Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents.

As above. I primarily tend to frequent the uk Ducati forum more often than not but do login here less so. As above a silly break down of communications led to my Hyper needing a full engine rebuild. Making lemonade out of lemons as it were. And, while the thing is apart to the crankcases im going to use the opportunity to do a couple of other jobs which i would never, ever get the chance to do. I do like the 1st gen thread and of late its perked up a little bit. Started this thread a little way into the project so stuff is already happening. There were quite a few jobs on there to do and while it works and is in one piece i do tend to adopt the "meh....its working so ill do it at "x" point in time" ie when the winter starts, when it needs tyres etc etc. These are some of the jobs to tackle. Although, this will probably change as i find stuff....

1. Ducati fixings and finishes. This is the biggie. My OCD starts to kick in every time i lay eyes on the front barrel or, pretty well any part of the engine. Is it really that hard to learn from your mistakes Ducati? constantly they produce and turn out bikes that are great but, fuck me, the finishes and fixings are truly atrocious. The front barrel on mine at looks like its been sat at the bottom of a duck pond, and i dont go out in the rain (if i can avoid it). The base of the engine ive kinda stopped in its tracks by putting a bash guard on there. The side cases were truly awful but theyre now sorted (cerakoted black)

2. Sc Project 2-2 exhaust system. Stainless but dull tarnished and brown. Soon to be cerakoted black.

3. Full fluids, replacement. Front, back and clutch.

4. Head tuning work. Exhaust ports will be polished to a mirror finish and some internal head work (waiting for some guidance from another uk forum user)

5. Swing arm bearing overhaul. The swing arm bolt was quite rusty, so a few parts need to be ordered and the whole thing serviced.

Currently, as ive said in another thread the bike is in a ton of pieces all over the country. Things to note are:
a. The gearbox is in perfect condition. Selector forks are in good condition and the gearbox needs no work. Which is nice as ive heard stories of people saying "quick shifters kill ducati engines" well, not mine. Its been on there for 18 months and i use it quite often....
b. I was present when the crankcases were split and the mechanic said that the main bearing type was " a known point of failure " - to go into a bit more detail he said "while that bearing is fine and is the same in the SF1098 it has been known to fail, so much so, that, ducati chose to update the part." The new part comes in two halves apparently, the original one is well, what you would expect a bearing to look like.

So, while only a few things to do, the logistics of doing those "few things" means, a shed load of expenditure, a lot of driving around the country to pick up, drop off stuff, order parts, etc etc. The main problem at the moment is sorting out a replacement crank....got a crank, just need to get rods sorted out and the whole lot balanced....ill pick this up later on in the thread....

Coating has already started. The engine is being recoated in "Titanium". This will give it a bit of an update to the old "90's silver" finish. Pipes are being done in black. The engine should be ready this saturday along with the pipes and a few other bits too. Mr Cerakote'er is sending pics as stuff gets blasted and in turn coated. Bit nerdy but im assuming everyone will like the photos....ill throw some up in a bit....theres gonna be quite a few...

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
Keep us posted. I'm eager to see your progress. Maybe I missed it, but what failed and what was the cause of the failure?

Reactions: Austen

·
Registered
787 Posts
Always enjoy your well written and illustrated threads Comfy, looking forward to this one.
Just out of interest - will you be reinstalling the "E" in your Hypermotard (see thread title) or have you left it out to save weight?>:)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keep us posted. I'm eager to see your progress. Maybe I missed it, but what failed and what was the cause of the failure?
Silly mistake....handed my engine cases over after they were coated. Said to the receptionist ( at the bike shop) " can you get him to put them through the parts washer " that didn't happen and I thought it did....grit went straight to the crank....and that, they say is that...I should have checked but just assumed it was done...

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Always enjoy your well written and illustrated threads Comfy, looking forward to this one.
Just out of interest - will you be reinstalling the "E" in your Hypermotard (see thread title) or have you left it out to save weight?>:)
Oh yeah...didn't see that...

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
More pics...and this is my real beef with ducati and their coatings...head off the front barrel...

This is a 12k bike which hasn't seen a great deal of rain...

·
1st Gen Hypermotard Hooligan
995 Posts
Thanks for sharing the project with us! A shame about what happened, but at least you can take care of some of the items that you probably had on the back burner for a while. Always good to turn a negative into a positive when you can like this. The new coatings will sure freshen it up.

Looking forward to the next update! :)

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep. Shit happens....but had it not have happened id have not pulled the motor to do the coating til it did...sounds a bit weird but, this rebuild despite the coating should be more reliable. The way I see it is if it were to fail as is then the chances are the main bearing might have failed and in turn damaged the crankcases.....probably a new motor...I expect I'll have more piccies today and it looks at the moment I'll be on target for a Saturday collection...hopefully...

·
Registered
663 Posts
Nice thread @comfysofa. It's obviously not great having your bike in pieces, but man it's going to feel great when it's all back together. Even seeing photos of the engine cases and headers looking so perfect and pristine is giving me a fizz.

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Cheers. To be honest....the reason i tend to go over the top on the coatings is that in the longrun im trying to make life easier for myself. A few years back i rebuilt a KTM525 enduro into a supermoto and pretty well did the same thing....three years on and it still looks the same...like its just been built. In fact a few months back i took it for MOT (in the uk motor vehicles need to be tested once a year). I left it at the garage in the morning, passed the mot, collected it. Got a couple of miles out, stopped at the lights and smelt a horrible smell. I thought it was some sort of cleaning product that was still left on the engine but no, a bird had shat right down the side of the engine from the top of the barrel to the side engine casing. Got home, soaked the shit in WD40 and went and put the kettle on. 20 mins later, gave it a wipe with a cloth and it all came off. Easy. If that was the stock ktm coating id be chiseling it off now..!

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
2 more bits going off to be coated...Filler cap mount and that bit from the back of the tank that I think holds some cabling...gonna get done in titanium...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts