Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cam across this comparo of bikes around a kart track from Performance Bikes magazine so decided to write about it.

Count me as one of the people who being brought up on sportbikes looks with skepticism on the claims about the capabilities of modern motard style bikes like the Ducati Hypermotard. Fans would have you believe that on tight, twisty roads the Hypermotard will eat more powerful sportsbikes for breakfast. Well now the June issue of Performance Bikes magazine have pitted the Hypermotard against a Suzuki GSX-R1000K9 on a go-kart track. Should suit the Hypermotard right……right? All the details here

·
7,733 Posts
I cam across this comparo of bikes around a kart track from Performance Bikes magazine so decided to write about it.

Count me as one of the people who being brought up on sportbikes looks with skepticism on the claims about the capabilities of modern motard style bikes like the Ducati Hypermotard. Fans would have you believe that on tight, twisty roads the Hypermotard will eat more powerful sportsbikes for breakfast. Well now the June issue of Performance Bikes magazine have pitted the Hypermotard against a Suzuki GSX-R1000K9 on a go-kart track. Should suit the Hypermotard right……right? All the details here

Multi Strada owners will tell you their bike would have "won" that contest. :)

·
Registered
865 Posts

Some people believe an apple can roll faster down a cardboard ramp than a orange.... we have proven that a banana can actually beat them both on a 5 ft. playground slide...

Just ride the bike you feel is the funnest, coolest too look at and makes you excited. No mag article needed. I sense that you are upset about the claims of the Hyper... Stop wasting your time with silly articles like this... Go ride a Hyper then report back. If you haven't test rode one then you aren't even qualified to post about it. I can't stand the sport bike riding position, but I could more likely do better lap times on one at the track, but I know I wouldn't have as much fun because I'm more comfortable. Do you get it?

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wow, interesting results to say the least.

I'm not entirely surprised as they weight nearly the same.

A true supermoto such as the KTM probably could have taken the crown.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have a fully motarded CRF450 that I ride on a cart track. Its pretty funny to see some guy bring out his literbike, do 2 laps and go home because he can't get it out of 1st gear and slow it down in time for the turns. Its like a 5lb. fish in a 10 gallon tank. Just don't work well.

·
Registered
51 Posts

Who Cares?????????

·
Registered
862 Posts
I am curious how stock the Hyper was. The $15 opened up airbox lid makes a noticeable difference, maybe worth 1/10th of a second? In stock form the bike has a serious head cold; all stuffed up and under fueled.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Some people believe an apple can roll faster down a cardboard ramp than a orange.... we have proven that a banana can actually beat them both on a 5 ft. playground slide...

Just ride the bike you feel is the funnest, coolest too look at and makes you excited. No mag article needed. I sense that you are upset about the claims of the Hyper... Stop wasting your time with silly articles like this... Go ride a Hyper then report back. If you haven't test rode one then you aren't even qualified to post about it. I can't stand the sport bike riding position, but I could more likely do better lap times on one at the track, but I know I wouldn't have as much fun because I'm more comfortable. Do you get it?
I put up with the sportbike riding position for years. Now that I've moved to a Monster I wish I would have stopped persevering with the torture racks many years earlier!

·
Premium Member
12,284 Posts
one tenth of a sec?????

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Hypermotard is a great bike. Gives great handling with very comfortable ergos. And, it is a bada$$ looking piece. It would sure be nice to have a few bikes...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Interesting to see the hyper had a higher top speed.

·
Registered
592 Posts
anti hyper propaganda. should be banned. obviously written by homo sports bike riders.

mate just pickup up an RC8-R. that is a noice bike!!!

anyone got the issue of the mag mentioned at the start with the article pitching the SP1(RC51) against the others? I still want my SP2 back.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
anti hyper propaganda. should be banned. obviously written by homo sports bike riders.

mate just pickup up an RC8-R. that is a noice bike!!!

anyone got the issue of the mag mentioned at the start with the article pitching the SP1(RC51) against the others? I still want my SP2 back.
Funny how they wrote off the SP1 when it was new and now it's as much fun to ride as a 1198S. I had a nice SP2 in Sydney and I loved it although it was still too heavy, with mismatched suspension and not enough mid-range. It was something special though but my S4Rs engine is better in every respect. Occasionally think about picking up an RC51 as a trackday bike and then come to my senses :)

·
Registered
139 Posts
Would like to see how a less experienced or amateur driver (like 99% of the daily drivers) would have done it.

More than 100hp is very difficult to handle, but fun anyway.

·
Registered
265 Posts
That article has way to many unknowns. The say that the track had 10 turns but no picture of the track (10 flowing turns, stop & go turns). IMHO still riding both 1098 & Hyper the first feels better on the brakes but that is because the suspension. I have only made minor changes to the Hyper suspension wise (sage & minor tweaks). The Hyper does have some what of a vague turn in on the brakes stock.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Would like to see how a less experienced or amateur driver (like 99% of the daily drivers) would have done it.

More than 100hp is very difficult to handle, but fun anyway.
This is a good point. There is fast for an expert (most aren't) and there is also how much fun it is.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts