Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone...need a little help here. I was out riding on Thursday evening and my bike over heated. It was running 220+ all night and the check engine light came on at one point. I shut it down for about 30 mintues, re-started it and the light was off.

The bike is all stock, I have removed the pea shooters from the exhaust and the canister was removed before I bought the bike.

Here's how it goes down...I can ride the bike and it will maintain normal temperatures, but as soon as I stop at a light or something, the temperature creeps up. I know thats normal, but when you aren't sitting still, the bike should cool off a bit from the air movement...mine never does. You pull up to a light, it creeps to 200 or so. You continue to ride and it never cools off. The next light you hit, it creeps to 210 or so and the same thing.

Even on the highway, the temperature never came back down. It would maintain the same temperature, but it would never come down. I got on the highway and the temp was at 224...it never came back down, I rode at 75 mph for around 30 miles.

I'm guessing this is all related, but my bike also stalls when I first crank it. I've read the various threads on this issue and haven't been able to correct it either.

I have 2800 miles on the bike. Could it be a valve adjustment? Does anyone have the specs on the valve clearance???

·
Banned
1,152 Posts
220 is fine, that's oil temp not water. The check engine light was most likely from a different issue as is the starting issue.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont think your over heating?? i live over in a tropical island and my bike consistantly runs in the 240-260 degree range with no probs!! I believe the overheating range is somewhere around 300.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
220-240 is normal on pretty much all air cooled motors ...Oil only has so much cooling efficiency.

I saw 230 the other night in stop and go traffic; I richened up the mixture 10 clicks in an attempt to use fuel to cool down the motor. It worked and I got 10 degrees ... The only REAL solution would be another or larger cooler (Febur or NCR).

·
Registered
513 Posts
using the fatduc I have richened the mixture and the bike does run noticeably cooler.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hotest mine was 112 deg C, Pete 130 is gettin up there mate!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting reading....so it's not overheating then??? Sounds like 220-230 is pretty normal for most then. Huh??? I'm used to the water cooled, Jap bikes, and you'd never see 230 on those. I know the air cooled bikes are different, but I was kind of alarmed at those temperatures.

Thanks again everyone...

·
Registered
605 Posts
Temps will swing quite a bit on an air cooled bike. 230 F for a stock bike is good. Mine used to hit 270F+ on occasion in summer traffic so don't be surprised. When its setup richer temps will drop 30 deg on average.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok...so I pulled the plugs and they are WHITE! I know that means it's running lean. How do I richen the fuel mixture?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Hotest mine was 112 deg C, Pete 130 is gettin up there mate!
yeah, was after i fitted the zard headers it opened up a bit. only get right up there sat still in 30c at the lights, comes back down pretty quick. I'll look at that little wing thing you did for the air cooler for summer. at the moment riding I can't get it up above 90c and its not even that cold yet.

a decent oil cooler with the bypass would be nice..

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Ok...so I pulled the plugs and they are WHITE! I know that means it's running lean. How do I richen the fuel mixture?
You have a few options.

1) Fatduc O2 manipulator
2) PCIII or Rapidbike module to tune the injection
3) VDSTS software and do it yourself
4) Take it to the dealer and tell them you want them to richen up the mixture (may cost you some $$)
5) Make friends with a dealer tech and slip 'em a few bucks or a 6-pack and ask them to do it for you

·
Registered
12 Posts
dirty up those air filters and it won't get as much air! :D

My bike ran 240 at the stop lights on the way home at 4:00 yesterday and 230 while at highway speed

·
Registered
198 Posts
I had mine in the 230-240F range while cruising at speed after a WOT run on the highway.
I'm in Florida and I have the Evotech rad guard which increases the oil temp somewhat.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
dirty up those air filters and it won't get as much air! :D

My bike ran 240 at the stop lights on the way home at 4:00 yesterday and 230 while at highway speed
I know you...you're that guy on that sick mo' fo' hyper aren't you??? :D

I'm going to tear into it this weekend and see what's up. Maybe I've got a rat's nest in the air box???

1 - 15 of 15 Posts