Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the 2014 Hyper 821, non sp model. Rode the bike for about 3k miles... and I could had never imagined that the hyper would come with such a crap suspension.
The suspension is designed to work perfectly on a perfect paved road. The moment it encounters a bump, you can tell is literally crap.

The factory forks (fork I should say, as only 1 fork does rebound and compression and the other fork is just a spring and a spacer) hydraulic flow is restricted and makes it really unpleasant to ride on anything than a perfect road. The factory preload is way too high for someone that weights 170 lbs + gear.

Should I had bought the SP?... yep ! can i change that now.. nope, as i don`t have multiple $K to toss away. And probably will not give more money to ducati after my first ducati experience.

So, decided to go with the Andreani cartridge because, is readily available.. relatively cheap and others already tried it.

Dave from Fast Bike Industries :: Ohlins #1 Service Center, provided the kit with a spring for my weight (175 lbs) witch resulted on 8.3 spring rating.
He also answered a lot of my questions before and after the install.

Nursedady from the hyperstrada forum provided a good start for the install, lots of tips and a guide The Andreani Install: How it went. - Ducati Hyperstrada Forum

Notes on the install:

-The Andreani instructions are crap, you ll need basic knowledge of what you are doing to do this at home.

-provided bolt for the cartrdige right leg, is too short and only turns 4 full turns into the fork, so got a longer one.

-You have to separate the inner tube from the lower leg bracket to install the left cartrige as ducati did not put a hole on the bottom of the left fork... as there is no internals that do any work other than spacers and a spring.

I personally chose to seek help from Evolution Motorcycles in SJ, CA for this task. This guys are awesome and their price was very fair too !
Evolution Motorcycles
They separated and installed the left cartridge for me and I did the rest.

-fork airgap is 115 mm indicated by manufacturer

- the preload screw does not move up and down on the outside as in other forks do. But the preload does get applied. So you have to count turns instead of look at the lines on the top caps.

-The new springs/cartridge seem to make a bit more spring noise as there is space for deflection of the spring. So far, not an issue.

The hardest part of the install is to separate that inter tube from the fork bracket. Once it`s done, the rest can be easly done at home. Just take your time.

The result, a crazy better ride that you can adjust to meet your needs.
Even without properly tuning the adjustments, you can tell right away that the stock forks were terrible ! And that you are up for even more fun !

Word of advice, do the upgrade is totally worth the money ! Will help you love your bike after it !

Added are some pictures for reference.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm planning to take my Hyper to Evolution for different springs for my forks one of these days as I live in San Jose too. I've taken it to them for previous bikes and they do a good job.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Thanks for the nice write up. I'm curious if you had set the sag for your weight in the rear shock prior to upgrading your forks?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the nice write up. I'm curious if you had set the sag for your weight in the rear shock prior to upgrading your forks?
I did, adjusted the rebound and preload. It helped a bit but the real improvement came from the front cartridges.
Still not perfect but at least now i can deal with the fact that some adjustments can be made and that the forks valved and sprung more adequately .

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi all, got a couple of questions for those who have this kit and with suspension experience in general:

1. Has anyone purchase this kit directly from Andreani's website? Reason I ask it because the price on their site vs sites here is almost double.
2. How do you know when you've outridden the capabilities of the stock set up? I'm a noob rider and im constantly being told that I should upgrade the front forks by more veteran riders. i don't want to spend the money if i cant fully ultilize it.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
406 Posts
Hi all, got a couple of questions for those who have this kit and with suspension experience in general:

1. Has anyone purchase this kit directly from Andreani's website? Reason I ask it because the price on their site vs sites here is almost double.
2. How do you know when you've outridden the capabilities of the stock set up? I'm a noob rider and im constantly being told that I should upgrade the front forks by more veteran riders. i don't want to spend the money if i cant fully ultilize it.

Thanks in advance!
Tough question. I'm a fairly new rider and generally I find the suspension good. It seems better the faster you go. Riders who push to the limit may feel differently.

I'm sure cartridge kits like this - or race tech emulators - improve things as they can tailor springs to your weight and riding style. It doesn't seem absolutely necessary.

I'd get the rear shock adjusted properly (compression/rebound) - and if you feel unstable then look into the front emulator/spring kits.

My take: For a really new rider - get used t0 the bike, improve your skills and then play with stuff. It's not a bad set up.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I agree with appliance57. On my last bike I used several weeks to adjust the suspension perfect with sag, rebound etc. I was sceptical about not having the ability to adjust the forks when I bought the Hyper, but now I don't even think about it. You would probably feel quite the difference in ride quality with the Andreani, but I don't think you would take the turns significantly faster. Accelerator control, breaking and steering input is probably where you should focus right now.

However, suspension is a very personal mather. If you don't feel safe with the current set up, and if the Andreani setup would make you feel more confident - it would have a huge impact on how fast you could take corners.

The Andreani forks are on my long term list, but I am nowhere near needing them. I think the stock setup is good (not perfect), however I am about 205 lbs with full gear - so my weight may be better suited for the stock setup. Also - the suspension will get a bit softer when broken in :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks all, I just felt like I needed more input on this. I doubt I'm even close to what the stock forks can do. But like you said, i does seem like a personal matter since people were so adamant about it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts