Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, so in a bit of a sticky situation with the hyper. Im new to posting here as well as working on ducatis as this is my first one so please bear with me:grin2:.... Anyways, to make a long story short i was in an accident a few months back, bike got laid down and the clutch as well as the right engine case took the bulk of the hit. Had full coverage insurance so i had an appraiser look at it and they totaled it out, but considering most of the damage was cosmetic aside from the clutch and engine case i figured it would be an easy fix so i kept it. So, after tearing into it and removing the clutch, clutch basket.. etc... I found a pretty decent crack next to the spline that spins the clutch, i dont really know to much about it.. theres also a crack in the bearing in there as well and it looks like a piece of that bearing is just sitting in there because it has cracked all the way through and broken off. So, weighing my options here... I dont really have the means or tools to take this whole bike apart to replace this crankcase or bearing...I dont really have the funds to pay someone to fix it either... Maybe there is a way to replace that bearing without taking the whole case apart...? Also, found a local welder that specializes in welding motorcycle crankcases so maybe he could weld the crack...? I know taking this whole crankcase apart is going to be expensive.... so im trying to avoid that at all costs. If i cant fix it i dont know what i should do with it, sell it ? scrap it? Im open to suggestions... Thanks guys.

forgot to mention, its a 2007 hypermotard 1100

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
First off sorry about this. That cucks. I went through this with a cbr1000rr that had a chain come off. The good thing was it only was cracked where the oil seal for the clutch push rod was. You will have to split the cases. There will be considerable heat and all the seals and bearing need to come out. I don't see a reason it couldn't be welded by a machinist. Just take it to someone you trust as the bearing hole will have to be perfect.

Good Luck

·
Registered
58 Posts
sorry about your accident. As a welder myself id be happy to do the work but they way id do it would also require some machine work to the bearing race, also noticed a broken bolt and a chip or chunk taken from the clutch cover mount. IMHO id scrap that case and find another with a bearing already in it. It looks as if your pretty close to splitting the cases already. Keep us informed im curious to see the outcome, im looking for a Hyper 1100 engine myself. Take care and good luck.:wink2:

·
Registered
58 Posts
did you ever fix this? i have a case i might want to get rid of. send me a message if your interested.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts