Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm heading from Australia to California in late November to catch up with my bro. He's just got back into motorbikes after a long break and has some dodgy Suzuki 750 twin. We reckon I should rent a bike so we can try out some of the outrageous canyon rides I see you blokes talking about. If I'm going to hire something why not hire something cool like what sits in my shed. Any ideas?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that information everyone, I've located those companies on the internet and will ge my brother to set something up. He's in Huntington Beach and his son lives along the Topanga Canyon Rd. It looks to me like there is some good riding out that way. Was it this board that posted a couple of really good rides the other day? I can't remember but I printed the details off and sent the map to my bro.

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Topanga Canyon is a stone's throw from my house ... literally 2-3 miles. Hit me up with a PM when you get to town if you need a riding buddy.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Topanga Canyon is a stone's throw from my house ... literally 2-3 miles. Hit me up with a PM when you get to town if you need a riding buddy.
Hey that's sounds great. My bro's son works in that arty farty little village thing on the right of Topanga Canyon Rd halfway up from the beach (vague enough?!).

I saw talk of greating riding along here http://www.lateralg.org/roads/orange/malibu3.htm.

I've got this bad feeling now that my bro is going to talk me into getting something cheaper because he's going to be riding a clapped out Suzuki Interceptor. Also it might be a good idea for me to ride something lame given that I'll probably have to follow him rather than risking "flip flopping" and merrily riding along on the wrong side of the road.

Regards,

Rob

·
Registered
35 Posts
I know what a Honda interceptor looks like; but what does a Suzuki interceptor look like?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I know what a Honda interceptor looks like; but what does a Suzuki interceptor look like?
My bad, it is a Honda Interceptor. I had to go back through my deleted mail to see what bike he told me it was.

Does that make me a Eurobike Snob that I would foget his Jap bike so quickly?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
If I were you I would rent a streetfighter... (because, why not?) and plan a two or three day trip up the coast... there are a few MUST roads here: Angeles crest (the 2) here in LA... the ride up to big sur on HWY 1. Skyline HWY between San Jose and San Francisco... if you can, HWY 1 north of San Fran...

but there are a lot more... get in touch when you get here... let's go ride!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just got back and had a huge time.

My brother was riding a pretty tired Honda 500 and as I was going to be riding behind him getting used to the right side of the road, I decided not to rent anything too exotic and got a BMX650GS off Dan at RacyRentals. Dan was real friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately I couldn't get in touch with any of the blokes over there because I was staying at a place in Beverly Glen my brother was working on which had no internet.

First day we rode up Topanga Canyon, down Tuna Canyon, up PCH to Malibu Canyon to Mullholland Hway and out to the Rock Store and then as far as the RockStorePhotos location. My brother was crapping himslef because of the skidmarks all over the road, he was expecting to come around a corner and run into a sideways ricer but we found out later Mullholland had been closed down a few days earlier for a movie shoot.

Next day we rode up PCH to Neptunes Net, seems to be a more hard core biker set there. From Neptunes Net we rode up the street right next door called Perto Bueno or similar, fantastic bends that suited the Beemer. Couldn't stand being stuck behind my brother any longer and took off to enjoy the tight bends. Perto Bueno joined Mullholland and we returned to the Rock Store to see an even bigger turnout of. Well over a hundred bikes. Apparently we just missed Jay Leno who was testing the new Aprilia.

A really friendly biker community out that way, everyone waves (except most of the Harley riders) and most people are happy to have a chat at the rock Store. I'm going back next year for sure.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts