Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 60 of 2069 Posts

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
Its just the fuel line that is a problem, just make a zip entrance and its all good, in any case its much better filtering than stock. A big airfilterhouse around the stacks is larger area than stock and safer aswell.

No experience of them, DT1 up to 07 is what I tried. I'm looking to have a filter made, can a 1098 engine owner please measure a couple of things for me? please PM.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #43 (Edited)
Nice to see pictures of progress, I know how bad it is to work with epoxy :/

I have been talking to the filter guy and also did a bit of thinking, and it seems the 748R airbox is the easiest way.
It will solve three things in one sweep; good filter area, protecting the engine in case of a crash and a 2 piece box. Most likely I'll go this route.

Reason I want a 2-piece is I'll incorporate the TB's in the box and it will be tedious to remove a whole box compared to just the top.
Also there is already a good filter available, so I dont have to spend development money on something that in best case could be as good.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I believe the 748R style box is the best solution. I'm typically not a big fan of over-the-stack filters and I think in this application they would be quite restrictive. I believe it would be difficult to get enough surface area for the front cylinder unless it was large enough to encompass both stacks at once. As mentioned, the shower injectors and associated fuel lines and wiring make a large filter problematic. The stock 1098 style filter seems to be the easiest way to go. Obviously if that type of filter is to be used it will place a premium on sealing the box.

I'm still deciding on what method I want to use, my current plan is to use a cone style filter that will attach to the air runners and protrude into the upper box section. There appears to be plenty of room since the stacks are much lower (relatively). It's simple enough to make a small adapter so they will seal effectively to the runners and a small bracket can be used to secure both at the same time.

On the subject of injectors, harnesses and such. I purchased a dry-break connector to use on the fuel line. The idea is to have the fuel lines, injectors and wiring all mounted to the lower box section, that way it can be removed as a unit and most importantly to me, assembled on the bench (easy).

·
Registered
42 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Regarding air filters, i have used these for some time, and they have been brilliant.

Ducationly - the source for Ducati Motorcycle accessories. We send to Australia and Worldwide.

They are relatively cheap, seal very well, and dont take up much space in the airbox. They would work well in a crash, assuming the tank doesnt get ripped off, although they dont have the surface area of the stock 996 or 1098 style filters.....
That's kinda what I had in mind except I was thinking something a little more generic. Those are super clean and simple, I may just use those.

Thanks for the tip!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #47 (Edited)
Regarding air filters, i have used these for some time, and they have been brilliant.

Ducationly - the source for Ducati Motorcycle accessories. We send to Australia and Worldwide.

They are relatively cheap, seal very well, and dont take up much space in the airbox. They would work well in a crash, assuming the tank doesnt get ripped off, although they dont have the surface area of the stock 996 or 1098 style filters.....
Thanks for your concern.

Those filters are too small, and sorry the article has some unvalid arguments.
Space in the airbox is in no way critical, if you know those guys tell them to whipe that part, it will make it look better at least.

In case of a crash the tank easily lifts, and grovel going down would truly break my heart.

This is where I'm heading

·
Super Moderator
8,185 Posts
That is the same kind of filter we had on the 748R/999s hybrid we raced in the ERF Tom..
We then used the 999 bottom airbox part so we could fit the entire throttlebody assembly inside the box and the 748R top with the filter inbetween and then the tank above. Ended up being a very big airbox. Should have som pics lying around somewhere.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I appreciate all input, I don't want anyone to feel like they are not valid.

Sharing ideas helps everybody in this kind of project.

I have considered filters similar to what Ben suggested. At this point redesigning my box for an over the stack filter scares me. It is already larger in volume than a stock 1098/1198, and slides in and out with little trouble.

Track riding is few and far between for me. My goal has always been to make a street sleeper with minimal modification to the bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just go ahead, no need to make excuses, I dont but I'm old so I dont have to, but I see your point :)

I cant say anything but the filters offered are crap for this, honest and simple, nothing personal to anyone.
Thanks for input Tom!

I do like the one in the picture you posted, it's much better than what I envisioned.

New question is: How do get one, when can it be here and how much will it cost! I'd like to order mine now please...:D

·
Registered
374 Posts
Well I'm back in the states and I'm having a little issue... no fuel being injected! grrr... time to check out all the connections... anyways I still love this project... more pictures coming soon!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Well I'm back in the states and I'm having a little issue... no fuel being injected! grrr... time to check out all the connections... anyways I still love this project... more pictures coming soon!
Ok, we discussed this just before you left if I recall correctly, did you check if spark is there?

·
Super Senior Poster
6,328 Posts
My turn!

Bike: 1999 996
Why: Fun factor, and it was cheaper and easier to get more hp from a 1098 engine than a 996 engine... and way too much free time on my days off :) And to prove it to a 'someone' out there that I could get it done for less than $3500... so far, it looks like I'll win the bet :)
Setup: 996 frame with bone stock 1098 engine (for now)... using 1098 oem exhaust, cut and rewelded to fit 996 lines. Cans are cored out. 996 wiring loom. Kept the 996 fan with a little modification
Future plans: Suspension and brakes.
url: none yet, when I get home and finish my bike I'll post pics of everything...
Most difficult part of the build: Getting the injector brackets position right (angle).

:):)Special thanks to Tom for answering the 10000's questions I've had.
I must have PM'd Tom with a dozen or more questions regarding my 999...
He always has the time to give me a response and fully answer all my questions.....
Tom, your the best man, you really are....!!

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #57 (Edited)
I must have PM'd Tom with a dozen or more questions regarding my 999...
He always has the time to give me a response and fully answer all my questions.....
Tom, your the best man, you really are....!!
Dont make me blush :) I have in my turn asked a lot of people, so we need to keep it going, if you find anything please share it!

The old school guys would according to me typically think any information they have will be tricks of the trade, well I'm medium old but I'm a beleiver in sharing information.
There will be tricks of the trade for sure, but in the big scheme, share it!

Its been good fun talking to you J, well all of you! Building a ducati is something impossible to explain to a person not having that experience, so I appretiate this, happy new!

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
Would someone mass produce the parts required? I have a couple of frames and a 1098S but not much time

41 - 60 of 2069 Posts