Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
2010's run quite lean and are prone to stalling.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
any problems ?

Honestly love hate relationship

make sure you have a GOOD dealer near you with passion !

owned it for 2 years never sell despite this list of %$# problems

l blame the retard ducati dealer here in North Queensland, Australia

Has since lost dealership for whatever reason

1/ Hard to hold tune 4 x attempts to fixes surging and missing of the mark.
2/ Exhaust leaks term i's 4 x back i ended up sealing it up .
3/ Side stand stripped BOTH mounting bolts and near fell off
4/ Stuck in 2 gear x 2 before retard dealer fixed it .
5/ Forks leaked less than 10,000 ks sealer where $590.00 US alone no
warranty
6/ Hard starting "labouring" new battery and new battery cables

Got a new agent and tuner runs better than new

would i sell it NEVER !

·
Registered
532 Posts
i have mine for two years now and have never had a problem with it. I think about changing it as most moterbikers do and then i cannot see anything out there that is better. I think the hyper is the best all round bike i have ever owned and am looking forward to many miles on it yet. If i change next year it will be to another hyper

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
1, Broken tail section,
2, Warped front disc brake rotors
3, Stripped screw in airbox lid

4, Sticky front forks
5, Mysterious head bolt oil leaks
6, Cam end cover leaks x 2
7, Rocker cover leaks
8, Poor finish with welding missing on mufflers
9, Sixth gear failure

These not including the usual bits and pieces.

For me now motorcycling is trouble free.

·
Registered
441 Posts
1, Broken tail section,
2, Warped front disc brake rotors

4, Sticky front forks
5, Mysterious head bolt oil leaks
6, Cam end cover leaks x 2
7, Rocker cover leaks
8, Poor finish with welding missing on mufflers
9, Sixth gear failure

These not including the usual bits and pieces.

For me now motorcycling is trouble free.
Lets hope so:eek::D

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of that one. My airbox lid screws and the rear fuel tank bolt were spinning in their retainers. I got a new fuel tank out of that deal since the dealer discovered it while installing my DP ECU and air filter... to get rid of the stalling and surging.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Lets hope so:eek::D
.. me too

Oh yeah, thanks for reminding me of that one. My airbox lid screws and the rear fuel tank bolt were spinning in their retainers. I got a new fuel tank out of that deal since the dealer discovered it while installing my DP ECU and air filter... to get rid of the stalling and surging.
Since the six gear issue I have had no problems with my Hyper :D

·
Registered
513 Posts
Some of these problems seem to have occurred after modifications, which brings into question anything that may have been introduced during that process.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Tab broken on left handguard, that's it. No surging, stalling, or anyting else...mechanically or aesthetically on my 1100s. Knock on wood, but so far it has been perfect and I love it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well with this thread being 10 years old, I’m not sure how many replies I’m going to get but I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2008 1100s with 37k miles on it. Bad idea with the miles? Should I be looking for anything wrong with the bike in particular?
Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Really depends on service history and overall condition of the bike. I rented a 08 1100 (non S) with 30K miles on it and loved it so much I bought one for myself :) My '08 had 17K miles on it and no service history but was sporting some nice upgrades (dual termi, cat delete, PC V, throttle bodies and K&N) and looked clean. I took it home and immediately changed out the belts, did valve check (all were in spec), new tires and brake pads, and started riding it. Slowing adding some bling (carbon bits) and replacing fasteners with new ones. From my research the 1100 2V motor is quite robust and reliable. Plus the bike is pretty basic lacking all the modern electrical dodads that can sideline you with headaches. A very DIY friendly bike IMO. I am nearing 21000 miles now and it runs great.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Really depends on service history and overall condition of the bike. I rented a 08 1100 (non S) with 30K miles on it and loved it so much I bought one for myself :) My '08 had 17K miles on it and no service history but was sporting some nice upgrades (dual termi, cat delete, PC V, throttle bodies and K&N) and looked clean. I took it home and immediately changed out the belts, did valve check (all were in spec), new tires and brake pads, and started riding it. Slowing adding some bling (carbon bits) and replacing fasteners with new ones. From my research the 1100 2V motor is quite robust and reliable. Plus the bike is pretty basic lacking all the modern electrical dodads that can sideline you with headaches. A very DIY friendly bike IMO. I am nearing 21000 miles now and it runs great.

This is actually the exact reply I was looking for. The current owner of the bike has only had it for 6 months and has only done an oil change. The rear carbon fiber pieces have the clear coating flaking off of them for some reason but nothing that says that is has been laid over. He says it has no problems and rides great but I am curious about the valves and the condition of the belts. I think I am already sold on buying it so I hope I am not getting myself into a hole.

How are the prices for the parts generally speaking with it being a Ducati?

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,144 Posts
Well with this thread being 10 years old, I’m not sure how many replies I’m going to get but I’m about to pull the trigger on a 2008 1100s with 37k miles on it. Bad idea with the miles? Should I be looking for anything wrong with the bike in particular?
Thank you in advance!
My 2008 1100s has more miles than that and it is still running strong.
The desmodue air-cooled engine is really robust and almost indestructible.

It is a hooligan bike, so you should look for engine cracks caused by wheelie abuse (If you take it down too fast, the landing impact can be too much for the front fork. So the engine cracks because it wants to keep moving down while the frame stops abruptly):

That is the support rod between the two cylinders.

Also, look for mid-frame cracks like these

If you find these kind of cracks, walk away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2008 1100s has more miles than that and it is still running strong.
The desmodue air-cooled engine is really robust and almost indestructible.

It is a hooligan bike, so you should look for engine cracks caused by wheelie abuse (If you take it down too fast, the landing impact can be too much for the front fork. So the engine cracks because it wants to keep moving down while the frame stops abruptly):

That is the support rod between the two cylinders.

Also, look for mid-frame cracks like these
View attachment 993136

View attachment 993137

If you find these kind of cracks, walk away.

Dang! Good to know. I wouldn't have thought to look for that.

·
Registered
66 Posts
He says it has no problems and rides great but I am curious about the valves and the condition of the belts. I think I am already sold on buying it so I hope I am not getting myself into a hole.

How are the prices for the parts generally speaking with it being a Ducati?
Service parts like belts & valves are reasonable...it's the Ducati service that is very spendy $$$. I got my belts from CA Cycleworks for ~ $120. I found a local independent MC repair guy who did my belts, valves, pads, and let me watch the entire process. 4 hours and $200 later all done. Some stuff like bolts and fasteners are sourced online for way less than Ducati sells them for. I was going to order some body fasteners (hex screws) and bolts (socket head cap screws) and they quoted me something like $75...haha, no way. I took some examples from my bike to Ace hardware and walked out with everything I needed and more for under $10. I use good oil and K&N filters and change every 3K miles. As stated earlier there is nothing complex on these early 1100 bikes and are easy to DIY. Labor costs are generally the killer. One caveat - if you lose all the keys to the bike I believe you will need to spring for a new dash/ecu/etc... which are very expensive. I suggest you have a couple duplicates made just in case. Good luck with purchase and of course pictures will be required :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well Here She is! 2008 HM 1100S with 37K miles. Has a few add ons that im not so sure about which are a MWR Air box, Exhaust and a Power commander. Im assuming it needed the power commander after the install of the Air box and the Exhaust for better fuel mapping.

Once I got it home I had a hard time getting it started, it wold just crank and crank so I decided to clean the air filter and replace the spark plugs. That seemed to do the trick but now it sometimes hicups when I am pulling away from a stop and it also sometimes stays at 2500-3K RPM when I come to a stop and so I bring it down to 1500 with the clutch and then its OK again. (doesn't do this at every stop)

The power commander did not come with any cables to connect to a computer or anything so I guess im going to need to order some.

Another issue it has is that the clear on all the carbon fiber pieces are flaking off. Has anyone else had this issue?
IMG_0274.jpg

·
Registered
66 Posts
So did you buy the bike unseen/test ride? Just asking because of the hard start and RPM issues. I have seen carbon bits flaking but admit yours look more crusty. That is just cosmetics and can be fixed for $200 (exhaust covers and front fork shields). Tires look decent but how old are they? With 37K miles likely they fresh enough to keep since the bike was a rider. If I were in your shoes I would replace all fluids and get the belts and valves done - find a local independent guy like I spoke about. Then start riding it and figuring out what needs your time and $ next. Don't stress about the little stuff - ride it man!

·
Registered
6 Posts
So it did hesitate to start when I went a looked at it but the guy said he hadn’t started it in about a month so I didn’t think anything of it. The tires have about half a life in them and I already changed the oil and plan on checking the valves this weekend myself.
I got the bike for $4k so I was not too worried about the little things seeing as I could definitely replace them if I needed to.
So far I’ve riden it about 100 miles and the RPM issues at a stop are my only issues right now.
I’m going to take the power commander off and see where that gets me.

·
Registered
66 Posts
IMO the power commander was added to accommodate the airbox and exhaust changes. It's also a popular upgrade for a custom mapping that tends to smooth out the fueling at lower RPMs. I would not remove it but rather take it to someone familiar with them and do a diagnosis. Likely some blockage or similar is the root of your idle RPM issue. The PC connects to a computer with a simple USB cable, but I have no clue what software to use. I think that is a profession in itself so again defer to someone with more knowledge.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts