Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting my Hyper ready for track days. No one will probably ever ride on the back, plus I'm installing rearsets that eliminate the passenger pegs.

I'm wondering what it would take to graft a SF tail and seat onto my Hyper.

Would I need the entire rear subframe, or could I modify the mounts to run the SF rear tail, seat and taillight?

I saw a cool video of a Hyper racing where they did something similar and it looked cool to me, hoping i might be able to do the same.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
What will it take....

1. Lots of money
2. Lots of time

What are you looking to gain?

The biggest obstacle will be gas tank/wiring/batter arrangement. As far as I can tell from rough estimates, it will be hard to graft any solo tail to the hyper without changing those things. If somebody knows a way that would be awesome. I remember a hyper racing in Canada that had a 1098 tail stuck on with spit and bailing wire. See if I can find the link.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
it was first seen on the Canadian pro-twin challenge or something like that. Canadian cup restricted to air cooled twin cylinder.

Last year, at the wdw, a Hyper with a Gulf paint scheme had a SF tail.

Italians also have a Hyper with a MV Brutale tail.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the look I'm hoping for!

I wonder if I can fit one of those tails onto my Hyper rear subframe?

It would be cool to not have to modify anything, just make new mounting points.

I like the looks of the Hyper enough, but since I'll never have anyone else riding on it with me, I think it would look cooler with a SF (or Brutale) tail.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
Chouch, thanks for the pics. The Canadian cup bike was the one I was thinking of. Mike if you dont mind unpolished looks you can take your stock seat and remove the foam, replace with some superbike padding and it gives a much better riding position for track. Lower bars are a must if you do that though.
Page 2 of this gallery shows me with that set up. 08-31-2012 On Track 9am - 10am - Jason Tanaka Photography

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I already have the lower bars installed. Woodcraft rearsets should be here tomorrow.

I'll probably just modify the stock seat for now, but I really like the looks of the bikes in the pics. I hope to make something work with the SF or Brutale tail.

My Hyper is so much fun, I'm loving riding it everywhere, and how comfortable and fast it is on the windy backroads, plus the fact that it's a decent track day bike, I'd rather change the looks than get a different bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scored a SF tail, taillight, and seat and undertray/heatshield. I'll still need the passenger seat cover, no turning back now!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Man, you are not wasting any time !
Can you please document the install process, it would be awesome and usefull :)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
you could just fabricate tabs to accept sf tail to your stock subframe...that would be the easiest if you have access to welder/fabricator...wouldnt be hard

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might also be able to use some clamp-on mounts. I'm going to explore that first before welding anything. It would be nice to be able to put the bike back to stock if I wanted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts