Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm new here - in fact new to street bikes as well. Been riding dirt bikes for a long time though and must admit that I was quite impressed when I recently test - rode an '08 Hyper with the full Termi exhaust and an adjustable steering damper installed. The upright position, wide bars & seat are similiar to a dirt bike so I felt very comfortable. At 6'7" with a 34" inseam though, I'm concerned about the long term comfort of the bike if I were to purchase one :think:. I know there are lowering options, but if anything, I'd be more interested in raising the seat height, lowering the footpegs slightly and raising the bars (maybe a sub - mount Scott's damper for this). My local dealer in Brea, CA has several '08 models available so I could probably get a good deal on one and would definitely go with the full exhaust, accessory mirrors and hand guards as I felt the stock bar - end mount mirrors were marginal, at best.

I'd appreciate any feedback anyone could provide.

Thanks, WT

·
Registered
132 Posts
I'm not quite as big as you, but I'm 6'4" with a 33 1/2" inseam, 205lbs. I traded my Multistrada for the Hyper specifically BECAUSE the tall, upright ergos fit my build so much better!

Since purchasing, I did get a set of DucatiDesigns adjustable pegs. Mostly because my size 14 foot got STUCK between the stock peg and shifter on my 1st ride! THAT was scary. But the adjustable pegs fixed that problem. They come in 3 different lengths. I got the middle one, which lowers things by about an inch or so. There's a longer version as well. I'm not a peg scraper, so I don't care about the lower draggables.

You can also jack the preload up, which is recommended for heavier guys anyway, and this will raise the back by an inch or more. There's also a Ducati adjustable linkage that will allow you to raise (or lower) the ride height. I had cranked up the preload most of the way, but then the bike felt TOO tall and twitchy, so I lowered it back down to where it feels right.

As for the bars, I have added risers to ALL my other bikes, but I'm finding the Hyper's bar height to be just about perfect as is. The grips fall right into my hands.

I LOVE the bar-end mirrors! This is the 1st bike where I can actually see ALL the way behind me without bringing in my elbows! At first, I wasn't loving how w i d e the Hyper feels in tight quarters, but now I'm perfectly comfortable with the width.

Take it for a 2nd, long ride and see how you feel. I think the only "taller" option would be something like a BMW GS, but that thing is so big it scares me! :eek:

Good luck!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Well, I'm 6'2" 210 with a size 14 and I love the bike. I am looking at alternative seats for comfort, not ride height.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Hypre-

I have a do-it-yourself solution for the seat. I played around with a spare stock seat I bought off eBay for $50, and have finally got something that's VERY comfortable.

1A. Remove the staples that hold the seat cover on. You can leave the front portion stapled - stop at the lowest "wing" area near the front. Slide/roll the cover forward to reveal the foam.

1B. Shave down to foam so it looks similar to the Comfort/Race profile. Use a VERY sharp bread knife or long, thin serrated knife or electric carving knife to cut a wedge out of the foam. Make an angled cut about 1.5 inches deep at the WIDEST point of the seat, then from that point, cut out a FLAT "pancake" of foam moving toward the front. The angle of your cut should bring you to a point where you end up even with the top of the foam when you're a few inches from the tank. (Draw some center lines and a rough path with a sharpie to help guide you.) A slight "sawing" motion really helps.

2. Buy a Nordic Track exercise mat at Sears for $25. It's made from a 3/4" thick, springy grey closed-cell foam that is similar in density to the stock seat foam, but it springs back much more quickly and cushions better without compressing as much as the stock foam.

3. Cut two "guitar pick" shaped pieces out of the mat which roughly match the size and shape of the cut-out area of the modified stock seat. I made one of these slightly smaller, and I tapered the edges at a 45 degree angle, so there would be a nice smooth, rounded edge transition once everything was done.

4. I have trouble with numb nuts and "taint", so I cut a 1/2" wide slot in the smaller "guitar pick" foam insert to make that area softer, and relieve nerve pressure.

5. Put the smaller pad on the seat in the cutout area, then put the bigger one on top of that one - it should overlap about 3/4" all around. I tapered the edges so the tapered parts are on the BOTTOM of the foam, which makes the edges look nice and smooth when everything is back together (it's hard to cut the foam so it's perfectly smooth). Make sure it's all centered and fitting nicely in the cutout area, then carefully work the cover back over the seat without shifting anything, and put a few staples in to lightly hold it on. (You'll need a power stapler or good gun-type hand stapler and 1/4" staples.) See how it looks/feels. If all is good, then stretch and staple the cover back on in more places.

With this setup, the seat is flatter and the new foam really supports, yet cushions. It's like sitting on an Ohlins shock - it absorbs the bumps, vibes and whatnot with a smooth, fluid feel that is springy and supportive, but not mushy. It is also just as high as stock, but with the flatter profile. (The two new foam pads fill the 1.5" cut, so the seat profile looks almost seamless at the rear cut-in point.)

Anyway, it's a bit of work but, for me, it has transformed the seat into an über-comfort seat!

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
I would think that the dual sport bikes like KTM and BMW GS bikes would better suit you, maybe even a Suzuki Vstrom.

Lower pegs equals more dragging and a lot of people are already carving off their pegs and shifters on a stock Hyper.

Out!

561 Posts
I tried a HM a while back and found it too small for my frame 6'4" 250 lbs 36" inseam , and quite frankly didn't like it much for anything but in town rididng at best ? So I bought a KTM nd have never looked back......I know....I know this is a Ducati fourm, but sometimes ya gotta go with what fits ya properly, and the KTM will leave a HM in the dust.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Well, I am also 6'4", and around 220lbs. 34" inseam. Have no problems at all with the Hyper. Tried several other bikes since, and mine still feels great. Will try a friends ktm 990sm, from sitting on it, seems like it has a bit more room, but, looks just don't compare!!

I have the DP Comfort Gel seat, since purchase, and can do 4-5hr stints, with a quick fuel stop.....little sore at the end, but to be expected :) Pegs are not lowered, and are fine. I am having the suspension setup over the wknd, and believe the preload adjustment in the rear shock should give me a little more room - which is more than sufficient.

Would not consider having a taller bar, it already seems in the perfect position, very comfortable. Also, the stock mirrors are great, brilliant view, some vibration, but work a treat!

Tried out the streetfighter a while ago, and could not believe how much more space, and comfort the hyper seemed to have after getting back on it.

If like me your heart lies with Ducati, go for it, will fit no worries!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the quick responses! Seems like there are others here who're taller than average and own Hypers. That's encouraging. FWIW I have a KTM 950 SE and that bike fits me very well. I too had test rode the Streetfighter and even though I was thrilled with the power and braking, the egros of the bike wern't as friendly as those of the Hyper. And being a noob street rider, I think I'd get in trouble quick with with it:eek:
WT

·
Registered
59 Posts
Way better than for a small guy! I'm short and the bike is too tall. A lower seat etc.. fixed it but I'd imagine at your size a Hyper is as comfy as a Ducati gets

·
Registered
253 Posts
I tried a HM a while back and found it too small for my frame 6'4" 250 lbs 36" inseam , and quite frankly didn't like it much for anything but in town rididng at best ? So I bought a KTM nd have never looked back......I know....I know this is a Ducati fourm, but sometimes ya gotta go with what fits ya properly, and the KTM will leave a HM in the dust.

Damn, those stripes set off the 999. Looks good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts