Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I got a 950 SP. I am not too tall 5'8", 5'9". This bike is very high for me. I am interested in the lowered seat from Ducati Performance Accessories. Is that seat already on the bike or the regular version? This means there might be 3 seats since the SP is diff from base I believe. I also got a skin put on from Ducabike for softness and it looks great. Also a recommendation for newbies out there.... riding at 65 the wind will give u a workout. There is no wind shield obviously. I ordered the Puig one which should be here within next few days. My upper body was hurting for 2 days after a 40 mile ride. Its fine for street or low speeds, but once u get up there, hold on tight and try to crouch which is almost impossible with that flat seat.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
It goes without saying the hyper is never going to be a great highway bike. That said, I'm surprised that it took two days to recover from 30 minutes at highway speeds?

I probably done a hundred miles+ on a KTM 690 SMC r on slab, and while not ideal, there certainly wasn't any post ride discomfort.

What specifically were you afflicted with?

·
Premium Member
12,238 Posts
In the wind is what it is all about. The nature of the beast.
Riding hiway speeds into a 30mph headwinds doesn't help.
Me thinks you need to harden the [email protected] up being very blunt as an Australian may put it.
(Look it up! Wink)
Windjammer fairings of olden times took that challenge on way back when. The old goldwings had a big chunk of metal added to the front end for stability...
Some core exercises may be in order too, and I'll wager you had a death grip going on too...
Look at all the fun you are having, makes it all worth it...

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,070 Posts
Yea. Man up. Lol. :)

Pfft. I rode my 690 duke all the way from Key West to Houston in two days. All interstate and most of the time the throttle was Just a C-hair from WFO. And I was 65 at the time.

And I’ll tell you right now passing 18 wheelers on that bike is way different than doing on the 999. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, I was doing 65-70 on the highway for 45 min. Not 30mph for 10 min lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not used to naked bikes. I've always had an R6 or F4i. This sitting up position puts a toll on ur arms and upper body. All the wind is against you and ur holding on not to be blown off. There is no aero dynamics involved here. Anyway, ordered a Puig wind screen so I will post updates. I dont go to the gym or workout. It put a beating on my upper body. I will get used to it I guess.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Guys, I was doing 65-70 on the highway for 45 min. Not 30mph for 10 min lol.
We got that. It doesn't change our point that it shouldn't take you two days to recover. I'd have had the same reaction if you were riding for 2 hours at that speed.

·
Premium Member
1,814 Posts
Im not used to naked bikes. I've always had an R6 or F4i. This sitting up position puts a toll on ur arms and upper body. All the wind is against you and ur holding on not to be blown off.
Once you get used to it you have zero pressure on your arms. BTW same with a sport bike. It's all about the core.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Im not used to naked bikes. I've always had an R6 or F4i. This sitting up position puts a toll on ur arms and upper body. All the wind is against you and ur holding on not to be blown off. There is no aero dynamics involved here. Anyway, ordered a Puig wind screen so I will post updates. I dont go to the gym or workout. It put a beating on my upper body. I will get used to it I guess.
I get what you are saying. Keep in mind the flexible seating arrangement of the HM allows you to move around more than on a sport bike. When I am riding on the highway (70-80 mph) I normally alternate between crouched prone close to the tank vs leaning forward with bent arms letting the draft hold me up. The helmet buffeting is my biggest issue, I am wearing AGV size M and it's perfect for everything other than highway riding - tends to start lifting on my head. Not the fault of the HM. I am planning a couple multi-day trips with my son soon (he is riding Honda sport bike) so I will install a Puig (or similar) to help out on the commuting miles. Will go with clear so that it's not as noticeable to ruin the great lines of the bike. Vanity...yep. :)

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
If the wind blast at 65 bugs you, wind it up to 130 and get back to me.
When you slow back down 65 will be a nice mellow breeze.

Personally the monkey humping football position of many sport bikes is way worse than a little wind.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
When I'm cruising on the freeway for a period of time, I'll put my feet back on the passenger pegs. This folds them up a bit but also. somehow, gives me more support in my core to aid in relaxing my arms.

I have been riding naked bikes for many years and I almost developed Carpel Tunnel Syndrome from my first Hyper. It was a set of Woodcraft rearsets for that bike that shined the light on the rearward pegs helping with the core muscles.

Dave

1 - 15 of 15 Posts