Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If someone did this to their Hyper:

Termi Dual Exhaust, 2 into 1 into 2 (collector pipe chopped it open, removed the guts of the catalytic converter and welded the pipe back together) with Termi race ECU tuned for opened collector pipe
Would it be safe to assume is pretty much a full system although "technically" its not? Performance wise, any major difference from a Termi full w/race ECU?

·
Registered
501 Posts
No because the open chamber left behind from the cat would screw with the exhaust flow and probably kill several horse power. The race ecu isn't fully tunable you would still need a power commander to alter the fuel tables afterwards.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Saw this on ebay
Might be easier than chopping up the stock and welding.

About $130 delivered
That is less $ that doing it yourself (assuming your time is worth <than min wage).

That was the exhaust set up on a Hyper I was somewhat interested in. That (exhaust) coupled w/12k/mi. makes it unattractive now.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
56 Posts
If someone did this to their Hyper:

Would it be safe to assume is pretty much a full system although "technically" its not? Performance wise, any major difference from a Termi full w/race ECU?
The primary tubes on the 2-1 are larger than the stock pipes, and they are more of a straight shot to the muffler. So the 2-1 will make more power, but how much? How much do you want to spend for a couple more horsepower? They make a cat removal pipe that isn't too expensive, and will flow better than gutting the cat. You can reflash the 2-1 program onto the slip-on or stock ECU with ducatidiag if you have a magneti marelli ECU.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
FWIW, here is the ad copy:

I have a rock solid 2008 Hypermotard S for sale. The bike has 12,500 miles on it and is mechanic owned and meticulously maintained. All services and service bulletins are completed and up to date. The valve adjustment and belt change and tensioning was completed by Mike at Marin Motoworks using the DDS. The shift fork and spring TSB was completed by Ace motorsports. Brakes and clutch bled with new DOT4 fluid. Chain adjusted, cleaned, and serviced with BelRay super clean chain lube every 1000 miles. Oil change every 2500 miles, AMSOIL 20W50 full synthetic, AMSOIL filter, magnet on bottom of filter casing. This bike has extensive upgrades and modifications. She has taken me to Seattle and back twice. Tried and tested.
If you're anything like me, You don't want to read a bunch of fluff you already know. I figure, if you are reading this ad, you already know what you're looking for. I'll stick to whats unique about this particular bike...
Termignoni "Dual Exhaust". Well, since its 2 into 1 into 2, calling it "dual exhaust" is kind of bullshit. I would say that it is a pipe with a resonating chamber. And that it does the trick. It sounds throaty and visceral. And tucked up under the tail, looks mean too...
I took the original "goose egg" collector pipe and chopped it open. I then removed the guts of the catalytic converter and welded the pipe back together. Looks stock, its not.
Termignoni race ECU. Further tuned for opened collector pipe by Mike at Marin Motoworks.
Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires (dual compound). 50% tread remaining. These are great tires, never slipped on me, Maybe I don't ride hard enough... Yeah, you won't either...
Subframe removed and powder coated red. Original was silver.
Triple clamps removed and epoxy painted satin back. Originally bare aluminum.
Rearsets, passenger pegs, mounting lugs, rear brake and shift lever removed and wrinkle coated satin black. Originally bare aluminum. There is absolutely NO bare aluminum on this bike except the motor.
Original bullshit, buzzy, fucking garbage, flip out mirrors removed and ran over by my work truck. Sorry, it was cathartic...
Original front brake and clutch levers replaced with black CRG shorties. Red adjusters
Pro-taper "YZ High" Gold fatty handlebars. (better sweep, the original bars put my wrists to sleep).
After market mirrors with integral LED turn signals.
Ducati "Flying D" open clutch cover. I kinda want to keep this one. Its been on all of my Ducs. If you buy the bike before I replace it, its yours...

I tried to keep it tasteful. I see too many nice bikes overdone and dripping with red anodized shit and carbon fiber everywhere... I don't like that. I wanted it to look somewhat stock. You know its been done up a little, but you can't put your finger on it.
You may ask "Why are you selling this bike"? The answer is, I am on a quest for the perfect bike. As you may know, The perfect bike does not exist. So, I'm going to buy and sell a lot of bikes trying to find it.
Ok, so now to the details. Unfortunately I have to state the obvious
I do not want to trade, I will not allow you to make payments to me, or some sort of convoluted loan scam. Cash in hand only. No cashier's checks, no money orders, no travelers checks, just don't even ask...
I have the title in hand, in my name. Test rides with the whole asking price in my hand and M1 license. Ride as long as you want. I'm confident... You'll want it.
I'd like to have $8500 for this bike.
Two cents welcome....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Sounds like alot for some half assed hokey home brew bike. All the parts painted or replaced are the common items after you crash. I paid 8k for an 08 1100S with 1,200mi back in 2010. Mine included 1800 worth of Magical racing carbon and Rizoma and a unmodified powertrain.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
Zard did a very good job with their header

ZARD 2-1 SS Manifold: Hypermotard 1100

It is a true 2-1 system with a nice smooth collector design going into a larger diameter pipe.

Nick said his HM made better power with this pipe than anything else he had.
It eliminated the flatspot and gave it a very smooth powerband.

-M

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Spark header pipe still uses the vertical cylinder head pipe which is questionable if you ask me. Bursi Evolution makes headers that replace from the heads to the midpipe that are very reasonably priced compaired to the Termi, Arrow, and Zard headers.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great info to all, thanks.

I found another good deal on an EVO SP w/good bits but stock exhaust. What is the recco'ed 'bang for the buck' way to go on upgrading the exhaust if you don't want to drop $3k on a full termi system?

Cat delete, slips & ecu? Other?

·
Registered
501 Posts
Great info to all, thanks.

I found another good deal on an EVO SP w/good bits but stock exhaust. What is the recco'ed 'bang for the buck' way to go on upgrading the exhaust if you don't want to drop $3k on a full termi system?

Cat delete, slips & ecu? Other?
My setup; not the cheapest but reasonable.
Bursi Evolution headers $380
Silmoto single exhaust $315 (ebay)
Motalab reflash $250
Powercommander V $250
Dyno time $200
Carbon side panels $100
Total of $1500 puts 91hp at the wheel.

I had a lv cat delete which was only 250 instead of 380 for headers. the bike ran well with just the reflash also so you could skip the tune and pcv. Plus some guys dont mind not having the side fairings if thats you too save a few bucks there.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Or you could just core the exhausts that come standard on the bike for very little $

1 - 14 of 14 Posts