Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2068 Posts

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So here goes all builds relevant to this combo.
Any 748/916/996/998 frame with an evo or evoII engine in it will do.

In my humble opinion the first one was Joerg From Germany, kudos to him.
I couldnt really tell the 1198 would fit, so I ordered a really expensive lump just hoping, thats betting for ya :) And they were expensive in 09.

Lets hear what route you went for and why.
Just a suggestion start with this:
Bike:
Why:
Setup:
url:

I'll have to start as I started the thread, cant just leave it blank.

Bike: 996sps 00
Why: Old motor broken, thrilling project, like the 916 look and I'm a sucker for excessive power and developing any bike. Its not wisest or fastest but its my personal idea of fun.
Setup: new 1198 engine for starters, then rebuilt, corse 57mm 996RS exhaust but everything else 996sps.
url: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/56-superbikes/84253-996sps-1198-engine-project.html

Ok, lets get them up!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I would but he persuaded me to take his thread offline on my forum. I´m sorry buddy.

But from the top of my head:

Bike: used to be a 748R, then 998S, then modified with a 1098R engine and all that Corse scheisse stuff.
Why: Because he´s pretty loco? Tinkering addiction I guess.
Setup: 1098R engine, bone stock. All 1098R eletronics (loom, dash, traction control), custom airbox (based on an RS box), big air runners. I think he used a 998RS radiator. 60mm RS exhaust with 1098R connectors.
url: sorry... only his gallery on my forum: Alben von Joerg: 998/ 1098

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm IN!

Bike: 1995 916

Why: This is a track/race only bike for me. I purchased it with a very high-strung full race Ferracci engine. It was vary fast and fairly powerful but also tempermental. Since I'm an old dog, learning a new trick (racing motorcycles), I decided it would be best to have something that required less maintenence. I've built many race only cars in my day so doing the swap didn't scare me. When I looked at prices for a good engine, that didn't scare me, so this was a natural. I'm convinced it will require less maintenence, it will have more power, which is good (I'm a big boy), and it's totally cool.

Set-up: 1995 916 frame, 1098R motor. Full 1098 wiring harness. 57mm exhaust (because that's what the 916 had). As mentioned elswhere, the airbox is my current hurdle but I see a way clear and will be moving full-steam-ahead soon.

December will be the first ride...Hopefully!

·
Banned
2,888 Posts
I won't clutter up this thread other than to first say that the engine swap is the last thing left to do for my 996, hopefully 2012 will be the golden year for that. That will mostly be thanks to Tom, Ben, and all the other inspiring gamblers who took the leap and DID what we were only thinking of doing.

Thanks guys, and I look forward to seeing this thread grow nearly as fast as any 'my wife's boobies' thread!

DT

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Just for the record, I didn´t swap any Desmo engine for an Evo. My friend did, so I can´t take any credit for that ;)

·
Registered
183 Posts
:)

In progress......

916 frame. Running 27mm off set yokes and 1098 swing arm, shock and linkage etc.

1098s engine and injectors installed. Running STM slipper clutch.
Running 916 wiring loom using 1.6 ecu. 1098 coil packs. 916 injector loom spliced to 1098 tps.
Custom airbox and injector brackets.

PC111 for time being.

916/1098 cooling system with fan retained.

Running 1098 exhaust ( flapper valve removed) with custom link pipe and 50mm Termi cans. For the time being.

Was my track bike running full 996sps engine, exhaust etc. Will still be my track bike but will be used on road when I feel the need for a thrap!:D

With 748 on the fairings, just to be a naughty boy, lol.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My turn!

Bike: 1999 996
Why: Fun factor, and it was cheaper and easier to get more hp from a 1098 engine than a 996 engine... and way too much free time on my days off :) And to prove it to a 'someone' out there that I could get it done for less than $3500... so far, it looks like I'll win the bet :)
Setup: 996 frame with bone stock 1098 engine (for now)... using 1098 oem exhaust, cut and rewelded to fit 996 lines. Cans are cored out. 996 wiring loom. Kept the 996 fan with a little modification
Future plans: Suspension and brakes.
url: none yet, when I get home and finish my bike I'll post pics of everything...
Most difficult part of the build: Getting the injector brackets position right (angle).

Special thanks to Tom for answering the 10000's questions I've had.

·
Registered
304 Posts
:)

In progress......

916 frame. Running 27mm off set yokes and 1098 swing arm, shock and linkage etc.

1098s engine and injectors installed. Running STM slipper clutch.
Running 916 wiring loom using 1.6 ecu. 1098 coil packs. 916 injector loom spliced to 1098 tps.
Custom airbox and injector brackets.

PC111 for time being.

916/1098 cooling system with fan retained.

Running 1098 exhaust ( flapper valve removed) with custom link pipe and 50mm Termi cans. For the time being.

Was my track bike running full 996sps engine, exhaust etc. Will still be my track bike but will be used on road when I feel the need for a thrap!:D

With 748 on the fairings, just to be a naughty boy, lol.
In a 748r frame |I am also running a 1198 swing arm and flat rocker, ttx shock, 30mm offset mag yokes 16.5 625 mag 10 spoke rear, 999r 10 spoke front...r t ohlins front brembo sbk discs...radial brembos...along with a 170 hp 92 llbft 1099cc testastretta.....

·
Registered
513 Posts
Let see some pictures! We have all seen TomTom's but lets see yours. I am going to do this in the future for sure!

·
Registered
42 Posts
This is brilliant, i have been thinking along these lines for about the last 12 months, prompted by the cost of 6 new rockers in the old desmoquattro.

I'll be starting my build in the next few months, it would be great to see photos and details of all other builds so far....

please post more photos...!!!!!

Many thanks

·
Registered
374 Posts
Here are some before and after pictures of the old and new engine. Fits like a glove.. when I return back to the states I'll post more of the airbox, exhaust, and stuff...

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Here are some before and after pictures of the old and new engine. Fits like a glove.. when I return back to the states I'll post more of the airbox, exhaust, and stuff...

Looks good. :)

Its the perfect conversion. Fantastic power ( And thats without any engine tweaking) in a very good chassis, with classic styling. And sounds superb.;)

Im gonna go with a Black frame this time. I will post up some pics when I have the frame back and I start putting together for the final time.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'd sign for all those arguments but the sound, I mean its not bad in any way, but the best ever sound would be 916sp, followed by sps, they really make my furr stand up.

However the marginally less interesting engine note is a cheap price for the rest of the benefits, agreed!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Looks good. :)

Its the perfect conversion. Fantastic power ( And thats without any engine tweaking) in a very good chassis, with classic styling. And sounds superb.;)
Exactly why this conversion made sense to me and upgrading a 996 engine to make what the 1098 makes stock is $$$$.

·
Registered
145 Posts
It's good to see a thread dedicated to this swap.

I have been working on mine for over a year now, I know, I know...
I'm a day job motorcycle mechanic and I have 3 little girls, so my bike gets very little time.

1999 base 996
Stock 1098 engine
Stock 996 wiring and ECU except injection harness of course
50 or 52mm termi system mated to 1098 head pipes

I tried the exhaust several ways, the diameter is not big, but appears 996 stock. I figure it should still flow better than a 1098 stock muffler system.

The one thing that is most important to me in this project is not changing the frame or anything, so the bike can always be returned to stock. Throttle linkage is changed to work over the frame, which also creates the need for a tunnel molded in the floor of the air box to clear...big pain in the ass!

The air box is the biggest time consuming piece. It has been a long process
with several clay sculptures, plaster casts, etc. It is fiberglass and will be a quality piece that can be molded and copied when done.

Nice to meet all of you!

1 - 20 of 2068 Posts