Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After my track day at NJMP (I love NJ) I'm starting to consider giving up on road riding, at least as long as I live on LI. With that in mind I'm going to start looking for an 848 (maybe trade the Hyper for an 848) for track duty and an occasional road ride.

Has anyone taken advantage of the special financing on the 848. Or anyone buy an 848, if so what's the otd price?

Thanks

Tom

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know this is not your question but, I am feeling the same as you.
I want to do the same thing and spend most of the time on the track. After about 7-8 track days on the Hyper I want something made more for the track.
If you get a chance try out a CBR 1000RR. There are lot's of left over '08's for CHEAP. It's not a twin but damn it will make you forget about an 848 after you ride it. My next purchase will be the RR. Check out the new RRW magazine.

Just my .02.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
all things considered (above and more), AND if you want to stay in the Ducati family, own the 848. it's a super bike, offers great value, and would appear track capable. it's one of the best riding motorcycles i've ever owned.

regards

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are certainly a lot of good track bikes around and Honda was my ride of choice for many years. But I do want to stay in the Ducati family. At 370 lbs. and 134 hp I would think the the 848 would be a good choice. And the torque should be a lot of fun exiting the corners.:D

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ask Mike "Lord Duck Hunter" that works for Dan Kyle. Dude has rode every damn thing there is on the track and he says it's "848" the best track bike he has ever rode.

·
Registered
441 Posts
After my track day at NJMP (I love NJ) I'm starting to consider giving up on road riding, at least as long as I live on LI. With that in mind I'm going to start looking for an 848 (maybe trade the Hyper for an 848) for track duty and an occasional road ride.

Has anyone taken advantage of the special financing on the 848. Or anyone buy an 848, if so what's the otd price?

Thanks

Tom

If your going to track a 848 seriously, you will need to spend quite a bit of money on the suspension front and rear.
i know as I used to own one! :abduct:

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
If your going to track a 848 seriously, you will need to spend quite a bit of money on the suspension front and rear.
i know as I used to own one! :abduct:
Can you elaborate on that?

Too many people think you need to spend a fortune on suspension which isn't really true. If you set up the stock suspension properly it will work just fine unless maybe you are racing against, Rossi, Stoner, Spies or Haga. If you are just doing some track days don't worry about it. Sure its nice to have trick Ohlins and such but not really crucial especially if you are doing 8-10 track days a year.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be a dick here (and not singling you out doon) but I've seen so many posts on this site from people about upgrading suspension etc. that I'm curious as to how they ride or how much they must weigh. I've ridden stock suspensions on all kinds of rides and half time they are not even set up for me at all, yet you can still push the bike if you learn the bike. Too many folks get it in their head that the bike isn't set up for "me" and use that as an excuse because they can't ride very well when really it doesn't matter how well it is set up, they just can't ride as well as they think.

Look back 15-20 years ago and guys racing Moto GP didn't even have as good of suspension on their race bikes as we have on stock bikes now and yet they still rode the piss out of them. Would ride circles around most of us. Wonder how they could do that without all the trick suspension. My guess is they learned the bikes traits and adapted to it.

The 848 will be an excellent track weapon that will give you room to grow yet has enough right out of the box. Once you are running lap times with the expert level riders and you need to gain a second or two then you can upgrade suspension and stuff like that. Most of these superbikes (in stock trim) today are running 3-4 seconds off the pace of WSBK or AMA with equal riders so I think the 848 will do the trick for you. Goodluck with your decision.

·
Registered
441 Posts
The 848 stock setup is designed for 200lb+ riders, also designed to carry a passanger.
Look on ducati spot or the 1098 forums and there are a lot of unhappy people out there, especially lighter riders.
Dan Kyle is the man to speak to if you want to set one up properly.
The 749r is a track weapon ready to go for a lot less money.
My 848 is dead now but I was going to sell it anyway as I couldn't get a decent ride out of it for our roads even with adding a ohlins du515 and different springs and ride height adjuster.
It depends how much money you want to spend.
My 2cents worth anyway.

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
My buddy just parked his 848 on the side of a cliff trying to keep up with my Hyper on a local goat trail.:D Everyone is OK. Just damaged egos and plastics.Could have been MUCH worse.
For the track, I would definately take the 848. For the riding I do...Hyper please.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Can you elaborate on that?
I can and will if you don't mind, I was heavily involved with helping Doon (try and) sort his suspension out.

In essence the rear linkage setup is a complete fuck-up and the ratios are miles out even for a smooth track unless you are a 100kg plus rider, any lighter weight and you with struggle to get it even close.

The rear pivot top arm needs to be longer at the rear or shorter at the front, from memory the area was tight at the front so adding length to the rear would be logical.

Troy Bayliss had his new link in for his last WSBK race and said then that they had finally got it right.

I don't know the dimensions of the change however I would think the rear pivot needs to be 10 - 12 mm longer or about 4-6 mm shorter at the front if the room could be spared.

The factory set up is too short and is making very hard work of trying to compress the spring, this hard work is transferred to none other than the riders arse which I felt 1st hand.

Even with the Ohlins, no compression damping and a 7nm spring it was enough to give ya kidneys a bashing.

Hope this spreads a little more light on it.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I can and will if you don't mind, I was heavily involved with helping Doon (try and) sort his suspension out.

In essence the rear linkage setup is a complete fuck-up and the ratios are miles out even for a smooth track unless you are a 100kg plus rider, any lighter weight and you with struggle to get it even close.

The rear pivot top arm needs to be longer at the rear or shorter at the front, from memory the area was tight at the front so adding length to the rear would be logical.

Troy Bayliss had his new link in for his last WSBK race and said then that they had finally got it right.

I don't know the dimensions of the change however I would think the rear pivot needs to be 10 - 12 mm longer or about 4-6 mm shorter at the front if the room could be spared.

The factory set up is too short and is making very hard work of trying to compress the spring, this hard work is transferred to none other than the riders arse which I felt 1st hand.

Even with the Ohlins, no compression damping and a 7nm spring it was enough to give ya kidneys a bashing.

Hope this spreads a little more light on it.
Well I have never ridden the 848 but I had a 1098 standard so I would guess the set up is a little similiar. I weigh about 180-185lbs depending on the day. It was stiff for sure but sport bikes usually are. I never did set the suspension since I only had it for about a month and half but when riding a supersport I just take it in stride that you will get a little beating. The suspension doesn't start to work until you are flying really. Anyway like I stated I wasn't trying to dog on anyone in particular just that far too many people think the best and the trickest parts will make them better riders when it is far from the case and I stand by my initial post if you will.

Almost sounds like something on Doons 848 was farked up. I can't recall anyone else having that much issue with the bike that Ohlins couldn't even fix it. Cheers

·
Registered
441 Posts
Well I have never ridden the 848 but I had a 1098 standard so I would guess the set up is a little similiar. I weigh about 180-185lbs depending on the day. It was stiff for sure but sport bikes usually are. I never did set the suspension since I only had it for about a month and half but when riding a supersport I just take it in stride that you will get a little beating. The suspension doesn't start to work until you are flying really. Anyway like I stated I wasn't trying to dog on anyone in particular just that far too many people think the best and the trickest parts will make them better riders when it is far from the case and I stand by my initial post if you will.

Almost sounds like something on Doons 848 was farked up. I can't recall anyone else having that much issue with the bike that Ohlins couldn't even fix it. Cheers
As i TOLD YOU IN A PREVIOUS POST, do some research into the problems with the 848/1098 suspension and handling problems.
No my bike was not fucked up, hundreds of people all over the world have had the same problems as I had that know when things are not right.
Since you cant seem do do some research, here i WILL START YOU ON YOUR WAY http://www.1098-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4359
And yes you are starting to sound like a dick!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anyone else feeling as lustful as I do?

I'm not talking motorcycles either! Everytime I see a photo by Roulette, I can't resist clicking the Canon EOS link below it. That leads to my considering squandering significant motorcycle money on a new camera, and that's just wrong. I'm not Catholic but, forgive me father....

Oh yeah, get a pre-uglied bike for the track. When your dancing on the edge and looking for the limits, you need total concentration. Little fears about the consequences of finding them can rob you of confidence at exactly the wrong time. And keep the Hyper.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Buy a Triumph 675.

You wont regret it!!!

Best track bike you can buy if you are looking for something other than Jap.

By roulette, shot with Canon EOS 20D at 2007-01-07

By roulette, shot with Canon EOS 20D at 2008-05-26
My friend has a Daytona 675 and loves it. However he did offer to sell me the 675 so he could buy an 848. I would love a 675 but I really want to stay in the Ducati family. If I keep the Hyper i probably will buy a 675 for the track.

·
Registered
82 Posts
My friend has a Daytona 675 and loves it. However he did offer to sell me the 675 so he could buy an 848. I would love a 675 but I really want to stay in the Ducati family. If I keep the Hyper i probably will buy a 675 for the track.
Mate if you can keep the Hyper and get a 675 for the track that is the ultimate way to go.
I wouldn't get rid of the Hyper to get an 848. Honestly the 675 will out ride the 848 on a track. There is something amiss with the 848 suspension it just doesn't feel right.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
As i TOLD YOU IN A PREVIOUS POST, do some research into the problems with the 848/1098 suspension and handling problems.
No my bike was not fucked up, hundreds of people all over the world have had the same problems as I had that know when things are not right.
Since you cant seem do do some research, here i WILL START YOU ON YOUR WAY http://www.1098-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4359
And yes you are starting to sound like a dick!

Well I was trying to be civil and not be a dick regardless of what you are thinking. You will know when I am being a dick because there will be no mistaking it. However that will not happen here since playing that game on a forum isn't really all that stimulating or satisfying for me. And no I did not search the 1098-forum as I did not feel a need since I do not own an 848. But most everything I read on here (MS) about the 848 was positive. I think I remember someone saying it was a little soft in the back. Just never read that even with Ohlin's it couldn't be sorted. Anyway you can do a search in the superbike forum her on MS if you wish and will see what I am talking about. I won't post that in caps since I am not trying to be a dick. Oh well to each his own.....

Take Care

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mate if you can keep the Hyper and get a 675 for the track that is the ultimate way to go.
I wouldn't get rid of the Hyper to get an 848. Honestly the 675 will out ride the 848 on a track. There is something amiss with the 848 suspension it just doesn't feel right.
Thanks, sounds like a good way to go.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a Hyper and a 675. I've been using the 675 for trackdays and it's been great. Every once in a while I see an 848 or even a nice 999s and I get all lustful for another Ducati. But i know that I'm not going any faster around the track on one of those and the 999 especially is so beautiful that I'd be worrying about damaging it. I'm sticking with the 675, it's paid for, sounds great, handles fine for me and has been stone reliable.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts