Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been a while since I posted. I tend to post on the technical installs/upgrades/etc.

So, my fellow Duc owners, I need some opinions...

I currently own, love and constantly improve my 2008 Hypermotard S Black. I have had many different bikes, love the track, mountain trips, etc. Previous bikes are CBR900RR, K1200S, R1, YZ250, CRF450...list goes on.

Wife has me down to the Hyp. Miss the litre sportbike.

So...the big Q:

I have a chance to purchase a used 2008 1098S with 300 miles on it for $12,500.

Pull the trigger? Take the heat from the wife?

Give me the pro'/con's...

Again, the HM-S is the most fun bike I've owned...not nearly as quick around the track as the R1 but in the boring urban setting, it rocks.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, smoking price for a 1098S!! I have both and live in the Orlando area as well. I truly enjoy the Hyper in almost every setting. The 1098 is sexy and fast and it makes quick work of the straight sections here in FL. I had the 1098 first and wanted something completely different so I went with the Hyper. I tend to ride the Hyper more due to the fun factor and practicality of it. The 1098 gets looks and satisfies the need for speed but I don't want to scratch it because it's so damn good looking!

So...

Ask for permission or forgivness??? :think:

·
Registered
862 Posts
If nothing else the 1098S has more resale value. I love my Hyper, but every once in a while I wonder if I should have gotten the 1098 instead, but then I hit the mountains and start to grin. The 1098 makes a better flat land bike as it is zippier and has some wind protection. It does not hurt in the looks department either.

The Hyper is a fun bike and is a more casual ride that you can goof off on. The 1098 will kick your butt and drive you into the ground at mach 1 if you disrespect it. Also for a longer ride the Hyper is going to be easier on your back, wrists and butt. The suspension is more accommodating on rough roads and makes a better bi-posto.

·
Registered
226 Posts
If nothing else the 1098S has more resale value. I love my Hyper, but every once in a while I wonder if I should have gotten the 1098 instead, but then I hit the mountains and start to grin. The 1098 makes a better flat land bike as it is zippier and has some wind protection. It does not hurt in the looks department either.

The Hyper is a fun bike and is a more casual ride that you can goof off on. The 1098 will kick your butt and drive you into the ground at mach 1 if you disrespect it. Also for a longer ride the Hyper is going to be easier on your back, wrists and butt. The suspension is more accommodating on rough roads and makes a better bi-posto.
I don't know what value you are talking about. I had 08 1098 with full termis $3k paid OTD $21700 and sold it 15 months later for $12250 with 5K miles on it. I bought 08 HM with half termis and 600 miles for $9500.

1098 was fun and fast but HM makes me ride like crazy and for speed now I have C14.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i have a 1098 and a hypermotard s. if i had to choose one and only one, the hypermotard would stay and the 1098 would go. the hyper is more fun to ride and doesn't get uncomfortable for the longer mundane hauls. i recommend you get both :D

·
Registered
670 Posts
Well in my opinion if you are not gonna get it you are going to be miserable, and if your wife loves you she wouldn't want you to be misarable would she? if she doesn't care, she will make your life miserable if you get the bike, so both ways you will be miserable, if this is the situation get the bike anyways... with a new Rolex for the wife...

·
Premium Member
12,278 Posts
Some things a man just has to do...It will be her turn next... you like? Buy it , if she can harp about it enough to take the grin off you mug ,than don't buy . If you can remain smiling all the while she is harping , its a good deal... I've noticed that a Woman just has to Squawk at times even for no reason....You should really include her in the process , Too bad you couldn't somehow make it like it was her Idea somehow

·
Registered
862 Posts
I don't know what value you are talking about. I had 08 1098 with full termis $3k paid OTD $21700 and sold it 15 months later for $12250 with 5K miles on it. I bought 08 HM with half termis and 600 miles for $9500.

1098 was fun and fast but HM makes me ride like crazy and for speed now I have C14.
Wow I had no idea the price dropped that much on a 1098S, is it because the 1198 came out?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts