Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a long time lurker/rider with major indecision issues.

Recently sold my K1200R and looking for a replacement. I live in Topanga Canyon and for those not familiar with the area we have a lot of excellent tight/technical twisty tarmac. Looking primarily for a canyon carver/sunday rides along the coast and occasional commuter.

I was flirting with the Triumph Scrambler and BMW F800GS until I rode the both the Hypermotard and the 848... now I see the light.

For those who have owned the Hyper and/or 848 or traded one for the other (or bought one over the other), I would appreciate any insight/feedback/recommendations you might have.

Thanks for reading :abduct:

-D

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
I'm a long time lurker/rider with major indecision issues.

Recently sold my K1200R and looking for a replacement. I live in Topanga Canyon and for those not familiar with the area we have a lot of excellent tight/technical twisty tarmac. Looking primarily for a canyon carver/sunday rides along the coast and occasional commuter.

I was flirting with the Triumph Scrambler and BMW F800GS until I rode the both the Hypermotard and the 848... now I see the light.

For those who have owned the Hyper and/or 848 or traded one for the other (or bought one over the other), I would appreciate any insight/feedback/recommendations you might have.

Thanks for reading :abduct:

-D
First of all (you lucky bastard) you live in one of the most beautiful places on earth... for living and for riding... i can only imagine what having those roads outside your own home must be like.

Jealous comment aside, I have a 749r and a hyper S and may be able to answer your question. The superbike is fun for long sweepers and straight blasts. It requires more commitment while riding (you can't look around and enjoy the surroundings as much. It's much more focused experience, but on the wrong environment (traffic, hot days, very tight turns, endless straights) it can really suck. You definitely can't commute on it IMO (your back will break, you will sweat from engine heat, you can't see traffic as well when leaned over)... it's the weekend bike for the perfect road.

The hyper is bags of fun. Large steering lock, so you can mess around at low speeds, less sensitive to being manhandled a bit, you can afford to be less careful (take in context please) and look around at scenery, carry a passenger. Great for very twisty roads, hopping down to that beautiful amazing starbucks in malibu, and IMO easier for commuting. It's not a PIA in traffic, and engine won't roast you. This is your daily bike... it's your bicycle with rockets on the back.

In synthesis... BUY BOTH.

·
Registered
33 Posts
+1

I did demo ride after demo ride. I would alternate between the 848 and the Hyper. If you can afford both, do it. I couldn't so I bought the Hyper S. If you can only have one I think you would tend to ride the Hyper more/longer than you would if you had the 848. When I have the money I will get the 848 too but for now I'm happy with the Hyper.

One thing I noticed immediately was how tall the 848 is geared. My Hyper S does fine in traffic and you don't seem to get as tired when the pace is slow or you are in stop and go. The 848 seems like it wants to roll at about 25 mph with the clutch out in first gear. If you are in an area where you are not having to slow to a walking speed the 848 it's fantastic.

Top end on a high speed track obviously the Hyper wouldn't keep up very well. On a slower track with non professional riders speed wise (lap times) probably wouldn't be any different between the two bikes.

Another nice feature of the 848 is the oil bath clutch. Although viewed by many as a Non Ducati style clutch it works flawlessly and makes it easy to get off the line regardless of how highly the bike is geared. Yes the jangling clutch on the Hyper is pure Ducati and it attracts attention at red lights but most of the people that hear it think your bike is falling apart. I don't think it will be long before the dry clutches are gone. We are seeing more and more wet clutches on the newer models.

No matter which way you go you won't be disappointed.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I own a 848 and a Hyper - and love them both. As mentioned above the two bikes are for two different rides.
As per you description I would say the Hyper would suite you the best. But do your self a favour - get a good exhaust system, open the airbox and an DP ECU - the bike is 100% more fun with this. Add another 100% when fitted with DP CAMs and lighter flywheel - I don't have that yet but have tried one with these things! Oh yeah, and of cause as on all bikes - get the suspension adjusted to your style of riding, weight, height etc.

Life need to be seen from the back of a two wheeler :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
I lived on Topanga Skyline for years so I know the area well. I just bought a HM for exactly that type of riding...you will love it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I have a 09 Hyper and a 06 999 so might be able to help out a bit.

I’ve been using the Hyper for my entire in town duties and it’s been awesome. The bike is very comfortable and has plenty of power for this type of application. It’s more forgiving in a lot of ways compared to the superbike. It’s better at slow speeds in terms of steering and not having to play with the clutch so much. It’s great with a passenger on board too; my wife and I use it for jaunts all over town. The downs would be wind protection; it’s annoying to me at speeds over 70mph and top end power sucks if you just have to obtain insane speeds.

The Hyper’s element seems to be an urban environment or something like it; it’s a great daily rider.

The 999 is much more temperamental. In town it flat out sucks, if it doesn’t suck you are probably in danger of losing your license and or life. When I hopped on my 999 last week after days of only riding the Hyper I noticed the following things:

It feels like what it is; a race bike. It’s such a drop to the bars and the foot pegs are way up compared to the hyper. I have more fun with this bike when out of town on fast twisty county roads at cruising speeds of 80 or more. It has a lot more wind protection, top end power and it feels like it’s on rails in long sweepers.

The 999’s element is really the race track or fast twisty back roads. It’s basically become my Sunday ride since I got the Hyper and the thoughts are already starting to linger about making it a full on track bike.

One last thing, the superbike just oozes that indescribable lust and gut turning feeling inside of you that the Hyper cannot do. It may be somewhat impractical (I am not familiar with the part of the country you live in) but because I think with my heart over my head it would be the bike I would keep if I had to choose between the two.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the feedback.

Your comments affirm my thinking... which was why I posted in this sub-forum to begin with.

Now I just need to decide on 1100 vs 1100S vs 796. Guess I'll have to test ride/rent a 796 (when it becomes available) to be sure.

Cheers!

-D

P.S. For those not familiar with the area, here's a review of the road I ride to work most days:

http://www.lateralg.org/roads/orange/malibu3.htm

:D

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used to own an 848 and I now have a Hyper S. The 848 was fantasic on the highway and out in the twisties. It handled really well, the power was great and it was comfortable to ride agressively. It was terrible around town. The gearing was too tall, the exhaust roasted you and it put a lot of pressure on my wrists.

The Hyper is a great bike around town and in the twisty roads. It handles well and it's a very fun bike to ride. It's not so good on the highway. The complete lack of wind protection gets tiring quickly. Personally, I've found the Hyper to be a little too narrowly focused.

I'm selling my Hyper right now and I'm going to be getting a Monster 1100s. I've demoed them quite a bit this year and it's a fantastic bike. The same motor as the Hyper and it handles really well. The riding position is somewhere between the 848 and the Hyper. I personally like the position better on the Monster.

·
Registered
41 Posts
They are both great bikes.

I went from a 1098 to a hyper s. They are completely different in focus and feel. The superbikes are of course much faster and require you to ride them much faster to enjoy them. I found myself going through corners at pretty high speeds in order to achieve the sensation of speed, and the focus required for this type of riding is very high.

The hyper is a much more relaxed beast. While it has plenty of performance, I find it quite enjoyable at far lower speeds. In addition, there is a lot more leg room and I find the upright position all around more comfortable.

The down sides of the hyper is poor wind protection (somewhat ameliorated by a fabbri screen), and short range (ameliorated by a larger tank).

For me, I think the perfect bike may just be a multi, or its replacement; I had an '06 multi before the 1098 and I'd probably swap my 1400 mile '08 S hyper for a comparable multi, or sell it and wait for the release of the aperta. I'm up in Portland and the riding season is waning.

For you, I would recommend spending more time on both. The only person who can tell you which is more suitable for you is you.

I grew up in Socal and know the Topanga area pretty well. Either bike is quite suitable for that area.

If you decide to get a hyper, there are lots of nice used ones available and, if you were interested I could shoot you pictures of mine.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts