Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a previous Multistrada owner and am returning to the Duck side. The decision I face is whether to go for a Hyper S or a Multi S. I would appreciate feedback from anyone that has good seat time on each of these.

The Multi is a known commodity. With the new engine, its specs come very close to the Hyper.

My one concern is that I got used to the longer footprint of the Multi - being able to brake hard in a corner and not have the bike stand upright (as short wheel basis sport bikes tend to do) was fantastic. My worries are that the Hyper being a bit shorter than the Multi - might have the same issues.

Of course the largest issue is the gas tank. The old Multi fuel gauge always lied, but you could easily get around 100 - 120 miles on a tank.

I would appreciate feedback.

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
18 Posts
Ooooo nice play on words - and i would agree hyper is purpose built bike and the multi has multi-ple purposes and looks like a red-headed step child - not pretty until you ride it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hyper the way to go

If I were limited to one bike, the Hyper wouldn't be it. But, since I also own a traveling bike or 2, the Hyper is an order of magnitude more fun than the Multi. I put 600 miles on a 1000 Multi S & it was OK. I have now put 1,200 miles on my Hyper S & it is just so much more fun.

The only issue with tank capacity is if I'm at the beginning of a 50 mile or so stretch with no gas station & have ridden 50 miles already. Once or twice, in that situation, I have filled it with 1.3 gallons of gas. But, when stations are available, having to stop at 110-120 miles or so is OK, especially on the FUN BIKE. Sure, if I'm trying to grind the trip to Daytona (700 miles) or Illinois to visit family (800 miles) I don't want to stop every 100 miles. But, that simply is not what the Hyper is about. Hence, more than one bike.

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the Multi has a face only a mother & Pierre, or whoever designed it could love . The Hyper gets wows every time I ride it.

You're right about the fuel gauge on the Multi being worthless. A piece of electrical tape over the idiot light is the fix there. That was extremely irritating to me when I had mine, especially since my BMWs have a fairly reliable fuel gauge & countdown tripmeter.

My summary is that the 2 bikes are completely different, despite having nearly the same motor. The Hyper approaches the essence of riding. A back road, some time & no far-away destination. The Multi tries to be a practical bike.

·
Registered
139 Posts
My one concern is that I got used to the longer footprint of the Multi - being able to brake hard in a corner and not have the bike stand upright (as short wheel basis sport bikes tend to do) was fantastic. My worries are that the Hyper being a bit shorter than the Multi - might have the same issues.
The Hyper has the same frame geometry, swingarm etc. Unless there is a big difference in the front triples, it should be similar.

·
Registered
14 Posts
After having my Multi for three years, I sold it for a Hyper, and I never looked back!
Except when I fly-by a gas station and I have 90 miles on my clock...

:D

·
Registered
346 Posts
Notice on the main page of this forum there are 45,000 posts on the Hypermotard
and only 3,000 on the Multistrada. Either the Multi owners are asleep a lot or
the Hyper has 15 times as many problems!

I'd like to think the Hyper owners are just that much more passionate about
their riding. :yeah:

·
Ducati Designs
1,123 Posts
Or, the Multi owners are out riding...

pg
DD

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
given that you're a past Multi owner i shouldn't have to remind you: the Multistrada meets so many different riding needs, and does them extremely well. have you ever met an unhappy MTS owner? the Hyper is a terrific motorcycle if all you're after is fun around town or in the canyons. if that is the only type of riding you do (no slab, no long distances, comfort isn't a necessity) then the HYM might just be the perfect bike for you.

is a Monster a consideration? better yet, what are your riding habits?

·
Registered
47 Posts
funny thing, i find my hyper super comfortable. i haven't done much over 150 miles at a time as of yet, but compared to my last two bikes (kaw versys, triumph tiger 900) the hyper wins. i don't see myself doing any rides that go over 250 miles or so in a day. if you do, you may want to go with the multi just for the wind protection (and a place to stash gear) the only arena that my other bikes did better in were the long-haul attributes... if touring isn't your passion, you'll probably have more fun with the hyper. you really can't go wrong, both brilliant bikes.

·
Registered
14 Posts

OR... on Multistrada.net complaining about their fuel gauges :p

·
Registered
164 Posts
The old Multi fuel gauge always lied, but you could easily get around 100 - 120 miles on a tank.
I don't even bother to think about gas until 150 miles or so and I've gone 175 or a little more and still had a gallon or so left when I filled up. That's with a full Arrow system, filter box and a Power Commander setup. The 1100's do even better with their closed loop ECU.

Don't know how you only got 100-120 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts

LOL, try looking up Multistrada.net before you make assumptions:think: There's really no reason to bother with any other site for Multistrada information. Thats why no one uses the .MS forum.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts