Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
So im ATTEMPTING some routine maintenance..first since owning the bike. After doing all the disassembly just to get to the god damn airbox..im aggravated as hell but look on the bright side of things and chalk it up to learning about my bike so its still cool and fun. Start at the rear bolt for the airbox lid... KEEPING IN MIND THE PREVIOUS THREAD OF STRIPPING THE PLASTIC ON THE AIRBOX THAT HOLDS THE NUT.... and snap! then smooth unthreading for the rest..and the same continues for the next 4 bolts. Then move to the front 2... Annnnnddddddd no snap. Just a resisting feeling that gets easy then hard..easy then hard. PLASTIC STRIPPED! so how the hell do i get these out now?

I just dont get it. You pay big $$$ for a bike thats really just poorly built. Great design but built like some chinese shit.

Horrible forks..rotors that warp/pulse because they cant handle the power and heat of the brembos.. a rear shock with plastic fucking preload adj. nuts.. headlight thats comparable to a coal miners head lamp.. handguards that snap at the slightest pressure.

I mean i love my hyper and its a blast but every god damn thing is a project when it comes to maintenance or adjustments.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Wow and I thought I was pissed when the same thing happened:eek:

My dealer covered it under warranty with brand new airbox

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
welcome to the club!the stupid nylon nut on that ohlins is replaced under warranty getn my suspension done as i speak new springs, valving,etc... the forks really suck on these machines i hope what im getn done solves it.the nylon nut that strips is replaced by a alloy nut...go figure.and for the airbox just ditch it and get the beast r pods or duc shop pods.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have yet to own a bike of ANY manufacture or price that ISN'T built with the cheapest fastners of all sorts (soft metal, stripping plastic, you name it). It drives me nuts too.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts

Couldn't find the original title... F' Them All

·
Registered
245 Posts
Try working on a Yamaha. Trust try to slightly over tighten any bolt and enjoy the fun that will cause. Oh and if you don't get the bolts on right you will never see them again.

One thing I have learned about owning a Ducati is be extra very incredibly stupid careful when doing anything to it. Because someone must have been stupid when they came up with some of the parts that go into this thing.

It is a blast to ride though.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ive owned my R1 for 4 years and have done a lot of work myself to it and never had any problems. Maybe you just have that Kung-Fu grip.^^^ I own 3 Yama's and never had issues. Guess thats why im so pissed.

Damn near every other thread on here is how another part is warrantied due to horrible building practices. With the aggravation of mechanical issues, every part that gets warrantied they should take a 1000$ off the remaining cost of the loan.

I finally got the lid off. Jammed a screwdriver inbetween the lid and box and pryed it up while i ratcheted the bolts. It was the only way to get it off. S really does stand for SUCKER!!! Im just gonna start adding an S to the end of anything I sell. Should add a cool 5 G's to the price. Ford F-150-S... Yamaha YZ250F-S... Charmin Ultra Tough-S... Aunt Jemima Pancake Syrup-S!

·
Registered
605 Posts
All they have to do at the factory is lighten up on the torque and use some antiseize. Come on, its an airbox cover. Every Italian bike I've wrenched on had some really stupid tight fasteners, totally unneccessary. I went through my entire bike and loosened/retorqued, antiseize, loctite where appropriate. Makes for easier work later.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
All they have to do at the factory is lighten up on the torque and use some antiseize. Come on, its an airbox cover. Every Italian bike I've wrenched on had some really stupid tight fasteners, totally unneccessary. I went through my entire bike and loosened/retorqued, antiseize, loctite where appropriate. Makes for easier work later.
Glen- I'll give you $20 to do the same to mine! :D:D:D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Wow, $20 per fastener is a generous offer!:D

Charlie,

Actually you must have hit a lot of them during your crash rebuild. The triple clamp bolts were especially too tight.

·
7,733 Posts
Try working on a Yamaha. Trust try to slightly over tighten any bolt and enjoy the fun that will cause. Oh and if you don't get the bolts on right you will never see them again.
Been there done that. By far, Yamaha "butter for fasteners" are the worst I've ever used.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The R6 was pretty good except for the way the fairings stayed on, kinda a pain in the rear.

The YFZ-450 quad and the WR-250F dirt bike well that is a different story. Trust me, the bolts are very soft. I even used a torque wrench on the quad and it still snapped a bolt head off in the oil tank. :mad:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts