Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new to me 06 ST3. Did my first valve job, changed the belts, and changed out the handlebars. Then proceeded to connect the battery up backwards. Go through all that and make the most rookie mistake possible. How can I fix this in 3 days?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I just bought a new to me 06 ST3. Did my first valve job, changed the belts, and changed out the handlebars. Then proceeded to connect the battery up backwards. Go through all that and make the most rookie mistake possible. How can I fix this in 3 days?
Oh shit. Sometimes, if you're lucky it just fries a ground in the ECU. Find the computer hookup under the seat and jump a ground from the connector to, well, ground. Keeping fingers crossed :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you mean the physical ground wire that is connected to the ECU?

·
19,081 Posts
Do you mean the physical ground wire that is connected to the ECU?
Under the seat on the left side there are two connectors. One is a two pin and one is a three pin. On the three pin there are only two wires and one is a ground. Connect that to ground and see if it starts. If not you probably need a new ECU which will set you back about $500.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found the ground, no luck. The headlight will go off when I hit the starter button.

·
19,081 Posts
Found the ground, no luck. The headlight will go off when I hit the starter button.
Sorry, thats about as far as my knowledge goes. There are smarter people here. Wait a while and maybe they can help.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
The headlight is programmed to go off when the starter is pressed to reduce the load when starting.

·
Registered
523 Posts
If you reconnected everything correctly but put the battery in backwards you may have killed the ECU. See the attached page from the 2004 ST3 manual. The wire labeled "4" is the ground for the ECU. That one is easy to miss when putting everything back together, especially the first time. Without that ground the bike won't start even if the battery is connected correctly. Verify that you have that ground connected.
Bill W.

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well, I know that feeling very well... later I became obsessed with details...
I fried the 40A (VR) fuse, the starter relay and a very expensive alarm.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I do have the ground connected but it is connected on the other side directly next to the ECU:(

·
Registered
218 Posts
Sounds like you were getting ready for a road trip. Sorry to here your troubles.
Did you check the fuses? Does the starter turn but not fire?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Road trip is in order, might have to ride the Monster!!! I replaced all the fuses. Bike will not turn over, fuel pump primes but no crank.:mad:

·
7,733 Posts
Your ECU is fried most likely. Time for a new one. :( There was a thread on this exact same thing and that was the outcome, battery installed backwards, ECU fried. I paint the positive + sign on my battery red to help align it with the positive terminal because it's easy to put it in backwards. Search the threads in this forum and you should come across that thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Road trip is in order, might have to ride the Monster!!! I replaced all the fuses. Bike will not turn over, fuel pump primes but no crank.:mad:
have you double checked the conetion at the solinod? hel use a pair of pliers and jump the two studs directly and see it it fire up.

·
7,733 Posts
Your ECU is fried most likely. Time for a new one. :( There was a thread on this exact same thing and that was the outcome, battery installed backwards, ECU fried. I paint the positive + sign on my battery red to help align it with the positive terminal because it's easy to put it in backwards. Search the threads in this forum and you should come across that thread.
EDIT: here is that thread I mention:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/40-sport-touring/126728-starting-problem-st3.html

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New ECU on its way however I jumped the solinod and the bike fired up. What does that mean? The EOB light stays on.:confused:

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks Craig!! I got the "19.2 Starter Solenoid shorted to earth" error. How to I test or even better fix the issue?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts