Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2061 - 2068 of 2068 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
My 1098 swapped 916 is still going well but I do have a small issue that rears it's head now and then, on the horizontal cylinder there is a small coolant stub, on my bike I have this connected to the 916 coolant resevoir by some 4mm i/d hose. due to this being quite a thin hose it eventually gets a hole in it just above the clamp i use to hold it on the stub. It did it again yesterday, this will be the third time i've replaced it since doing the swap.
Hi Chris, try sourcing a hose that is more sturdy. I see you're in the UK, so you might not be able to buy from McMaster-Carr, but their website can help you find options that may be best suited for your use. I attached a screen grab of the selections I made ...
  • For: Coolant
  • Temp: 250-299 (then click "show" so you can also select 300-399)
  • Connection Style: Barbed
  • ID: 1/4" (I believe you need to repeat the search to see 6mm options as it forces Inch)
... that's what my next steps would be...

Thanks,
Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hi Chris,

Thanks for the thoughts on the issue, I've decided as part of a winter refresh I'm going to rework the cooling system to use the 1098 thermostat instead of the 916 one I currently use so will be able to use the proper hose designed for that connection on a 1098.

Chris

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok guys, so i brought a 1098 race bike that had been put into a 748 (i think) frame.

It was running well and competitively, but i intend to make it a road bike.

SO.... I got myself a 1098 loom from the states and proceeded to start wiring it in.

As a race bike it had no exhaust sensor, no sidestand switch, no clutch switch. However the ECU had been flashed, so i'm assuming i will not need the key sense ring or matched keys etc.

So now with the replacement loom in i have power to the dash, it primes the fuel pump and there's relays clicking in there but it doesn't crank over, or power the solenoid.

I've shorted the sidestand and clutch switch, what am i missing? Do they run diagnostics on other stuff i don't have like the exhaust servo and CO sensor?

I have no LH switchblock either if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated.

DUH! Light bulb moment this morning in the shed....

The race bike had a little plug doofer that replaced the key with the kill switch... when i put the stock loom in i used this as i have no key or LH switchblock.

Turns out i'd not plugged it into the LH switchblock plug... what a muppet... now it cranks

·
Registered
11 Posts
Anyone know of a person or vendor that can remove the immobilizer function in the dash? Preferably based in the US. I was quoted $300 for the job from a dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anyone know of a person or vendor that can remove the immobilizer function in the dash? Preferably based in the US. I was quoted $300 for the job from a dealer.
For what? 848/1098/1198 bikes immobilizer is originating from the dash. Basically, the dash checks for key and if approved, CAN bus message is changed to indicate immobilizer/key is OK. Then you're allowed to start.

You can go about this multiple ways.

1: Make the ECU ignore immobilizer. Reflash needed. You'll still have the error code.
2: Remove the immobilizer chip in the key, tape it to the immobilizer antenna. Issue gone.
3: Hook up a CAN bus message intercepter that rewrites the immobilizer packet.

If you don't have any keys that are paired to the dash, and/or missing the PIN code for it, there's multiple services available on the interwebz that can extract that information and help you recode keys/chips. I know of a guy in Providence, Rhode Island that does it cheaper than those. I'm also able to do it, however, I'm in EU and thus shipping will be the trouble. There's also the legality of the matter :unsure:

EDIT: Removed stupidity.

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
I
For what? 848/1098/1198 bikes immobilizer is originating from the dash. Basically, the dash checks for key and if approved, CAN bus message is changed to indicate immobilizer/key is OK.

This only affects the starter button if I understand it right, and you should be able to start the bike by providing 12v to the starter solenoid. I think that was how older bikes had the starter button wired.

You can go about this multiple ways.

1: Make the ECU ignore immobilizer. Reflash needed. You'll still have the error code.
2: Remove the immobilizer chip in the key, tape it to the immobilizer antenna. Issue gone.
3: Rewire starter button to solenoid somehow. You'll still have the error code.
4: Hook up a CAN bus message intercepter that rewrites the immobilizer packet.

If you don't have any keys that are paired to the dash, and/or missing the PIN code for it, there's multiple services available on the interwebz that can extract that information and help you recode keys/chips. I know of a guy in Providence, Rhode Island that does it cheaper than those. I'm also able to do it, however, I'm in EU and thus shipping will be the trouble. There's also the legality of the matter :unsure:
I believe it the immobiliser cuts fuel as well as the starter. It can’t be hijacked simply wiring the starter relay to the start button.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I

I believe it the immobiliser cuts fuel as well as the starter. It can’t be hijacked simply wiring the starter relay to the start button.
You're right. The ECU definitely should cut more than the starter solenoid. I wasn't thinking straight. Disregard that part.

2061 - 2068 of 2068 Posts