Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

3521 - 3540 of 3561 Posts

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Out with my BMW friends a couple weekends ago, this is the start of Highland Valley Road. I would up for a ride in the Malibu area, never been there on 2 wheels before! Decreasing Dave - I am Escondido so could ride North with you.
View attachment 993771
Cool!! I just did a ride into the Malibu hills. It was a ton of freeway getting there and back. Admittedly though, we went from the Latigo Canyon area up to Ventura for tacos on the pier and then up 33 to Lockwood Valley rd., then the 5 et al home. Total of 450 miles. That's a lot of wind in the face for sure.

Dave

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Cool!! I just did a ride into the Malibu hills. It was a ton of freeway getting there and back. Admittedly though, we went from the Latigo Canyon area up to Ventura for tacos on the pier and then up 33 to Lockwood Valley rd., then the 5 et al home. Total of 450 miles. That's a lot of wind in the face for sure.

Dave
I agree the challenge is the freeway miles getting there and back. I did a Escondido - Santa Barbara road trip a couple months back with my son. We rode Ventura to Nipomo on East county roads (Foxen Canyon) and then back South on highway 1 to Santa Barbara in a day. I don't mind the miles as much as the wind blast on highways. Could make an early AM departure and ride up the coast starting in Dana point? Likely something in October/Nov time frame to limit risk of a heat wave in SoCal.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I agree the challenge is the freeway miles getting there and back. I did a Escondido - Santa Barbara road trip a couple months back with my son. We rode Ventura to Nipomo on East county roads (Foxen Canyon) and then back South on highway 1 to Santa Barbara in a day. I don't mind the miles as much as the wind blast on highways. Could make an early AM departure and ride up the coast starting in Dana point? Likely something in October/Nov time frame to limit risk of a heat wave in SoCal.

I'm in for this for sure. I also hate long freeway stretches on this bike. Malibu is my neck of the woods so I would meet you up here.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
I was actually trying to plan a ride up the coast this coming weekend, but all of my friends were a no go. I was going to ride out to Cambria and stay the night. Then get up early on Saturday and do the PCH, hopefully all the way to Alice's Restaurant and back in one long day. Stay in Cambria at the same room, then head back on Sunday.

Still a trip I wouldn't mind making in the upcoming weeks.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,721 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Track day this weekend at Horse Thief mile at Willow Springs.

View attachment 993837
So I have to ask, what gear are you wearing? Secondly, how much wind does that MX helmet catch? I would love to rock that style on the HM!! I plan to add to the stable with a more distance orientated bike, and my current gear supports that. Would very much enjoy a retard set of gear for the days close in.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Have never done a track day, you can tell from the action photo I posted. Eager to try...but will remember my other crew who advised "don't be that guy"...the one who crashed. LOL I have the gear, just need to make the time. I will...

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Have never done a track day, you can tell from the action photo I posted. Eager to try...but will remember my other crew who advised "don't be that guy"...the one who crashed. LOL I have the gear, just need to make the time. I will...
The track will be of great help to you. As long as you go at it with the proper attitude. Even if you don't, you will still get something out of it. You just need to focus on the right things and speed isn't one of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
106 Posts
So I have to ask, what gear are you wearing? Secondly, how much wind does that MX helmet catch? I would love to rock that style on the HM!! I plan to add to the stable with a more distance orientated bike, and my current gear supports that. Would very much enjoy a retard set of gear for the days close in.
Helmet with visor is not fun over 75 mph wind will drag your head back. On this track it’s not bad

Gear is alpinestars tech Air jacket / pants

Boots are alpinestars Tech 7s

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Honestly Java, you can go to Cycle Gear and get their Sedici or even Bilt leathers for a trackday. I know what you're thinking, and you're right, cheap leathers.

But here's the thing.

You are going to the track to ride your streetbike in a location that has like-minded individuals going in the same direction. You are going for the purpose of learning to be better, not learning how to initially ride or the other extreme, racing the other guys on the track. Your purpose there is to ride well, get smooth, and even ride as quick as you can WITHOUT crashing, that is your limit, and that limit will raise each time you go. In this case, the Cycle Gear brand leathers will work just fine for you. They will protect you when/if you need it.

If you were racing, I would advise against them, because when racing, YOU WILL CRASH, but you're not racing.

Dave

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Honestly Java, you can go to Cycle Gear and get their Sedici or even Bilt leathers for a trackday. I know what you're thinking, and you're right, cheap leathers.

But here's the thing.

You are going to the track to ride your streetbike in a location that has like-minded individuals going in the same direction. You are going for the purpose of learning to be better, not learning how to initially ride or the other extreme, racing the other guys on the track. Your purpose there is to ride well, get smooth, and even ride as quick as you can WITHOUT crashing, that is your limit, and that limit will raise each time you go. In this case, the Cycle Gear brand leathers will work just fine for you. They will protect you when/if you need it.

If you were racing, I would advise against them, because when racing, YOU WILL CRASH, but you're not racing.

Dave
Yup, get it and thanks for the reminder. I am not opposed to buying used gear, encountered several offerings that did not fit but middle tier gear (original price over $1K) for around $500. I know what you're thinking, gross, people sweat buckets in that stuff, fart, god knows what. Yeah but I have access to cleaning agents and such. Will never buy gross...but likeminded people who care for their stuff are not rare.

I have zero intention of crashing or racing anyone. That said I have picked up quite a bit of a dust off from my weekend riding group...everyone is over 50 save one guy. Feeling very confident in my lines and right wrist right now. The track will just allow me to practice more in a controlled environment where I can see the entry and exit and be confident on a good surface without a random couch or wheel sitting in the middle of the apex shaded by trees :)

Edit, let me also say that my '08 1100 HM is a very easy bike to ride. The power band is easy to manage and frankly not at all intimidating. No electrical nannies to help, but this bike is pretty tame really, so they won't be needed. I think my early Speed Triple was a more challenging bike to ride, had a more pronounced upper range hit on the top end where my HM sorta goes flat.

3521 - 3540 of 3561 Posts