Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm a new Ducati rider and new to this forum as well. Earlier today my 749 dropped because of windy conditions( I live in the western part of Norway so this is normal).

the mirror, steering handle and clutch broke off. The side also got some scratches. Do any of you guys have any tips about what to do and buy? Do I have to do anything as soon as possible?

·
Registered
977 Posts
call insurance-scratches may cover deductible for new paint,parts.the Weather can be very unpredictable these days.good luck.(y)

·
Administrator
6,073 Posts
For parts, eBay is your friend.
How deep are the scratches?
If they down to the paint, I can help you fix it, if insurance doesn't cover it.
If it is still just clearcoat scratches, I can help you fix that with minor purchases of some products.

I know lots about fixing and painting the fairings.

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,319 Posts
I've accidentally dropped my 749 a couple of times. It sucks being short and not having leverage to hold it up. Anyway, I've replaced my mirrors with units from moto-science.com. They're not OEM style, but at least I can see behind me better now.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
my first two ducs had the suicide stands, my 748 I never dropped but one time after a ride on my 996, I didn't push the stand far enough forward and keep my foot there, so bike fell over with me on it. Only happened once which was enough

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
If they down to the paint, I can help you fix it, if insurance doesn't cover it.
If it is still just clearcoat scratches, I can help you fix that with minor purchases of some products.

I know lots about fixing and painting the fairings. View attachment 988903
Oh my GOD ... will you stop posting pictures of bad ass bikes you found on the internet and saying or implying you built them already????!!!!?!?!?!??

(kidding, of course. really nice! well done sir. T'umbs up, all 'round!)

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Oh boy tossing shit at administrator superior...your shit is going to have unexplained technical problems for years to come. 😁. Just joking.

Reactions: DuckMan and Rainman

·
Administrator
6,073 Posts
It's not IF you will drop the bike, but WHEN.
We have all done it and don't feel bad.

Shit happens, but we are all capable of fixing the broken things.
Trust me, we all have been there.

·
Administrator
6,073 Posts
Oh boy tossing shit at administrator superior...your shit is going to have unexplained technical problems for years to come. 😁. Just joking.
Ah you know, things like login fails, password changes, just the basic hell on a user.
LOL

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for responding guys! I am too new to this game so I am not comfortable to do much on my own. Do you know where to find manuals for replacing headlights etc? I guess I must deliver the bike for service anyway since the steering handle broke. Do you think the service will be 1000$+?

·
9,319 Posts
What model year is the bike? We have a collection of service manuals in the Tech section Sticky. Not everything is there, so if you don't see it, just ask. Someone still might have it for you.

·
9,319 Posts
sorry, it is from 2005

·
Premium Member
5,340 Posts

I know lots about fixing and painting the fairings. View attachment 988903
Not to take us off on a tangent, while that Marlboro livery was never my favorite, I always loved the inclusion of Alfa Romeo's famous cross and serpent badge...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think there might be some terminology issues here. Steering handle and clutch? If that's a clip on handlebar and clutch lever, you shouldn't have to pay anywhere near $1000. From the pic, it looks like the front brake lever is missing, so maybe it's the clutch cover that's damaged? Still a cheap and easy repair. OEM mirrors are expensive and tough to find for these. Seconding the moto-science mirrors if you're not concerned with originality.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I want that originality thou, so I guess I'll have to pay for it. I have now delivered the bike to a service center. I guess I'll have to wait and see what the price will be.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts