Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Fellas,

Who takes their hypermotard trail riding and what tires do you use, other accessories?

How does it do on winding roads that are a mix gravel and rocky surfaces, a little bit of mud and water also some steep inclines?

I took my hypermotard trail riding the other day and enjoyed it except for the tires (Rosso II's) and the gearing. I could go to dual sport tires, a 14t front sprocket and a skid plate.

Or I could buy a Honda crf250L haha.

Any thoughts and sharing of pictures please 馃檪

Registered
I have much better bikes for off-road rather than trashing my Hyper.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have much better bikes for off-road rather than trashing my Hyper.
View attachment 1003712
Multiple bikes is a pain in the ass over here in the philippines. One bike is a handful. Parts, service, tools, tires all a challenge over here.

I feel ya though, I have my doubts about trashing my hypermotard off road not to mention I'm oc and keeping it clean will be frustrating.

I found a bone stock 2013 crf250L with only 3,000kms on it. I think I'll give buying it for trail riding more thought, and leave my Hypermotard on the road.

Nice ktm Dave 馃憤

Registered
Multiple bikes is a pain in the ass over here in the philippines. One bike is a handful. Parts, service, tools, tires all a challenge over here.

I feel ya though, I have my doubts about trashing my hypermotard off road not to mention I'm oc and keeping it clean will be frustrating.

I found a bone stock 2013 crf250L with only 3,000kms on it. I think I'll give buying it for trail riding more thought, and leave my Hypermotard on the road.

Nice ktm Dave 馃憤
I can understand that. Admittedly, I am spoiled over here having the ability to have multiple bikes for multiple disciplines.

If you are going to try to do fire roads and such with your Hyper, maybe look into adventure bike tires. There are some good ones out there that will afford you some much better off-road traction as well as real good on-road traction.

Dave

Registered
I did a couple hundred miles of gravel and sand roads when I had my 821. A set of Pirelli scorpion rally str tires and some handguards was all I found necessary. I live in the center of a major city so I am similarly restricted to only 1 bike. I had a lot of fun with the bike setup this way

Registered
I'll hit a gravel road now and then, but only after I mounted a skid plate from the Hyperstrada and an oil cooler guard (939.)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
On another topic, I just changed my stock 15t front sprocket to a 14t today.

I rode home in mostly traffic so it was hard to tell besides it crept along better in 1st gear at idle haha. I'm looking forward to getting out in the province and see if there is a big difference but I have a feeling it will be nominal.

Have any of you guys changed out your front sprocket for a 14 tooth?

Registered
On another topic, I just changed my stock 15t front sprocket to a 14t today.

I rode home in mostly traffic so it was hard to tell besides it crept along better in 1st gear at idle haha. I'm looking forward to getting out in the province and see if there is a big difference but I have a feeling it will be nominal.

Have any of you guys changed out your front sprocket for a 14 tooth?

View attachment 1003758
It will definitely make a noticeable difference. I swapped mine out right away as I noticed during the first couple of rides that the gearing was rather tall. Not only in 1st and 6th gear but in between the gears as well. The 14 tooth sprocket made a welcome difference in how the bike rode overall.

But I got one better for you.

When you change the next set of chain and sprockets, swap over to a 15 tooth front (stock) and up to a 45 tooth rear with a 108 link chain (106 stock), preferably a 520 vs the 525 that comes stock.

I haven't changed my chain over yet but I did go up to the 15/45 combo and its even better than dropping to the 14/43 combo. The bike feels better, less vibration and smoother, plus the gearing feels "just right" as I used to think the 14/43 was just a tad too short. I anticipate that going to a 520 set-up will be even better as the less weight should pay off in a positive way.

Dave

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It will definitely make a noticeable difference. I swapped mine out right away as I noticed during the first couple of rides that the gearing was rather tall. Not only in 1st and 6th gear but in between the gears as well. The 14 tooth sprocket made a welcome difference in how the bike rode overall.

But I got one better for you.

When you change the next set of chain and sprockets, swap over to a 15 tooth front (stock) and up to a 45 tooth rear with a 108 link chain (106 stock), preferably a 520 vs the 525 that comes stock.

I haven't changed my chain over yet but I did go up to the 15/45 combo and its even better than dropping to the 14/43 combo. The bike feels better, less vibration and smoother, plus the gearing feels "just right" as I used to think the 14/43 was just a tad too short. I anticipate that going to a 520 set-up will be even better as the less weight should pay off in a positive way.

Dave
I saved my 15t and it still looks like new, I will likely do what you suggest when my chain wears out. Let me know when you do it and what you experience 馃憤

Figures it has rained all day today so I have not been able to get it out on the open roads to really check out the 14t. Hopefully by Sunday.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I had a chance to ride some more. This time no traffic and on some curvy [paved] roads in the foothills nearby.

The 14t is very noticable. Smooths the bike out at slow speeds, a lot more peppy, I'd describe it as snappy!

It's nice but I kinda miss the spitting and sputtering while idling along in 1st gear that I experienced with the 15t.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts