Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

2041 - 2060 of 2068 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Bit of a bump for this thread,

My 1098 swapped 916 is still going well but I do have a small issue that rears it's head now and then, on the horizontal cylinder there is a small coolant stub, on my bike I have this connected to the 916 coolant resevoir by some 4mm i/d hose. due to this being quite a thin hose it eventually gets a hole in it just above the clamp i use to hold it on the stub. It did it again yesterday, this will be the third time i've replaced it since doing the swap.

What do other people do with this hose? What purpose does it serve, on the 1098 it feeds back into the coolant hose off the horizontal union that goes to the thermostat, I'm not sure of it's purpose but I'm wondering if i can just blank it off and remove the stub from the cylinder and fill the hole with a grub screw thus solving my issue.

Any thoughts?

Chris

·
Registered
265 Posts
Post a photo of what you're talking about please. My gut reaction is to replace the rubber hose with a stainless braided hose that won't burst. But by getting a better idea of what you're talking about with a photo, there may be a better solution.

·
Registered
187 Posts

thats the stub, turns out it's 6mm not 4 I measured it again today whilst taking the pictures, it goes upto the small stub attached to the coolant neck on the resevoir

Chris

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,044
Should go to the return pipe to the cooler. I used the 1098 parts with the thermostat and all and molded it to fit the 996 water cooler, have a look at the 1098 parts manual and see.
Guessing the reason its there is because it would be nearly impossible to get the air out else.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So is it better to start with a 748-998 and add 1198S parts (motor, harness, ECU, front end, etc.), or start with an 1198S and add 748-998 parts (frame, subframe, swingarm, shock, tank, bodywork, rear wheel, etc.)?

·
Registered
11 Posts
I am 70 pages into this thread!

Can someone explain what work is needed to the electrical wiring if running TomTom's EPROM chip?

I'm debating going through that route or purchasing all the 1098 electronics. I'd be doing it just to have the dash to be honest haha

·
Registered
11 Posts
Received my engine today. It's a little dirty and an exhaust stud is snapped to my dismay, but apparently it runs. So time to tear it down!

Also got a dash from a forum member. Good introduction to the community I should say :)

My boss is/should be giving me his 1098 ECU and entire harness for free. And we've got a bunch of parts laying around the shop that I can Macguyver together - including the 1098 swingarm. Not sure if the swingarm is worth it though...

Let the games begin...

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ok guys, so i brought a 1098 race bike that had been put into a 748 (i think) frame.

It was running well and competitively, but i intend to make it a road bike.

SO.... I got myself a 1098 loom from the states and proceeded to start wiring it in.

As a race bike it had no exhaust sensor, no sidestand switch, no clutch switch. However the ECU had been flashed, so i'm assuming i will not need the key sense ring or matched keys etc.

So now with the replacement loom in i have power to the dash, it primes the fuel pump and there's relays clicking in there but it doesn't crank over, or power the solenoid.

I've shorted the sidestand and clutch switch, what am i missing? Do they run diagnostics on other stuff i don't have like the exhaust servo and CO sensor?

I have no LH switchblock either if that matters.

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's the same dash and ECU that was in the race bike, it's not asking for a code.

The other option, how easy is it to just use a 748 loom (which i have) I wire in the coils and buy a chip from Tomtom?

·
Premium Member
4,790 Posts
If you have the original 748 ecu and harness you’ll struggle to start it let alone run it . Will be WAY to lean. Send the chip off to Tom so he can remap for you.

·
Registered
91 Posts
If you have the original 748 ecu and harness you’ll struggle to start it let alone run it . Will be WAY to lean. Send the chip off to Tom so he can remap for you.
Thanks... it seems from previous posts that he may be away on holiday.

But providing i can run the 748 loom and ECU it is probably the best option. Trying to make the 1098 loom go without all the extra's seems like an unnecessarily stressful mission so far

2041 - 2060 of 2068 Posts