Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Calling my fellow Hypermotard 950 (Base and SP) owners regarding my recent observations.

So with over 3,000 miles on my Hyper 950, I have been able to get some feel for the bike. Overall experience has been great but I have come across with the a few issues. Yes mine does stall on initial start when cold or restarting after having cooled for 20 minutes or so. That is acceptable to some degree. The issue that has progressively gotten worse and sort of crept up on me is the clutch issue.

Looking back on the initial rides and break in period, I felt that the clutch engagement point was a bit high and I found myself revving to launch it like it was my first time on a bike lol. I soon got used to the bike and this characteristic. However, I did start to notice the bike lurching with slightly aggressive downshift after rev matching (I really have not been using the quick up/down shift I installed back in June that much). I did not think much of it at first but it did have me a little puzzled given the slipper/torque limiting action of the factory clutch. In retrospect this was related to the high engagement point of the clutch.

Again I really didn't let thee symptoms bother me a great deal. But lately, I have been having progressively more difficulty finding neutral at a stop or rolling (something that was a breeze when I fist picked the bike up). 2 weeks ago it was becoming frustrating, and this past Sunday, it was nearly impossible to get into neutral unless the ignition was off. In addition to this, while rolling to a stop sign this past Sunday, I had the bike rolling forward with the clutch pulled in all the way. Another symptom pointing to a clutch issue at the master cylinder.

After getting my Dad's opinion on this, we decided to bleed the clutch master cylinder. I really had not noticed the change in feel due to it getting progressively worse. After bleeding, the difference in feel was mind boggling. I am now back to a high engagement point and very awkward clutch release.

I'm calling all my fellow Hyper 950 owners to give me some feedback:

-- Have you had issues with you clutch?

-- Have you found the clutch engagement point to be abnormally high (meaning pulling it a few 1/8 of the way disengages the clutch)?

-- Have you had to bleed your clutch at all with the miles you have put on?

I would not think that heat is an issue given that the clutch line is not out in the open (running along the frame) letting heat dissipate well. The clutch line runs similarly to the way it ran on my Streetfighter 848, and I did not have any issues with that bike. I bled my clutch once on that bike and that was because I flushed the fluid.

Any help, feedback or suggestions would be appreciated. I will also consult with the service department at my dealer and see if anything is know about this issue or i they can diagnose it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
6000 miles on my 950SP and no problems with the clutch, but I did bleed it at 1000 miles and 4000 miles already since I was already bleeding the brakes. I bleed the fluids whenever they discolor significantly, regardless of seemingly fine operation.

Discuss it with the dealer, but I doubt they will have anything helpful to offer. They just fix stuff that is broken if they see it broken before them in their shop.

The clutch does require a fine touch for smooth engagement and it takes just a bit a pressure to disengage from my experience as well. I like that bit, as i don't like having to move the lever much.

I have a hard time finding neutral as well, but never really put it in neutral until I am ready to shut off the motor.

I still get frequent false neutrals from not pressing a downshift from 6th to 5th or by not being aggressive enough in an up-shift from 5th to 6th. Operator error every time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
4500 miles on mine, started to get the same issues (can't find neutral, bike moving forward with clutch in) a couple of weeks ago

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4500 miles on mine, started to get the same issues (can't find neutral, bike moving forward with clutch in) a couple of weeks ago
The quick fix is bleeding the clutch at the master cylinder. Bleed your clutch master and you will see an immediate difference. But I want to see why this is happening. Seems like it should not be happening.

·
Registered
95 Posts
There is a definite problem with the slave cylinders. Replacements are no better. Ducati will eventually find a fix. In the mean time keep bleeding! Just crack the bleeder and slowly squeeze until it just starts to push fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts