Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently dont own a Ducati but I own a HD XL1200N. I test rode a HM last week and had a blast. Im curious of what % of parts come from Italy and what % come from other countries.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
At one point they all are in ITALY when assembled to said motorcycle..Very Mysterious!!

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
At one point they all are in ITALY when assembled to said motorcycle..Very Mysterious!!
What the Italians are assembling motorcycles again, I thought that got outsourced? :p

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Harley is all MADE IN AMERICA! but id guess 50% of the parts come from mexico and china. Im tired of the most random shit breaking. Im just curious if Ducati outsources a lot of its parts.

·
Registered
139 Posts
From what I can see after poking around the bike over the last year:

Forks - Marzocchi on the '08s
Rear shock - Sachs
Exhaust (stock) - Remus
ECU - Marelli
Brakes - Brembo
Wheels - Marchesini

I'm sure there are Japanese or Chinese parts in it, but for the most part it looks to be be sourced mostly from Italy or other European countries.

·
Registered
269 Posts
out sourcing

I currently dont own a Ducati but I own a HD XL1200N. I test rode a HM last week and had a blast. Im curious of what % of parts come from Italy and what % come from other countries.

Thanks
My last trip to the factory they said that they where at "92% out sourcing" (as of Sept/2007). One the heads are being finished in the factory currently. I know most or the electronics come from Korea and the frames are being make in France. The mirrors are being made in Italy by a company called FAR.

I don't think you'll be able to find any major brand vehicle that not use a high percentage of out sourcing. I heard the lowest percentage is Honda...

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Turbo. I have my heart set on the HM and I was just curious.

·
Premium Member
1,289 Posts
KFJ...

I've had an 05 Sporty since 05 and love it. Great work horse of a bike.

Added an 09 Hyper S in May and it is FUUUUUUUUUUUN!!! I think you'll be pleased.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I demoed one last week and I have the bug real bad. I just got insurance quotes :)

·
Registered
346 Posts
I had to laugh when the first part on my HM to have issues was the Yuasa
battery. This, after all my friends with Japanese bikes said you'll have lots of
fix-its with Italian machinery. And yes, I've been using a battery tender.

To be fair, the battery sat in a crate in the new bike for 8 months, which
probably didn't do it any good...

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yeah I demoed one last week and I have the bug real bad. I just got insurance quotes :)
Where do you live? You should try State Farm - I saved quite a bit when I switched from Geico to them. A lot of people have also raved about Foremost but in NY they weren't competitive.

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Spark plug wires Made in USA. Pirellis made in Germany

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
made in italy ?

And all this time with break downs I was blaming some italian that had to much wine on the assembly line

no wonder they are still so unreliable

still love it after 10 warranty visits 6000kms New
Ciao

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
And all this time with break downs I was blaming some italian that had to much wine on the assembly line

no wonder they are still so unreliable

still love it after 10 warranty visits 6000kms New
Ciao
Holy Crap!

Give us a list, mate?

That's f*&^'n outrageous!:(

·
Registered
196 Posts
I sold my XL1200N for my HM. No regrets. I only incurred one problem with my 1200N in 6000 miles, an oil leak and the HM has incurred one problem in 3600 miles and oil leak.
I have to say the few things you will really like over the Harley is being able to stop and your ass won't hurt after a 50 miles of riding.
Too me Ducati is the Italian Harley.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I sold my XL1200N for my HM. No regrets. I only incurred one problem with my 1200N in 6000 miles, an oil leak and the HM has incurred one problem in 3600 miles and oil leak.
I have to say the few things you will really like over the Harley is being able to stop and your ass won't hurt after a 50 miles of riding.
Too me Ducati is the Italian Harley.
+1 Sold the Nightster after owning the Hyper for about 3 months. No regrets. The HD was great around town but after that it's Hyper all the way. I actually didn't plan on selling the HD but after a couple of months I found that every time I went to the garage the Hyper was the bike leaving the driveway.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Where do you live? You should try State Farm - I saved quite a bit when I switched from Geico to them. A lot of people have also raved about Foremost but in NY they weren't competitive.
State farm wouldnt insure me unless I insured my car with them. I switched to Foremost and saved $600 over Progressive and even got a lower deductible.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts