Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone that owns a Hyper ridden any of the KTM 690's? I am looking at changing from the Hyper to the 690 Enduro R. I love my Hyper but would like to have a bike thats maybe a little more versatile. The 690 is 30 hp down on the duc but 90 lbs lighter.

I also have a 1098 that mostly a track bike but I still have all of the road parts. Tell me what you guys think.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I rode the KTM 690 SM quite a bit before buying my Hyper. The 690 is a
very good motor and does an impressive 30-60 mph blast (esp. if you gear it
down a tooth on the front). To me, the Hyper is just all around a more
exciting bike and does not really feel much heavier than the KTM, which
seems to carry its weight up higher. I find the overall comfort of the Hyper
to be better, and vibes are less. Build quality seems better on the Duc.
Some of the KTM plastic parts are cheap and the screws tend to back out
of them. As far as warranty failures, my friend's KTM 690 just had a clutch
slave with a fluid leak problem, but that's about it. Overall they are good
bikes, and have one of the strongest single-cylinder motors out there. The
one I rode did have the Akrapovic dual exhaust system on it

Since you mentioned the 690 Enduro, I assume you are thinking of doing
the dual-sport thing (part dirt/part street). Obviously, the Hyper won't
really do that very well. I think the 690 Enduro makes a good adventure
bike, but may still be bit heavy for a true dirt bike when it comes to serious
off-roading. For fire roads, it would be great. Again, the motor just kicks
major tail in terms of horsepower compared to just about any _dirt_ bike
short of an Aprilia 550, so it would be fun on fast fire roads.

·
Registered
47 Posts
a good friend of mine got on a waiting list for a 690smc last year. he finally got it, and first thing he did was have the seat rebuilt into something he could tolerate for more than 15min. at the time i was riding a ktm 450smr. the 690 is definitely akin to riding a full-on dirtbike on the street. ktm singles are awesome motors, but they all sound like they have a handfull of marbles rolling around in the crankcase. not to say the exhaust note isn't sweet, cause it sounds great. his 690 was short-lived. i think he was looking for something more of a street bike (along the lines of the hyper or even a duke) going from the hyper to the 690 will seem like going from the drivers seat of a european sports car to the seat of a european muscle...um... suv? if such a thing exists. definitely not a bad thing, but just not so civilized.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feed back. I have owned several KTM but all straight off road. I am looking at some duel sport action. I have ridden the 990 adventure in the desert even some single track. The 690 would be a duel sport & desert bike with a few twisty rides thrown in for fun.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I demo'd the 690 motard and thought it was a riot. It really hauled ass and could do things the Hyper can't. More of a true SM bike. That said the Hyper is by far a superior rode going bike. For what you are stating as your intended purpose I think the 690 Enduro would be one of the better choices. It can run the street to get you to the dirt and thats what it is intended for. Its not a true dirt bike, (too big) but as a smaller adventure bike it will work great. The 690 singles are bullet proof what I've heard and seen. I will say that some of the build quality was a tad lacking but nothing too too serious. The mirrors were garbage however.............anyway goodluck.

·
comrade moderator
26,762 Posts
Over at the ADV forum there's several guys that ride the crap out of 690E's. I think it's a lot better dirtbike than is being told here.

Compared to a Hyper? Apples and oranges.

·
Registered
865 Posts
IF you're looking for a versatile bike the 690 is it...It will kick ass in open desert, fire roads, and be acceptable in single track, plus it will get around on the freeway. And then you can just put some supermoto wheels on it and you will have a nice SM bike for the SM tracks and from what I heard Streets of Willow.

I consider my Hyper just a sportbike only....I have an WR 450 that I got a street legalized, a SM kit for and it is the coolest bike I've ever had... where it lacks is it can't do the freeway even with taller gearing, but a 690 could hang frwy time. I take that bike everywhere... on the street in SM trim, put the knobbies back on and run at MX tracks, and do the single track up in Gorman, dual sport in Big Bear....All I did was have the suspension done and it just does everything well (except freeway) Nothing beats having a quality jack of all trades bike.

·
Registered
243 Posts
just sold a 08 690 SMR .It was a blast and really went well with the Wings pipes on it.I thought the quality was as good or better than the HM and it felt WAY lighter and flickable than the HM.I wasnt allowed to keep both so the KTM went.
I miss it and want another proper motard.I would buy another in a heartbeat.
If I had a choice between the two I'd still take the HM.
Jonathan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks again for all of the input. I decided for now to add a 530EXC for some duel sport action. I may let go of the Hyper later but I did the wrong thing (i went for a ride on it).

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I'll trade ya'

I have a 2007 KTM 690 SM and all I do is dream about owning a Hyper (explains why I'm on this forum).

I'll be at MotoGP, we can make the trade there......:D

Dave

·
Registered
270 Posts
id like to add in this,

i sold my hyper and bought a gsxr 750. the hyper is not a true motard. its basically a multi-strada with different geometry. its is an awesome bike and the cream of the crop in the motard family. its an absolute blast. once you hit 80mph + its really unsafe and not stabile. i hit 126 once and scared the crap out of my self. i hit 126 on the 750 and i feel as if i am levitating. to spend 15k for a bike to do wheelies, pose at coffee shops and stay under 80 isnt worth it.......just my opinion.

·
Registered
198 Posts
The 690 is a great bike BUT single cyclinder motards get very old very fast unless you also own a more capable street bike (especially in the US). I like the hyper because it is a good compromise. It won't do all the stuff a real motard can (at least not with me at the controls) but it will also do a lot of things a real motard CAN'T do, like comfortably taking you from point A to point B at highway speeds...

·
Registered
865 Posts
id like to add in this,

i sold my hyper and bought a gsxr 750. once you hit 80mph + its really unsafe and not stabile. i hit 126 once and scared the crap out of my self. i hit 126 on the 750 and i feel as if i am levitating. to spend 15k for a bike to do wheelies, pose at coffee shops and stay under 80 isnt worth it.......just my opinion.
Well unfortunately you opinion isn't well documented but mine is... (I finally have a reason to display my super-DE-lux timer/data aquisition Unit's capabilities) As you will see below I am hitting 89.7 MPH on a sweeper at Buttonwillow Raceway...my BALLS are not big enough to go faster but the Hypermotard still has legs at this point and stability. What is lacking here is ONLY my ability and the size of my BALLS... My Throttle position is 88.5% so I have more throttle to give and RPM's at 6479...The Hyper is leaned pretty far over at that speed...My butt pucker level was 8 of 10 so I know I and the bike can do better next time.... All the while the bike is quite stable ... So your claim that you need to stay under 80 MPH and pose at coffee shops is quite unfounded especially when I can pull close to 90MPH while leaned over and not feel I'm going to lose it . Might I suggest a Cafe Puss'e for you and your Gixxer 750 at your next coffe shop posture session ?:D

[/IMG]

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I can run some sweepers at 80-90 mph and feel comfortable. The Hyper feels planted after the supsension is set up properly............not so much otherwise. Really, it is the lack of wind protection and aerodynamics beyond that that makes the bike feel like it's at its limits.

Cafe Puss'e.....................would you like cream with that? I know someone else was thinking that. :cool:

Out!

·
Registered
292 Posts
Thanks again for all of the input. I decided for now to add a 530EXC for some duel sport action. I may let go of the Hyper later but I did the wrong thing (i went for a ride on it).
I have a 450EXC. If I could have just one it would be the EXC. Love my Hyper but I prefer off-road riding more than street or track.

·
Registered
123 Posts
...good ol' 93Octane... always creating a fuss...

I don't think you can really compare the 690 Enduro and the Hyper - unless you plan on putting street tires on the Enduro- but then why not look at the SMC, SM(R) or Duke?

I have the Duke and it's like the HMs little brother, with the same suspension travel (although a lot firmer out of the crate), similar riding position, same aversion to low RPMs, etc., just a lot less power. That said you can pin the throttle on the Duke and not stain your pants. The Duke is my daily driver, especially since the HM is still having major surgery.

The Duke can hang with the HM off the line, but the HM pulls away at about 60mph and obviously has a lot more drive from a corner. The Duke is a lot easier to throw around because its an honest 30KGs lighter.

If I had to choose, though, I'd have to keep the Hyper.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've owned the old Duke II and it was a really fun bike in the city, but on the freeway at 80mph it sucked big time. Too much vibration from that thumper motor, and I had the weighted bar ends in it too.

The new Duke 690 was suppose to eliminate the vibration problem. My friend has one and he's pretty fast on it, and I have a hard time keeping up with him on the hyper.

If I had a choice, I still pick the Hyper because I am partial to v-twins and dry clutches:) Plus, you have to use 10w60 in the Duke 690, and who really stocks that?

·
Registered
243 Posts
just sold a 08 690 SMR .It was a blast and really went well with the Wings pipes on it.I thought the quality was as good or better than the HM and it felt WAY lighter and flickable than the HM.I wasnt allowed to keep both so the KTM went.
I miss it and want another proper motard.I would buy another in a heartbeat.
If I had a choice between the two I'd still take the HM.
Jonathan
what a nob.
just sold the HM and bought a SMC 690.As most ( ie just about all) my riding is in Sydney , the longer legs of the HM werent needed and it was prolly just a matter of time before I got myself into trouble.
The SMC is brilliant , but the seat is a plank.
It's better suited to my use.
jonathan

·
Registered
198 Posts
id like to add in this,

i sold my hyper and bought a gsxr 750. the hyper is not a true motard. its basically a multi-strada with different geometry. its is an awesome bike and the cream of the crop in the motard family. its an absolute blast. once you hit 80mph + its really unsafe and not stabile. i hit 126 once and scared the crap out of my self. i hit 126 on the 750 and i feel as if i am levitating. to spend 15k for a bike to do wheelies, pose at coffee shops and stay under 80 isnt worth it.......just my opinion.
Should have bought a 675 instead... It's like the Gixxer only with a midrange and a personality :D

And before I forget... the worst part of owning a GSXR-750 is dealing with the all the retards who are going to call when you are going to sell it... That's enough aggravation to make one want stick with 20G+ bikes for the rest of their life :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts