Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a well seasoned Dual Sport rider looking for something a bit more reasonable for street use. I really like the visibility I get from a Dual Sport and suspension travel really works well with speed bumps and rough roads in general. What I don't really like are the seats and being blown around on the street by passing vehicles. While I can put a better seat on a Dual Sport, I don't really need the off-road capability and want better road manners. I also don't want heavy steering or to be pitched over on my wrists so, no cruisers or Super Sports.

I checked out a Multistrada 950 at a dealership that also had a BMW baby GS (think it was an 850). The Multistrada really seemed to be top heavy coming off the kickstand. I'm sure some panniers would help but, compared to the BMW it was really obvious. This has me thinking about other Ducati options.

The Monster 821 is where a lot of people start and I'm sure it is a good option. However, I wonder how the Hypermotard 950 and StreetFighter compare. What I don't want is a leaned forward 'race' stance as I want something comfortable for an older guy like myself. I doubt I would use the V4 StreetFighter power that often so, a $20K purchase price doesn't seem likely to win over my wallet. The Hypermotard 950 SP looks like it is basically a SuperMoto so, more of a dual sport riding position with good visibility and a better seat.

For someone who wants to be able to ride 250 miles each way to a lunch or dinner spot and ride home, which models do and don't make sense? Realistically, I'm looking at about 1,000 miles a month so, ownership costs are a factor as well. Any of these options will run Interstate speeds without issue or concern but, what about slower paces on rural roads? If I want to do a tour, which of these don't have good luggage options (hard panniers, soft luggage, etc.) Any real winners or losers compared to the others?

Between a Monster, Hypermotard and, StreetFighter, which would (or did) you buy? Why? What won you over?

TIA,
Sid

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Oh ffs Sid, did you mean to start an argument? LOL
I myself have found an upright bike with plenty of leverage and sight to be the best. This is after 30 years of sportbikes on the road and numerous trackdays. You are going to balance handling and horsepower to conventional thinking. Hyper is close but misses the mark because of conventional riding. Strada makes most sense with dual sport ideals and travel capabilities.

Break you back on a sportbike or ride happy on a dualsport that is sporty?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Multi 950!
Quite a nimble bike (significantly nimbler than the 1260), super comfortable for longer rides, enough power..... all the weight you mentioned is not really noticeable once off the side stand. I’m biased, since it was my option, but I’m loving the bike.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hyper is close but misses the mark because of conventional riding. Strada makes most sense with dual sport ideals and travel capabilities.
Meaning the Streetfighter is too much like riding a Super Sport? And the Hyper isn't really a good road bike?

What about the Monster series?

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
Exactly. I wouldnt think the Monster would fill your needs. Not to say, your gonna change handlebars or mounting or footprint I will reside and allow some others to add here. You are taking bikes out of their original destination and changing it. They all have a point. Its up to you to find it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't have any friends that own a Ducati and to be honest, find the YouTube reviews to be a bit biased or revenue driven for the most part. I'm hoping to find some owners here with the different models that have compared theirs to a different model.

Most people I run into say, just buy a Suzuki DR-650 or BMW GS-1250. Like the Desert Sled, I think those options are basically redundant.

Monsters seem to be hugely popular but, I don't see many with luggage so, my question there is basically whether the owners don't use them that way or, they don't support panniers or soft bags and are really meant for local commutes and limited rides.

The Street Fighter reviews I have seen suggest it might be a bit of a Sport Tourer so, it might be a candidate to consider like a Yamaha FJR though I think both are probably not a good 'daily' ride for me.

The HyperMotard is the one that really initially caught my attention. From a 'web perspective", it looks like a SuperMoto so, the ride experience should be similar to a dual sport with more dynamic handling and an obvious boost in power for street use and limited hooliganism. ;) Does it support luggage? Is it reasonable to ride for a ~5 hour stint?

Since this would be a very significant purchase with a brand I don't have prior experience with, I want to do due diligence and NOT buy the wrong motorcycle. Maybe I'm asking too much and just need to by some sort of Adventure themed motorcycle.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
I had the SwMotech Blaze saddlebags on my FZ-10 and loved them. I did a five day trip up the California coast and they worked awesome.

When I decided that I wanted another Hypermotard, I checked into which model the SwMotech bags would fit. Right now, the 939 is the only model. I bought a 939SP. I bought the mounting kit for my bike to use the same SwMotech Blaze saddlebags that I had on my FZ-10 and I plan on doing at least one trip back up the coast this summer.

Dave

·
Registered
416 Posts
Realistically, I'm looking at about 1,000 miles a month so, ownership costs are a factor as well.

Ownership costs will be a factor for any new ducati when you put that type of mileage on it.

Also, have you looked into getting a lightly used hyperstrada? Ticks most of the boxes you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
I also come from a dirtbike background and it still influences my street riding. I like to climb all over a streetbike in the turns. I am fortunate to own both a 1098S Streetfighter and a 1200 S Multistrada. The Streetfighter is absolutely the most fun bike in the street twisties that I have ever owned. Same with pride in ownership. I enjoy riding a bike that you don't see at every gas station. Pride in ownership things. Still, it is not a 500 mile per day rider. An hour to an hour and a half at a stretch is about all my Streetfighter is good for. You can ride it all day but it is best done in short stretches. The SF isn't a touring bike.

The Multistrada, on the otherhand, is the first bike I have ever owned, over a lotta years, that actually satisfies two functions and satisfies them well. I have lightened mine a bit with aftermarket exhaust, a little blingy carbon fiber and tail tidy so that it now handles and feels like a sportbike in the twisties but it is also an all day rider. It will keep up easily with most sport bikes in the twisties, you can even ride like a big motard with your foot out to load up the front for turning if you want to go back to your motocross roots, or you can drag a knee. Or, you can ride it comfortably for 500 mile days. Although I live on the East Coast I take it to Colorado and Utah about every other year. It is comfortable on the drone out of Denver to the mountains, then when you hit Monarch Pass, Million Dollar Highway in Ouray, back roads to Moab, Hwy 12 / Escalante / Grand Staircase in Utah you realize that you have definitely purchased the right bike. ( One thing though, it is not a dirt bike. )

Good luck with your purchase.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Try out a 1290 SDR while you are looking tons of torque all day comfortable it's the 1st non Ducati I have
owned in over 12 years it meets all of the requirements your looking for. Still some left over 2019s out
there for low prices.

·
Registered
282 Posts
The Multistrada, on the otherhand, is the first bike I have ever owned, over a lotta years, that actually satisfies two functions and satisfies them well. ...
then when you hit Monarch Pass, Million Dollar Highway in Ouray, back roads to Moab, Hwy 12 / Escalante / Grand Staircase in Utah you realize that you have definitely purchased the right bike. ( One thing though, it is not a dirt bike.)
Absolutely agree with everything you just said.
I've been riding for 30 years, every time I throw my leg over, it never ceases to amaze me how Ducati managed to make a bike that fulfills so many roles, and does them well!
In Touring mode the Skyhook suspension rides as good as my Goldwing, in Sport it's 99% sportbike.

PS: The Multi sidestand leans it WAY over, making it feel heavy. But as soon as it's upright, it weighs nothing. It's very responsive and never feels heavy.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Absolutely agree with everything you just said.
I've been riding for 30 years, every time I throw my leg over, it never ceases to amaze me how Ducati managed to make a bike that fulfills so many roles, and does them well!
In Touring mode the Skyhook suspension rides as good as my Goldwing, in Sport it's 99% sportbike.

PS: The Multi sidestand leans it WAY over, making it feel heavy. But as soon as it's upright, it weighs nothing. It's very responsive and never feels heavy.
Fully agree! I'm a big fan of the Multis versatility, comfortable riding position for longer stretches and plenty of power to give you fun when wanted.

Reactions: khelton

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have you considered a Diavel ? Very comfortable for an all day 200 mile plus ride. Also a blast to ride, gobs of power but an upright riding style. Defiantly not for everyone, but I would suggest a test ride on all of your options if possible.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Also, have you looked into getting a lightly used hyperstrada? Ticks most of the boxes you are looking for.
Another vote for the Hyperstrada.

My Monster offered zero wind protection, which got pretty obnoxious for anything other than tooling around town. You can always add aftermarket screens, but I haven't seen any that actually compliment the SF or Monster.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had the SwMotech Blaze saddlebags on my task and loved them. I did a five day trip up the California coast and they worked awesome.

When I decided that I wanted another Hypermotard, I checked into which model the SwMotech bags would fit. Right now, the 939 is the only model. I bought a 939SP. I bought the mounting kit for my bike to use the same SwMotech Blaze saddlebags that I had on my FZ-10 and I plan on doing at least one trip back up the coast this summer.

Dave
Thanks Dave! Super helpful.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Thanks! I will have to recheck the lean angle. Perhaps the parking lot wasn't as flat as I though it was too.

First impressions can be wrong which is why I'm here. Perhaps I over looked the lean angle causing my first impression to be less than good. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Have you considered a Diavel ? Very comfortable for an all day 200 mile plus ride. Also a blast to ride, gobs of power but an upright riding style. Defiantly not for everyone, but I would suggest a test ride on all of your options if possible.
YES! (y) I'm trying to be open minded before I buy another KTM'ish Dual Sport! I ruled out the KTM690 Enduro for lack of good rear frame support for luggage racks and being a single thumper. That got me to the 790 series which seems redundant to my current rides.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another vote for the Hyperstrada.

My Monster offered zero wind protection, which got pretty obnoxious for anything other than tooling around town. You can always add aftermarket screens, but I haven't seen any that actually compliment the SF or Monster.
I have mixed feelings with wind protection. A really good helmet like the SHOEI X-series really handle wind well but, the air blast on my chest on a dual-sport can be a bit much on long rides.

Seating position and some mini-windshield/instrument clusters can offload the chest wind load enough to be less objectionable though so, I have some mixed feelings with windshield fairing options. For lower body, I generally prefer to be in the wind because I don't get fatigued in my legs and appreciate the air flow on hot days, especially after living through Arizona summers when asphalt was exceptionally hot! 🥵

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,288 Posts
I'd recommend riding both the hypermotard and the multistrada so you can feel how different they are.

They have the same engine, but that's where the similarities end.
The hypermotard is a hooligan bike, designed to raise your adrenalin levels. The Multistrada on the other hand was designed to be comfortable on the road.
You might think that the body posture is the same in both because they have an upright riding position. But they don't.
With the hyper you feel really close to the handlebar and your feel everything the front fork does at the corners (really exciting if you are fond of spirited rides).
You seat farther from the handlebar on the multi. A more normal and comfortable position. Unfortunately this video is in German, but they emphasize this difference:

The hyper is good for short rides with lots of fun. It urges you to twist the throttle in twisty roads and demands attention. It is boring and uncomfortable on the freeway (no wind protection).
The multi allows you to become relaxed on the road and provides some wind protection that is welcomed on the freeway.

I have (and love) a 1100 hyper. I know that the 1100 is a bit harsher than the 950, but reviews keep telling that the new 950 is the closest Ducati has come to the original 1100. I use my hyper for 1-2 hour rides filled with exciting moments (some wheelies involved).

I bought a set of H&B panniers some years ago but I rarely use them. Although some tour with the hyper, It just doesn't feel right to me. So I perfectly understand why Ducati stopped making the hyperstrada.

I am currently considering adding a 950 Multi to my stable to tour with it.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I am currently considering adding a 950 Multi to my stable to tour with it.
@egomexico , go for it!

I've recently replaced my 1200S Multi for a 950S and I'm very pleased. The bike is lighter, nimbler, has all the bells & whistles of the older sister and doesn't let you down in power at all.

Reactions: Sid Post
1 - 20 of 23 Posts