Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2069 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I will show some air box pics soon, when it's pretty enough.

There is actually fiberglass curing in the kitchen right now.
It's too cold for it to cure in the garage!

·
Registered
374 Posts
My airbox isn't too pretty but its functional and thats all I care about hehehe... I want to redo my injector brackets when I get again.

·
Registered
361 Posts
does the motor bolt right up to the frame or it need any modifications done to it

·
Registered
304 Posts
does the motor bolt right up to the frame or it need any modifications done to it
from the 748 up to the 1198 engine mount and swing arm mount the same......

and to a point the geometry.........when someone wants to say their 1098 handles better than a 999 or 748........they can all be the same numbers.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Check out my pictures, it just slides in and bolts up. Like most other people who have done this will say, its the air box/and throttles that. My goal was to make this build on a budget. Part of that was not to touch or have to modify the frame at all. For the throttles I ended up flipping them around and doing this (white arrow). I believe some have modified the frame (v-bracket) and others had flipped them like me. There are pros and cons to doing it either way.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Out of curiousity will the 1098 swingarm fit the older bikes? I'm wondering if this is a good poor man's way to the longer mag swingarms of yore.

Also not sure what is needed from a practical standpoint regarding shock and rocker boltups (outside of mechanical motion of shock)...

·
Registered
304 Posts
Out of curiousity will the 1098 swingarm fit the older bikes? I'm wondering if this is a good poor man's way to the longer mag swingarms of yore.

Also not sure what is needed from a practical standpoint regarding shock and rocker boltups (outside of mechanical motion of shock)...
so having just been through the process of exactly this then the simple answer is yes..........with a little bit of know how..

have just fitted an 1198 swing arm in a 748r frame with a 16.5 10 spoke mag marchesini ....

·
Registered
145 Posts
The black 1198 swingarm looks really good on your bike!

A couple of pics showing the humps molded in the bottom of the air box to clear the upside down throttle linkage.

...and some prior mock-up pics in raw fiberglass. Finished product will be one piece finished in gelcoat of course.

·
Registered
494 Posts
I'm guessing you guys are using the bigger volume corse type air ducts and corresponding front nose fairing for this new airbox ??

If not let me know as I have moulds for them.

I'm getting very interested in this .... my old 1995 916SP come 996SPS is in the 'soon to be rebuilt' stage right now ... the motor blew long ago (10yrs ago !!! ... jeez, blink and your life's gone !!) after several seasons racing and then I just stripped the whole bike down and shelved/boxed it until recently when I started getting keen to rebuild the old gem. I kept some lightweight corse bits and bobs for the engine from my past corse projects but I'm over modifying the engine too much.

Anyway ..... rather than waste time/money on the SPS engine ..... maybe an 1198 ..... hmmm

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'm not sure about the others, but I am using the stock intakes and fairing.

I suppose the airbox I'm making could be cut out for either size intakes as it is blank as of now. Is this correct?

I will be going to get a mold made of my prototype air box after the first of the year. I will then have a better idea of how much each copy will cost, if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'll be using Corse runners on mine, mostly because that's what I've got.

Since mine will be a "track only" toy I'm focusing on serviceability and ease of maintenence. As such the airbox will be two-piece, the upper section will be separate from the lower, the lower will house the stacks, injectors, harness and fuel lines. The upper will house the air filter. All will be easily removable as a complete assembly, or serviceable separately.

I'll get pictures of my solutions up soon, I recently got a new camera need to figure out how to use it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
145 Posts
I'll be using Corse runners on mine, mostly because that's what I've got.

Since mine will be a "track only" toy I'm focusing on serviceability and ease of maintenence. As such the airbox will be two-piece, the upper section will be separate from the lower, the lower will house the stacks, injectors, harness and fuel lines. The upper will house the air filter. All will be easily removable as a complete assembly, or serviceable separately.

I'll get pictures of my solutions up soon, I recently got a new camera need to figure out how to use it. :rolleyes:
Good work! Would love to see it when you have a chance.

What kind of filter is used with the corse runners?
Since mine are stock, I'm leaning toward the bmc ones that slide over the inlet openings. Though I don't see a problem running the stock ones in the runners or a more free flowing variation of stock.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
Interesting this came up. (And thats why I love sharing)
I'm also looking to rebuild the box and the thought of having a 2 piece box is appealing, as I will have the box seal around the intakes and not the stacks as oem, a two piece would work really nice I think.

Up until now I used the corse intakes and made a filter inside the box where the inlets are, but it robbed some power, so I'm redoing it now.

I see two good ways, one is stock filters and the other one would be a over the stack filter like for the 996, I liked that as it robbed no power and incase of an accident nothing could get into the engine.

Any ideas are welcome.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Over the stack filter would be ideal, but i think making one seal with the shower injectors would be a headache. Not sure though.

Tom- do you have any experience with the bmc filters robbing power?

21 - 40 of 2069 Posts