Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been riding on and off since 1998. First bike was a 748 and then a M750. I've moved to Timor-Leste (East Timor) about 2 years ago and have been bitten by the bug again. I've haven't ridden for the last 4 years. I'm thinking of importing a Hypermotard 1100evo sp, but I'm wondering if its suitable for the roads here.

We're talking about tarmac with potholes, bits which have been washed away. The main roads will be tarmac with some potholes, and the side roads to certain villages and towns may pretty much gravel or rocks.

I'm not interested in a MS, just the Hyper. I would probably spend most of my time on the main roads, but there will be occasion where I may want to go a village or something where the roads will be in disrepair.

I'm also concerned about the reliability for the motard.

I would appreciate any feedback or insight that you can offer.

Thanks!

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,371 Posts
Reliability is sound, I wouldnt worry about it.

But if youre looking to go off road or around rough roads it might be a tab bit uncomfortable. Might look into getting a better seat and a rear hugger to protect your rear shock.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reliability is sound, I wouldnt worry about it.

But if youre looking to go off road or around rough roads it might be a tab bit uncomfortable. Might look into getting a better seat and a rear hugger to protect your rear shock.
Thanks for the tip about the rear hugger. I haven't sat on one yet, but I'm surprised about why you think it would be uncomfortable? it looks like a big scrambler to me. I'm 6 ft 1 so I think i should be ok to ride it.

Will the bike be able to handle the terrain though?

·
Premium Member
2,349 Posts
and then you would have an MS, sort of... but Timor Leste does not sound much like a Hyper Motard friendly place. Why are not interested in the infinitely more capable (for your area) MS?

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,371 Posts
I'm surprised about why you think it would be uncomfortable? it looks like a big scrambler to me. I'm 6 ft 1 so I think i should be ok to ride it.

Will the bike be able to handle the terrain though?
I guess it depends on your weight a little bit. When I got mine the suspension was very stiff. I weight about 180 and had them soften it up a bit. I guess you'll know when you get it.

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
The hym is good (my brother has one) and Im guessing that with modedrate changes it could work well.
Put som scorpion trail tires on it or maybe the knobbier tkc80 that are coming. Then soften the suspension.

Maybe put some stronger rims on? Doesnt the hym share rim size with the old mts?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
253 Posts
Hi all,

I've been riding on and off since 1998. First bike was a 748 and then a M750. I've moved to Timor-Leste (East Timor) about 2 years ago and have been bitten by the bug again. I've haven't ridden for the last 4 years. I'm thinking of importing a Hypermotard 1100evo sp, but I'm wondering if its suitable for the roads here.

We're talking about tarmac with potholes, bits which have been washed away. The main roads will be tarmac with some potholes, and the side roads to certain villages and towns may pretty much gravel or rocks.

I'm not interested in a MS, just the Hyper. I would probably spend most of my time on the main roads, but there will be occasion where I may want to go a village or something where the roads will be in disrepair.

I'm also concerned about the reliability for the motard.

I would appreciate any feedback or insight that you can offer.

Thanks!
Have you considered the Triumph Scrambler?

Triumph Scrambler A & S Powersports Roseville, CA (916) 726-7334

The HM is pretty much a street machine and the tires that the SP comes with are almost would I would say are track tires.

The Scrambler OEM's are kinda all terrain and that is what the bike is designed for, and from what you say better for your terrain/roads.

It's also about half the price of a new SP and for a bike that's likely to get beaten up some....well...IMHO, the HM SP is just too expensive and nice bike to be taken on roads that you describe, for me anyways. I would never do it. But then, I tend to baby my machines.

That's kinda an unusual place you live in. Whatcha do there?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If the majority of your riding is on Tarmac, just poorly surfaced, the hyper is fine. It eats up potholes. I'd go for the EVO, not the EVOsp, as I think this is the street dedicated model.
As far as dirt roads go, of it's just a matter of getting from a to b, watch
'hypermotard hunter mountain hill climb' on YouTube and read his comments.
There are better suited bikes, eg a ktm adventure. But I'd personally get more pleasure from owning the bike that does it for me, and riding around its limitations

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Have you considered the Triumph Scrambler?

Triumph Scrambler A & S Powersports Roseville, CA (916) 726-7334

The HM is pretty much a street machine and the tires that the SP comes with are almost would I would say are track tires.

The Scrambler OEM's are kinda all terrain and that is what the bike is designed for, and from what you say better for your terrain/roads.

It's also about half the price of a new SP and for a bike that's likely to get beaten up some....well...IMHO, the HM SP is just too expensive and nice bike to be taken on roads that you describe, for me anyways. I would never do it. But then, I tend to baby my machines.

That's kinda an unusual place you live in. Whatcha do there?
The Triumph scrambler seems like an interesting proposition. I've started looking at it and it seems there differing opinions on its off-road capability. It looks great too, although I am a bit worried about the high exhaust pipes. Are they truly capable off-road and reliable? I won't be hunting for river beds to cross, although on occasion I may have to. It will be a weekend bike, majority of the riding will be tarmac with the bits and pieces of dirt off road.

For those interested, here is a link to the Tour de Timor which is a MTB race held yearly. You can see what the roads look like in the video.

The locals here tend to ride scooters or Indonesian made Honda Mega Pros Honda Mega Pro New and they go all over the country with these bikes. I come from Singapore (Land size 723 Km sq or about 3 times the size of Washington DC). Highly populated and built-up with all highway riding and no scenery, so coming to a place like Timor is a dream for a rider like me and I want to make the best of it. I just need the right bike and I'm partial to Ducs. The MS just isn't my cup of tea though.

My brother-in-law started the first insurance company here and I do business development.

Thanks for all the replies, please keep the recommendations coming! Even if its for something other than the Hym.

·
Registered
20 Posts
'Ducati hypermotard -A for adventure'
On YouTube was tailor made for your question.

Seeing as your open to other bikes I'd get a 660cc ktm or Yamaha adventure bike

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I might be stepping on some toes here, but I'd say the Hyper is not that suited for those kind of roads.

I had the experience of riding on a gravel with fine pebbles a few days ago and it made me so nervous. I have some experience in the dirt, ride MX and do some off-roading at times, but the HM is just too precious for that. Drop it once and you're looking at at least $500+ in damages. I dropped a KTM super enduro 950 once, $25 for the side fairing NEW at the dealers and $50 for a new set of handguards. Dropped my hyper under similar conditions and I still haven't got the money to repair the fairings.

Go with a KTM 690 SMC instead with some all-road tyres, or a KTM 950 super enduro (although they are a bit heavy and I'm not too fond of the front brakes).

The Hyper is a pure street bike with a Supermoto look, but it's not a supermoto by far.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ive done some fire roads and forestry roads w dried out creek beds covered in river rocks(way more 'offroad' than the video posted above). U definitely need a hugger to protect the rear shock shaft and some pirelli mt60 tires or superbike race rain tires??? The dp bottom plate protects the bottom of the oil filter but not the front header pipe. Theres a company who makes a good one and has some parts for an pseudo enduro hyper but ud have to search for that in the forum somewhere.

Double check ur rear brake. I never use mine on the street but when i got to the dirt i discovered it needed to be bleed cause it barely worked. Its a pain because u wanna remove the caliper from the mount to do ir properly...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts