Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, it's my Monster that lost that fight, too.

The nutshell is the toolbag in the Hyundai couldn't be bothered to pay attention to the big "LEFT TURN ONLY" sign next to the red light he was sitting at, so when the light turned green, he went straight - and straight into me, as I was taking a legal left-hand turn from the right lane. (This intersection is a two-lane, one way street - where the left lane is a left-turn only, and the right lane is optional left-turn/optional straight; the cross street is a five-lane, one way street). So he was on the inside and went straight, I was on the outside, and turned.

Luckily, I walked away from it. This was a Monday morning, on my way to work, so I only had khakis on (which are miserable for any form of protection) - but my leather jacket/gloves, helmet & boots all did their job perfectly. My knees got rashed up, and there was some torn muscle behind one knee, but I'll take it.

The bike though ... not so lucky. And now I'm having a tough time finding some critical parts. I had the stock footpeg brackets, which pretty much disintegrated in the accident. An unfortunate side-effect was that they also destroyed the midpipes of my Ferracci high exit exhaust. The cans are fine; the midpipes are mangled. Can I get replacements? Not so much. So now I'm trying to find a suitable half system. I have my eye on a SilMoto Hi Mount Megaphone, but apparently everybody is out of stock. Besides Ferracci, MotoWheels & ECS - who else sells SilMoto?

Otherwise, the rest of the damage included (but not limited to): one snapped clip-on (supposed to do that, $14 to fix), two bend hand control levers (good time to place that order w/ Pazzo Racing), both bar-end mirrors, 2 turn signals, both footpegs, the exhaust midpipes, a slight scratch on the seat cowl, the rear axle ground down, the axle adjustor plates got bent up, and that's about it. The frame is fine, the tank untouched. And I got scabby knees for all my trouble.

Luckily: the driver admitted fault on the police report. :)
Unluckily: they totaled my bike. :(
Luckily: I bought it back for $100. :)

So I'm considering this an "unplanned upgrade opportunity". I'm trying to stay with the bounds of my insurance settlement, so the 853 dual spark cylinders, FCRs and supercharger didn't make the list. However, I picked up an awesome new integrated LED brakelight/turn signal unit from MotoDynamic (very impressed, guys), Ducati Corse rearsets, most likely a new exhaust, some new tools, oh yeah - and a 132db Fiamm Freeway horn from Aerostitch. It might be slightly more subtle than the 139db two-tone "Ear Cannon", which apparently has been known to convert heathens and soil undergarments.

Pictures, once it's back on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
By the way, I am looking for any hints and suggestions on tracking down the following:

• Sil Moto Carbon Fiber Hi Mount Megaphone half system
  • a "butt-stop" seat cowl

I like my seat cowl well enough, but since my Monster's not going to have passenger pegs (as my wife now refuses to ride on a motorcycle anymore, since getting hit - another unfortunate side effect of getting hit) - but I decided I'd like to replace the stock cover with one of those 'humps' that provides some support against slipping backwards. I've seen them, but I don't remember where.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Try this site for new midpipes. I emailed with the customer service rep a few months back regarding the striking similarities between the Arrow and FBF pipes for the S*R Monsters. Turned out he used to work for FBF and said Arrow builds all their current stuff. Site shows that you can order just the midpipe; hopefully it'll fit.

Best of luck on your recovery.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Good to hear you are OK..... I have avoided about 50 accident this year myself. Cell phones, texting, those bastards don't care at all.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Is it me or have drivers gotten noticeably worse in the last 6 months or so. Just when I don't think I can see anything more ridiculous than I just witnessed someone will do something to put the first move to shame. In the last 2 weeks I have been run off the freeway 2 times, run out of my lane at least 10 times, watched people doing makeup, texting, swerving. I yell, they don't care.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That's pretty sweet though that you were able to buy it back for peanuts!

Fortunate for you that you got off easy injury-wise!

·
Registered
923 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, it's scary. Here in CNY, July was the worst-ever month for motorcycle accidents and unfortunately, fatalities. This includes some toolbag pulling out in front of a senior ABATE member. I've even gone through that same intersection a couple times - stupidly attempting to recreate my incident, to see whether or not people really are that dumb - and sure enough. In two more passes, I see some douchebag do the same thing, but nobody got hit. Which tells me the city engineers ought to re-think that intersection, and the DMV needs to do something about drivers and their obvious lack of ability/consideration.

I can start a whole other thread for my rant on mandatory re-testing & tiered licensing if anybody's really interested. :rolleyes:

Be careful out there. I'm still rebuilding the bike, but I just installed my new Fiamm 'Freeway Blaster' yesterday ... can't wait to try it out. :D WEG

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Good to hear you are reasonably ok...and fixing the bike up! Same thing happened to me when i was driving an F350 with a dump body on it...a freaken huge truck. Some guy in a Hyundai Accent hit me though....damaged one of my wheels a little...totalled his car. Said he never saw me lol.

It's scary...must be Upstate NY Hyundai drivers!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Mental note to self, when in upstate New York watch out for hyundais!

Glad to see your alright an get the chance to put your bike back together

1 - 13 of 13 Posts