Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm strongly consisering purchasing a 1100S Hypermotard. However, before doing so, I want to ensure as much as one can that I am buying a reliable bike. Other than the shifter issues and some surging issues, have there been any other serious, chronic, or annoying problems with this model bike?

Thanks for all of your input.

DrJ

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm strongly consisering purchasing a 1100S Hypermotard. However, before doing so, I want to ensure as much as one can that I am buying a reliable bike. Other than the shifter issues and some surging issues, have there been any other serious, chronic, or annoying problems with this model bike?

Thanks for all of your input.

DrJ
I've had mine for a little over a year, and not a single problem..

·
Registered
541 Posts
I have mine for a little more than 2 years with 11k miles on it. The only issue I had was a little oil leak from left side engine case. The dealer instal a new seal and now I don't have any problems. I love the bike get it, you will not regret it all.

Cheers!

·
Registered
247 Posts
There are definitely some tweaks that need to be done to bring the bike around to a more enjoyable ride like adding a Fat Duc module and different seat along with some different bars, depending on your height, build etc. Reliability seems to be pretty good overall. Haven't heard of too many blown motors or fried electronics. I'm looking at beefing up the starter wiring circuit, that seems to be a weak spot, but just makes the bike crank slower than I would like. My non S model has almost 8000 miles on it and so far no leaks, no failed components.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
2008 standard, bought it summer 2009, 18.000km and not a single issue.
Only 1 lost bolt due to vibration, on the belt cover.

Use it as my daily driver, go to work everyday with it, sun rain hot and cold days.

The bike still gives me the big smile it gave me the first time I rode, but it definitly needs few mods :
*/ 14t front sprocket
*/ a less restrictive airbox
*/ front fork adjustment

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,233 Posts
I think it is very safe to say that since the bikes introduction two years ago, it is fundamentally sound and above all a fantastic ride. The Hyper certainly brings a new flavor to the pallet for riding pleasure.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Is it me, or are Ducati's a little on the delicate side???
I have a 08 "S" that I got late in 07, I was one of the first ones to get one, and was on a waiting list, and paid full boat for her, my first Ducati....:p

Since then, the speedo went out at 2500mi, (replaced) the wire loom to my rear brake light & turn signals got tore up by the back tire when I bottomed out, (replaced) the rear spoiler broke, (replaced) transmission started to act up, and miss gears, shifting paw/ratchet (replaced) cracked side cover, (replaced) stock Brembo front rotors warped, (replaced) I am on my third clutch, 1 stock, 2nd Barnett, 5 sets of rear brake pads, 2nd front, oh yeah, I almost forgot, my second engine! :eek: the engine failed when it lost its crankshaft case support ball bearings! (replaced) All this in the first 10,000 miles! :cool:

I now have about 15,000mi, and last week I noticed that both my tank covers are broke, (lower mounts, one broke off, gone, one cracked) and today when I was installing my new front Galpher rotors (3rd set) :cool: I spun the front wheel to center the rotors, and discovered that I had a dent in my front rim!! WTF!!?? but only on one side of the rim, not both, how do you do that? Keep in mind, I have never dropped or hit anything with this bike, that I can remember, :rolleyes: (knock on wood) Soooooo WTF!?

Would I do it all over again?.........YOU BET YOUR ASS I WOULD!! :D Its one of the FUNNEST bikes I've ever owned. :)

So does anyone here know where I can get my front rim fixed?:confused: Aloha Alex
STILL would do it all over again!! Aloha Alex

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
It's actually 3 years billg69gmc. I've owned my 08 non-S since August of 2007. It's been the most fun, yet frustrating, motorcycle I've owned since 1985.

Early on I had stalling problems that went away after installing the Ducati Performance ECU. Surging was an issue too but that also went away with the ECU swap. Then there's the occasional minor oil leaks, bolts and rubber footpeg parts that magically disappear. There's also the ridiculous service costs for the frequent valve checks and cam belt replacements ($80 each for OEM belts). My bike was stuck at the dealer for 5 weeks for its 7,500 mile service because of a backordered part last year. Then a few weeks ago the bike just refused to start for no apparent reason... I think it just decided it wanted the day off.

All of that is forgotten as soon as I'm riding it. I think they're pretty reliable but pretty high maintenance.

When the Hyper refuses to start I just hop on my very reliable DR-Z 400SM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Buy it

If you are ready to drop the dime you will not regret this purchase. I waited 2 years saving my pennies and I know this bike will always be sitting in my gargage. It is the funniest thing next to...well close second to...well I have a few ither vises but its up there!!!

Cheers!!

MoTom

·
Registered
215 Posts
10 months and 10,000km and i've only had the shifter issue occur. ride in rain, hail, snow, searing heat you name it, no real dramas.
Modifying the intake & exhaust is a must for this bike, its suffocated from the factory.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
No problems at all and the level of refinement is what really surprised me. The level of refinement is almost at the level of Honda and light years ahead of my 900SS. The transmission is so smooth compared to my 900SS which feels like a bucket of bolts. It's not the knife through hot butter kinda smooth like my CBR which snicks into gear but more of a very precise positive solid feeling kinda smooth. The surging has been virtually eliminated by the fatduc. I think the 900SS has more character but then again character is just another word for flaw isn't it? :p

·
Premium Member
12,283 Posts
FUN every time...
no issues at all ,
Good dealer that knows how to set it up properly and you are good to go...

·
Registered
28 Posts
Big Complaint... After 2 months I ran over a nail and my tire is flat!!! Can you believe that??!!?? hahahahaha I stinkin love my Hyper. I smile every time I get on this wonderful piece of machinery!

·
Registered
513 Posts
I was think about this just the other day. Only slightly distracted by the siren of a pursuing highway patrol. Why does this bike attract so much attention? Maybe it is the elegance of the single sided swing arm displayed in best form on the rear wheel with the front raised in salute.
Maybe it is the sum simplicity of a basic 2 valve air cooled power plant in a lightweight frame that when combined, create an intoxicating urban adventure every time I leave the driveway.

The real problem I have with this bike, is the apparent neglectful contempt it creates in me, towards all the other toys in my garage.

This is my second hyper, i must be a lost cause.

Reactions: kkrider

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it sures seems that y'all love your Hypermotards and that most have been pretty reliable. So, other than the Termi exhaust & performance ECU, what else have you done to make the bike more rideable? And, what's a FatDuc? Sorry, I've been out of the Ducati seen for a number of years...

Thanks!

DrJ

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
So, other than the Termi exhaust & performance ECU, what else have you done to make the bike more rideable?
Thanks!

DrJ
Termi 2-1 (or other) that eliminates cat,
Fly wheel turn down,
smaller front sprocket,
rear sets, (rizoma, woodcraft, Ducati Design adj. pegs)
Large or mid tank,
Ducshop stacks (or other)
Cams w/ ecu,
ditch stock handguards/mirror, replace with Ducati or other,
new handle bar,
Race tech or Ohlins fork kit,
rear hugger,
seat (race, comfort, Sargent),
slipper clutch,
wind shield/screen,
frame sliders,
bar end sliders,
Tech Spec tank grips,
rear subframe,
and bling.

Maybe I missed something but those seem to be the most common mods.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Well, it sures seems that y'all love your Hypermotards and that most have been pretty reliable. So, other than the Termi exhaust & performance ECU, what else have you done to make the bike more rideable? And, what's a FatDuc? Sorry, I've been out of the Ducati seen for a number of years...

Thanks!

DrJ
The fatduc is a O2 manipulator that is easy to install and a lot cheaper than getting a new exhaust and ecu to fix your stalling or rough idle issues. If you have one.

Here is a recent thread on it. http://www.ducati.ms/forums/92-hypermotard/97112-fatduc-well-now-im-beliver.html

Here is the website with all the info. PERFORMANCE BOULEVARD - O2 Manipulator

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks again for all the great input....

DrJ

P.S. Are the any other Hypermotard sites y'all visit and post on?

·
Registered
730 Posts
1 - 20 of 44 Posts