Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I'm getting used to my hyper, I have some questions that other owners may be able to answer. It's so different from my 749R, that just getting on and "riding" it is not an option... at least not at high speed.

-brakes: 1 finger or 2? also, do I use the rear brake on this... I feel like it dives so much that especially when trail braking my rear tire is going to come off the ground... does rear brake help?

-suspension: related to item 1 clearly...even with constant and smooth brake lever pressure, the fork just seems to dive when leaned over, which unexpectedly unsettles the bike.

-final point related to turns: when leaned over and braking bike feels like the wheelbase somehow gets much shorter. In a constant radius turn, as I lean it over more and more, the inside bar feels like it just wants to close and I have to apply much stronger force. this in turn makes the steering a little wobbly and again unsettles bike.

-best option i have found is to keep head down and over handlebars (much like a sportbike) which makes it much more stable. Problem in braking with this though is that rear wheel seems to get even lighter still... and that is not confidence-inspiring during braking.

I weigh 175lb+gear and I believe suspension is set up stock. Bike was set-up by ducshop engine-wise (105hp at the wheel ripper) but I need to do something on the suspension.

sorry for long post, thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Set up your Ohlins, man. Mine cornered a lot better after I set the sag, ride height, and rebound/compression damping to my liking. I'm assuming you have an S.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Set up your Ohlins, man. Mine cornered a lot better after I set the sag, ride height, and rebound/compression damping to my liking. I'm assuming you have an S.
I reckon mine feels a lot better with the compression front and rear backed off one turn and about eight (8) turns of preload on the front to get the sag right. The front end chatter seems to have gone and it no longer bottoms out on monos.

Mine's not and S and what I just said could be crap because maybe I've just gotten used to the bike. Bottom line is I'm enjoying it a lot more and feel more confident with the front end.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
does rear brake help?

-final point related to turns: when leaned over and braking bike feels like the wheelbase somehow gets much shorter. In a constant radius turn, as I lean it over more and more, the inside bar feels like it just wants to close and I have to apply much stronger force. this in turn makes the steering a little wobbly and again unsettles bike..
Yes, I think a light touch with the rear brake helps settle the bike a lot (gently!:))

I know what you are saying about the steering, and the Scott's Steering Damper helped me 100%, and solved the problem you are describing ;)

You might need to firm up your front compression damping a tad (assuming your SAG is set) .... the suspension settings on this bike are really sensitive, and it takes some trial and error to "dial it in", so, don't be afraid to play around and experiment with it:yeah:

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Yes, I think a light touch with the rear brake helps settle the bike a lot (gently!:))

I know what you are saying about the steering, and the Scott's Steering Damper helped me 100%, and solved the problem you are describing ;)

You might need to firm up your front compression damping a tad (assuming your SAG is set) .... the suspension settings on this bike are really sensitive, and it takes some trial and error to "dial it in", so, don't be afraid to play around and experiment with it:yeah:
the front end should dive much less once you set the correct preload. Mine doesn't dive nearly as much as it used to.

The question of whether you need one finger or two probably depends most on what model bike you have. I'd say no more than one with the S or the standard with better pads.

I wouldn't even think of spending $500 on a steering damper until you set the suspension up.

If you have a standard hyper, I'd consider finding an adjustable rear shock linkage. It is the best thing that I've done to the hyper yet. 15 minutes to install it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts

the front end should dive much less once you set the correct preload. Mine doesn't dive nearly as much as it used to.

The question of whether you need one finger or two probably depends most on what model bike you have. I'd say no more than one with the S or the standard with better pads.

I wouldn't even think of spending $500 on a steering damper until you set the suspension up.

If you have a standard hyper, I'd consider finding an adjustable rear shock linkage. It is the best thing that I've done to the hyper yet. 15 minutes to install it made a huge difference.

·
Registered
341 Posts
the hyper in my opinion handles great out of the box but takes some getting used to specially if your coming from a superbike. if you really dont like the nose dive though you can up the compression on the front end which will help the nose dive a lot (one finger on the brakes, sometimes two) I use the rear brake all the time but mostly for fun.

remember its not a superbike, if you want it to feel like a superbike might as well go back to the superbike, otherwise she just takes some getting used to.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for info guys: forgot to mention that it is an "S".

interesting info. about the adjustable linkage... I will research that. How did it help... does the front not dive as much, or rear not rise up as much during braking?

I'm not sure about the steering damper yet... I don't want to mask existing issues and would rather try setting up the suspension first.

thanks for all the advice... multidirectional as it may be :D

·
Registered
179 Posts
Alexio, with all due respects, you should have bought a Space Shuttle instead of a Hyper !!!
All that technical talk that I see is just killing your fun of riding this bike, which was made for rather slow twisties and not for flying at 80,000 feet.
I hope you can see the good intentions on my post. Just relax and enjoy your rides. :)
Let`s see.... perhaps you are just kidding.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Setting sag, then compression and rebound will make a huge difference. With all that HP, you may as well spend another $2k for the Race Tech fork cartridges and rear shock revalve. At least you can use all the power then.

Out!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Alexio, with all due respects, you should have bought a Space Shuttle instead of a Hyper !!!
All that technical talk that I see is just killing your fun of riding this bike, which was made for rather slow twisties and not for flying at 80,000 feet.
I hope you can see the good intentions on my post. Just relax and enjoy your rides. :)
Let`s see.... perhaps you are just kidding.
Alexio also owns a 749r which out the box handles like a real motorcycle should when set for the riders weight.
So he is very justified in stating the obvious!
I feel the same way coming of other Ducati's that have front suspension that works like it is meant too.
They are fun to ride but would be even more fun when the front suspension works the way a properly set up bike should.

·
Registered
369 Posts
The Scott's Steering Dampener kit for the Hyper is $250 and just as good, if not better than the Ohlin's. Take Greg Tracy's word for it. I have yet to run it on this bike, as I fudged the installation and mangled the security ring... but I do have it on my YZ450F back in Cali and it is F'in Money. Freeways never felt so free, hard braking entering a hot corner never felt so straight. It even eliminated arm-pump for me. Hell, it'll cure your asthma, too! ;)

·
Registered
346 Posts
The Scott's Steering Dampener kit for the Hyper is $250 and just as good, if not better than the Ohlin's. Take Greg Tracy's word for it.
$250? :confused: The Scotts Hyper kit is $540 at Kneedraggers...

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
Its a damper not a dampener ;)

Dampers slow things down

Dampeners makes things wet (which will slow them down...but unrelated)

As you were!
Maybe that's why they're trying to "soak" people for $540 for one.

:think::think:

Dave

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Maybe that's why they're trying to "soak" people for $540 for one.

:think::think:

Dave

:D ... tell ya what $540 slides dampeners my spirit .. that is a drowning not soaking!

It won't help alexios riding anyway .. gezz last time I saw him riding he was on a ghey puke yella BMUU650 an inch off the ground .. I thought it was Hardley for moment :D :p

·
Registered
355 Posts
The riding position and long front end of the Hyper make the front end dive feel worse than it really is. If your suspension is set it, the dive won't really unsettle the bike while cornering. You just have to get used to the feel of it.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
thanks for info guys: forgot to mention that it is an "S".

interesting info. about the adjustable linkage... I will research that. How did it help... does the front not dive as much, or rear not rise up as much during braking?

I'm not sure about the steering damper yet... I don't want to mask existing issues and would rather try setting up the suspension first.

thanks for all the advice... multidirectional as it may be :D
Your bike already has the adjustable linkage if it is the S. I would do the following in order:
1. set sag (about 50 mm front and 40 rear)
2. adjust rebound to quell excessibe oscillations up front trying to balance front to rear
3. set compression to your liking
4. add some rear ride height if the bike is difficult to accelerate from apex to exit point of your corner
5. bring fork tubes up into triple clamps if the bike is slow to turn (I doubt this will ever be a problem with the hyper)

I've done all of this and I am still not completely satisfied (all though the bike feels much better), so I will change the weight of fluid in the forks. Down the road, I may switch forks for newer S or get cartidges and have the shock re-done.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
Your bike already has the adjustable linkage if it is the S. I would do the following in order:
1. set sag (about 50 mm front and 40 rear)
2. adjust rebound to quell excessibe oscillations up front trying to balance front to rear
3. set compression to your liking
4. add some rear ride height if the bike is difficult to accelerate from apex to exit point of your corner
5. bring fork tubes up into triple clamps if the bike is slow to turn (I doubt this will ever be a problem with the hyper)

I've done all of this and I am still not completely satisfied (all though the bike feels much better), so I will change the weight of fluid in the forks. Down the road, I may switch forks for newer S or get cartidges and have the shock re-done.
A number of people quote the magic figures for sag as 50mm Front and 40mm Rear. Why?

If you can set 50mm sag Front is the spring rate not to low for your weight and will leave you with Comp rate problems? and;

The OHLINS DU6460 Rear shock only has 61.5mm of travel. Why would you use 2/3 of that in sag?

I would be interested in some feedback as I am a complete amateur at this!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I would be interested in some feedback as I am a complete amature at this!
No ... really.

As you are an amateur (maybe at sepellling) it would be good to let you know the settings and how they work... but given the piss take ..well you know!! :D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts