Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured I would start a new thread, as I didn't see any specific to the 950. I just did the swap last night, but haven't had a chance to test it out yet. I will report back once the weather decides to cooperate. For anyone considering this for the 950, figured I would give a quick overview of the process (at least my fumbled process...)

For starters, seems like it could be a lot more simple than it actually is. The 950 and 950 SP should be similar, except the quick shift. It isn't really a difficult job, just more difficult than it needs to be if that makes sense.

-Adjust rear wheel in forward most position.
-Remove clutch actuator, shift lever, and then sprocket cover. I used a marker to note the shift lever position as I liked the factory setting. Keep the shift lever handy as you may need to go from neutral to in gear a few times during the process.
-Loosen the 3 foot peg bracket mount bolts (you don't have to actually remove them, just need some clearance)
-Flatten the sprocket retainer washer (make sure to flatten in all the way)
-Remove the sprocket retainer nut. I used an impact wrench to not have to deal with stopping the rotation, so may need to add in some additional measures if you don't have an one. An option would be to slide the rear wheel back into position, and have someone hold the rear brake while on the side stand to prevent rotation (do at your own risk...). Once your remove the nut, the sprocket will slide right off, well kinda. This is were loosen of the foot peg bracket is required to give some clearance.
-Roll the chain off the rear sprocket, and use the slack to work the front sprocket off.
-For those OCDers much like myself, clean any chain slop and debris from the sprocket area, and clean all components to be reinstalled.
-Follow the steps in the reverse order to reinstall the new sprocket (make sure orientation is the same, flat side out, beveled side in).
-Torque everything down to spec, make sure to include threadlocker were indicated. Have your wife or buddy hold the brake with the bike on the side stand when you torque the sprocket nut. You can also stick a screw driver or similar in a sprocket tooth to jamb up the chain, but I don't prefer this method with a shiny new bike.

I believe that is about it. It took about an hour for everything, and then another hour to drink a beer and admire the handy work. There is probably 100 better ways to do this, I am by no means a mechanic. So use as your own risk.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
For me it’s a little more pull down low and shorter gears. I mostly ride tight mountain roads, and in stock form It feels like I need a 2.5 gear lol. 2nd gear isn’t enough, 3rd feels like it’s lugging a bit.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
It does tighten the gearing a bit, for the better.

Dave

·
Registered
40 Posts
Smitty, how did you end up liking the change ?
any others end up doing this? I know it’s been a common thing on hypers and monsters for a while.
thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did this last weekend and the bike overall is improved. Much better at very low speed handling and starts, although I still suffer with fueling and clutch issues on my 2018 939.

·
Registered
1 Posts
What 14t sprocket did you use? Been searching for a while now and can’t see any specific to the 950, is it the same as the 939 front?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts