Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

So I had a previous thread on my impressions of the '16 Hypermotard. I thought it best to start a new thread on all my problems. I have a lemon, a big POS. I have had way too many problems for a new bike. This Ducati is garbage. Here we go.........rant in 3, 2, 1!

1. In the first 500 miles, My luggage broke- the handle came off and one of the key assemblies would not work, luckily it came with a spare (these are Ducati accessories from the hyperstrada). My front fender vibrated loose and I lost a bolt. I also had both exhaust springs pop off. All was replaced and fixed at first service under warranty.

2. Electronics Issue, bike would go into limp mode, not idle correctly and loose power, this was an intermittent problem that came and went over a few weeks until I got it too the dealer. Issue was fixed due to a recall, which ducati never notified me of, but the dealer knew about it and also did not tell me(until the bike was at the shop).

3. More exhaust springs popped off, 7 or 8 in total. Exhaust bracket under right foot peg cracked in half. Dealer took whole exhaust system off and reinstalled. It was suspected that it was out of spec/assembled wrong at the factory. no issues for a while...see #10

4. Right foot peg assembly came loose and both passenger pegs vibrated loose and would no longer stay up in the locked position. My swing arm bolt also was loose and well as my front sprocket bolt. The rubber dampening bushings at the base of the engine were replaces as were the pegs and all related hardware.

5. Crank case breather and rear brake reservoir vibrated loose and were dangling on bike. I had to tighten up everything.

6. Arm on kick stand snapped off, just the part that makes it easy to put down with your foot. kickstand still works, just a bit more difficult to hit with your foot.

7. Coil on front cylinder was broken and had to be replaced.

8. Front brake rotors are warped, I have developed a pulse under heavy breaking. Waiting for ducati to replace.

9. Transmission is shit. I get false neutrals once in a while, and it is difficult to shift into neutral at stops. Dealer cant do anything, I just have to live with it.

10. Got an engine error code BBS. The exhaust valve assembly on the pipe cracked loose and the cable broke. Waiting for ducati to ship parts from italy.

11. Oil Cooler lines vibrated loose on a ride and covered the bottom of my engine with oil. not too bad, I re tightened and got it home. One of the bolts holding it on also snapped off.

I don't quit meet all the requirements for the Lemon law in CA, I am going to try to get ducati to buy it back. This bike is a big piece of shit. I have never had so many mechanical issues with a new bike.

I currently have 12000 miles on the bike and it is 14 months old. It has spent 11 weeks in the shop since I bought it.

Do not buy a hypermotard, it is garbage.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Wow that's a lot of things...

Curious about all the vibration related things. My Hyper 821 doesn't really vibrate much at all. I wonder if it's all related to one primary issue.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I am curious about the ride profile due to heavy use. What RPM range is typical for your machine? What types of road surfaces are being used? How often are wheelies done, etc.

·
1st Gen Hyper Hooligan
2,372 Posts
821 and up werent much better either. Sell it back to the dealer if you can and get something else.

Reactions: Say10

·
Registered
4 Posts
Stories like this are a concern especially for new owners. My 2014 821 monster didn't miss a beat for 12000kms before I sold it. How can such an exclusive brand as Ducati backed by multi billion dollar giant VW produce even one lemon. It must be pretty heart breaking

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I am wondering the same thing.... I know twins vibrate, my last KTM vibrated also, and this Hyper is no different or worse than the KTM.

A fair amount of my miles are commute miles, For several months i used the bike to go to work while the truck was being worked on. The heavy use is not heavy, just normal for me. I ride about 12-15000 miles a year, this includes several multi-day trips(1000 miles in 3 days).

I just talked to Ducati NA and they are starting an investigation into the issues. I am planning on envoking the lemon law and an trying to get Ducati to buy it back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Such a shame, sorry to hear mate.

I was in the market for an 821/939 SP and threads like this really turned me off, so thanks for sharing. I decided to buy an 1100 Evo yesterday instead. I would have liked TC and ABS, but for me the risk of being left with a lemon wasn't worth it, regardless of whether Ducati fix it under warranty. I simply don't have the time to deal with a lemon.

Good luck with it.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts

I was in the market for an 821/939 SP and threads like this really turned me off, so thanks for sharing. I decided to buy an 1100 Evo yesterday instead. I would have liked TC and ABS, but for me the risk of being left with a lemon wasn't worth it, regardless of whether Ducati fix it under warranty. I simply don't have the time to deal with a lemon.

Good luck with it.
Well well, congrats Dane, now we want pics mate!

·
Registered
406 Posts

Good luck with it.
Too bad - you're missing a great bike.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Well well, congrats Dane, now we want pics mate!
Thanks mate! I'll pop some up as soon as it makes it's way from way-out-West! :D

Too bad - you're missing a great bike.
No doubt, but I'm sure the 1100 Evo will leave me with no regrets...but if it does, I can always pick up an 2nd Gen once I'm sure someones ironed out all the bugs and prices start to come down a bit :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Did you get one from WA or you mean western Vic?
WA mate. Bought it from Ducati Bunbury. If it was in Western Vic I'd have it in my hands already! Champing at the bit to take it for a hoon >:)

I didn't really want to go the interstate route, but this one was too good to resist as it had exactly what I wanted; Black Evo, full Zard system, computer, quickshifter, belts done 9 months ago and only 9k kms. Looked at the 1100 SP here but too pricey.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
WA mate. Bought it from Ducati Bunbury. If it was in Western Vic I'd have it in my hands already! Champing at the bit to take it for a hoon >:)

I didn't really want to go the interstate route, but this one was too good to resist as it had exactly what I wanted; Black Evo, full Zard system, computer, quickshifter, belts done 9 months ago and only 9k kms. Looked at the 1100 SP here but too pricey.
Ha! I was looking at that one too before I went for mine, but because it was local and $1500 cheaper at the time I went for the one in Adelaide. Did you ask the guys there if it'd been breathed upon by any of the Pattersons in the dyno room? I kinda got the impression it might have had the Intake Express PUK installed as it had the quickshifter and PCV etc.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Ha! I was looking at that one too before I went for mine, but because it was local and $1500 cheaper at the time I went for the one in Adelaide. Did you ask the guys there if it'd been breathed upon by any of the Pattersons in the dyno room? I kinda got the impression it might have had the Intake Express PUK installed as it had the quickshifter and PCV etc.
Figured you'd know which bike it was :)

I did have a chat to them about the tuning, but not the intake. I asked as it has the Zard headers included but they were removed and standard headers put back on, so I was curious if the tuning was done with or without the headers. Wayne is on holiday at the moment, but I'll ask him if it has the intake kit on it when he's back and we're organising shipping. That'd be a nice bonus!

Will see if I can get a dyno chart too.

·
Tightly Clenched...
962 Posts
I think they all might be away, I was just buying the PUK last week and dealing with Todd, he's taking 4 weeks leave as of the start of this week. Maybe the Minions are looking after the shop at the moment...

·
Registered
142 Posts
Stories like this are a concern especially for new owners. My 2014 821 monster didn't miss a beat for 12000kms before I sold it. How can such an exclusive brand as Ducati backed by multi billion dollar giant VW produce even one lemon. It must be pretty heart breaking
Check the fed recall site. Ferrari Bentley Mercedes Ford Mazda Yamaha, every brand is listed in it with their own lemons recalled for one thing or another.

I just had my starter motor replaced under warranty, the og starter is a known pos however you wont find me in aisle 10 looking for tissues because its a lemon starter motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Good luck with it.
I will say that my relationship with this bike is hit and miss......I love the traction control and the ABS. When the bike is working, it is really fun to ride at full bore, It is at its best when your in the twisties and riding it quick. It is great on the goaty back roads here in N Cal. BUT, I am paranoid that something will break or come loose on a ride. It has happened a few times and it sucks. I have no confidence in it's mechanical reliability. It's hard to enjoy a ride when at every stop, i give the bike a once over to see if anything has come loose or fallen off.......

I really hope Ducati buys it back......I cant really sell it, if i did, I would just be passing on all the problems to the new owner, and I just cant do that.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I will say that my relationship with this bike is hit and miss......I love the traction control and the ABS. When the bike is working, it is really fun to ride at full bore, It is at its best when your in the twisties and riding it quick. It is great on the goaty back roads here in N Cal. BUT, I am paranoid that something will break or come loose on a ride. It has happened a few times and it sucks. I have no confidence in it's mechanical reliability. It's hard to enjoy a ride when at every stop, i give the bike a once over to see if anything has come loose or fallen off.......

I really hope Ducati buys it back......I cant really sell it, if i did, I would just be passing on all the problems to the new owner, and I just cant do that.
Having the threat of poor reliability would make me paranoid to venture too far from home. Where we ride there's also little phone reception, and we're all selfish and remove our pillion pegs and seats so if someone breaks down they're a bit buggered. I've had it happen before, and am not keen on it happening again. Going into limp mode all the time is the biggest concern I had, enough so that I decided not to take the risk.

Hopefully Ducati do the right thing and help you out. I worry a lot of the bikes on the market with low kms are someones problems being passed on, and given a lot of issues are intermittent it's a concern.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts