Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·

Quick test fit with old fairings, no airbox, exhaust etc... Just to keep me motivated while waiting for the airbox that was supposed to be delivered already. Washed the wheels, replaced the old white wheel decals with yellow ones, fitted the front rotors with Ti bolts, fitted the front wheel + bar clamp, torqued down the subframe, adjusted the steering stops and chucked the tank etc. on for the pic.

Things to be done:

-fit airbox, tank, electrics
-adjust position of tail light and seat mount
-pick up a license plate and have it copied 20% smaller
-make a license plate holder
-fit cam covers (still waiting for spacers)
-bleed brakes and clutch
-add engine oil
-finish polishing the exhaust and fit it
-shorten the chain and install drivetrain parts
-have rear wheel cone spacer and steering damper parts anodized
-fit carbon covers on mirrors and fuel pump
-fit new front/side fairings once they're finished
-random small stuff

I was aiming to get the bike finished by June but I don't think that will happen.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
The airbox finally arrived.

The front coil mount does not seem too perfect, the threaded inserts are so misaligned that I'm afraid the coil won't fit, especially with long screws and standoffs. We'll see on Sunday.

Weight of the airbox including filter, fasteners etc: 780g
Weight of the Corse Dynamics intake kit: ~1200g

·
Registered
06 999R RAD02, 06 999R, 06 999.
470 Posts
The airbox finally arrived.

The front coil mount does not seem too perfect, the threaded inserts are so misaligned that I'm afraid the coil won't fit, especially with long screws and standoffs. We'll see on Sunday.

Weight of the airbox including filter, fasteners etc: 780g
Weight of the Corse Dynamics intake kit: ~1200g
That's really good looking at least!

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 · (Edited)
Another small-ish update. Airbox, tank and wiring are now mounted.

Replaced the front brake pads with new Brembo SC compound ones since the old pads were previously modified for the narrowband rotors on my 999S.

The fairings are nearly finished, should get them back next weekend I believe. Sneak peek, in progress:

Ordered an AEM black anodized rear wheel cone spacer, hoping it will arrive soon. Also picked up a license plate finally and had it copied in 75% size (reflective vinyl on 1mm aluminium), it should arrive this week.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This is such a sweet build! The time and attention to detail will pay so many dividends when the bike is finished.
Looking forward to seeing more.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Getting there... Exhaust brushed and mounted, license plate holder done, sprocket carrier/cush drives/sprocket mounted, brakes/clutch bled, heel guards mounted.

Still need to cut the chain to length and rivet it, mount the rear wheel with the AEM spacer (once it arrives..), torque down the front sprocket, pick up the fairings from the painter and mount them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Edit: went back through the thread to find your post about the exhaust...

Damn it, I really like the under tail exhaust of the stock bike and have been wondering if it would be possible to do something similar with that tail... is that a full custom exhaust including muffler mounts?

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had only seen uninstalled/catalog shots of that dual pipe tail before. I didn't think Id like it but that looks nice from the rear. How about side shots and some showing the mounts and mounting points? ... hope I'm not asking too much

·
Registered
'06 S2R 1100 Custom, '12 SF 1040
596 Posts
Your attention to detail and execution of your ideas is inspiring! Love your builds, it’s starting to inspire me to clean up my bikes 🤙

·
Registered
611 Posts
@Justus

as I mentioned, I love the look of your dual exhaust/aviacomposti tail; enough that I was thinking of ordering it RTFN. I believe your example is the one they market as a single pipe tail and it looks amazing adapted to that dual exhaust. Here is the Dual pipe offering which (to my eyes) is not appealing in the least. I think I'll follow your lead and adapt.

·
Registered
70 Posts
@Justus
as I mentioned, I love the look of your dual exhaust/aviacomposti tail; enough that I was thinking of ordering it RTFN. I believe your example is the one they market as a single pipe tail and it looks amazing adapted to that dual exhaust. Here is the Dual pipe offering which (to my eyes) is not appealing in the least. I think I'll follow your lead and adapt.
I like the stock exhaust tucked under the seat, but I also like the Avia Compositi single exhaust tail piece... so if money were no object I think I'd get the tail with some custom exhaust work with two smaller cans (there's a Panigale in my building with nice Akrapovic mufflers) tucked up and angled to sit nicely in line with the tail... that SC Project dual exhaust Justus has is pretty close though.

And on another note, must be nice to improve your bikes when you work on them, I try to just not make them worse or break them haha.

·
Super Moderator
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Your attention to detail and execution of your ideas is inspiring! Love your builds, it’s starting to inspire me to clean up my bikes 🤙
Thank you for the compliments :)

Yes, mine is the "single pipe" version with tail light w/ integrated indicators. I thought about a custom light setup for a while but could not find anything worth considering.

Today was finally the day I finished the Duchess for now. Rode her home (around 60km) and it truly is an absolute riot on two wheels. I sure hope I still have a license and plate after this month :)

Here's a few quick pics, excuse the surroundings (my "garage" is at a farm)...

The bike feels pretty amazing compared to the 999 (and I loved the 999 as well). Smoother gearbox, no wind noise, no arm/shoulder pain, agile as f*ck, stops on a dime and pops/roars like it's the end of days :love: The only issue is the fueling, it's now all over the place at around 4000rpm. I should get the bike dyno tuned but don't know when I'll have a chance for that.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts