Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this only a street bike?
I’d like to occasionally ride a fire road or a gravel road. Is this doable? Anyone done it?
A friend said he rode his street bike on a long stretch of a gravel road and said it shredded his rear tire. :eek:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I ride mine down caliche road fairly regularly... no probs here. Yesterday I actually took it out on a small bmx track, did some small jump ect :)

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
During my GS days, I had some great rides on Carrizo Plains. And on a few occasions, this was our tour guide (lived out there):

Granted he was using some enduro tires but you get the point. I've taken mine on a fire road once. Too much cleanup afterwards :eek: and these bikes did win Pikes Peak last year:

While it's not a true motard like the KTM; it's still fun off road IF you know how to ride it. Keep it upright dood! :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Throw a set of Dunlop D616's on it and I bet you could do some light off-roading!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Is this only a street bike?
I’d like to occasionally ride a fire road or a gravel road. Is this doable? Anyone done it?
A friend said he rode his street bike on a long stretch of a gravel road and said it shredded his rear tire. :eek:
If you were to do a lot of fireroads, lower the rear all the way, with the link, (if you have an S) or drop the fork tubes down in the thriple clamps, to raise the front, and throw on a set of Syncs, thats what I did in Mexico, (lots of dirt roads)
and the Hyper will do fine, just be "carefull" of the brakes! :p Oh yeah, install a skid plate. Aloha Alex

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies; I was beginning to think nobody used these off road!
I don’t think I’d do it that much, but my friends have dual sport bikes and they do some back road riding from time to time. It would be cool to tag along.

Anyone know what tires are on that Pikes Peak bike?

·
comrade moderator
27,183 Posts
...and these bikes did win Pikes Peak last year:
A Hyper won the 1200cc class, but not the overall. That was won by an Aprilia SXV550. Certainly a good showing, but credit where credit is due. Ducati splashed quite the ad campaign touting this class victory and led people to believe they won the whole thing...not true.

Totally splitting hairs and all, I know, but just had to point that out. Carry on!

Oh yeah...those are roadrace rain tires on the bike in the pic.

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
Lotta posts in the archives

·
You're gonna love my nuts...
1,658 Posts
Sorry Chuck; I meant class only, not overall. :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Front fork chrome is not that well protected and gravel chip is likely if you cop roost from others.

But in the interest of clean air into your engine, you would be out front anyway.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Anyone know what tires are on that Pikes Peak bike?

From the looks of that pic, the front looks like a supermoto rain tire, and the rear looks like a roadracing rain tire- Michelin maybe?

·
Registered
132 Posts
I can make out Metzeler on both tires.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts