Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Riding this Sunday in the mountains, came around a corner followed by some bumps - the Hyper just quit. Felt like someone had turned the key off.

Pulled over to the side and tired to restart - nothing. No starter. Horn worked, but everything else was dead , including the dash.

Checked the wiring under the seat - 30A fuze was fine. The only thing I could see that might - repeat might - be an issue is some abrasion of the wiring where a bar goes over the gas tank and holds the main wiring underneath. I have the large after-market 6.4 gallon tank and things are a bit different under the seat compared to stock.

If the abrasions of these wires caused the bike to die - why would the horn and the security light (red flashing at top of dash) work for a while?

When not being ridden, the bike is connected to a trickle charger.

Has anyone else experience the Hyper dieing while riding - with no apparent electrical power?

Thanks

Lee

·
Registered
174 Posts
Check the 2 relays behind the gas tank. Mine quit on me and the fuel pump wasn't working. I searched around, and the relay had just barely come loose, giving no power to the pump. It also would not attempt to start.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Check the 2 relays behind the gas tank. Mine quit on me and the fuel pump wasn't working. I searched around, and the relay had just barely come loose, giving no power to the pump. It also would not attempt to start.

Great idea - thank you. One question - this bike has the extended 6.4 gallon tank - are they still there? Also, what does a relay look like? Whenyou say behind the tank, would I need to pull the tail section to look or can you see them as is?

Thanks again.

Lee

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have the extended tank as well. if you pull the seat you can see them. I found that I positioned my relay pack upside down, so that the relays were facing the ground. They should be attatched to a plug bolted to the rear of the tank.

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
Riding this Sunday in the mountains, came around a corner followed by some bumps - the Hyper just quit. Felt like someone had turned the key off.

Pulled over to the side and tired to restart - nothing. No starter. Horn worked, but everything else was dead , including the dash.

Checked the wiring under the seat - 30A fuze was fine. The only thing I could see that might - repeat might - be an issue is some abrasion of the wiring where a bar goes over the gas tank and holds the main wiring underneath. I have the large after-market 6.4 gallon tank and things are a bit different under the seat compared to stock.

If the abrasions of these wires caused the bike to die - why would the horn and the security light (red flashing at top of dash) work for a while?

When not being ridden, the bike is connected to a trickle charger.

Has anyone else experience the Hyper dieing while riding - with no apparent electrical power?

Thanks

Lee
Out of curiosity, do you have a Scotts damper mounted? It might be the antenna ring that mates with the chip in your key... I had this issue before and still deal with it from time to time. Just a thought...

B

·
Registered
400 Posts
Out of curiosity, do you have a Scotts damper mounted? It might be the antenna ring that mates with the chip in your key... I had this issue before and still deal with it from time to time. Just a thought...

B
I have the Scotts but haven't had the problem yet. What is the fix if it happens?

·
Premium Member
486 Posts
I have the Scotts but haven't had the problem yet. What is the fix if it happens?
Well, that all depends on the fit of the key cover Scott's supplied, as well as whether or not you seated the antenna ring properly within it... My cover seems to snap off every now and then, and my ring doesn't stay in place very well... when the ring is jarred or shaken (it IS a Ducati after all) out of place it can screw up the signal between the chip in the key and the receiver in the ring... but if your install went well and everything fit properly, chances are you'll be fine. But if not... I just have to put the key cover back into place and start the bike up... sometimes that's not enough and I'll simply move it back and forth, up and down a bit and then try again, and everything syncs up normally... a PITA sometimes, but so far I've been too lazy to come up with a permanent fix.... Scott's is aware of it, but to this day, I'm not sure there's anything they can do to change it.

B

·
Duc ... Duc ... GOOSE!
1,928 Posts
Well, that all depends on the fit of the key cover Scott's supplied, as well as whether or not you seated the antenna ring properly within it... My cover seems to snap off every now and then, and my ring doesn't stay in place very well... when the ring is jarred or shaken (it IS a Ducati after all) out of place it can screw up the signal between the chip in the key and the receiver in the ring... but if your install went well and everything fit properly, chances are you'll be fine. But if not... I just have to put the key cover back into place and start the bike up... sometimes that's not enough and I'll simply move it back and forth, up and down a bit and then try again, and everything syncs up normally... a PITA sometimes, but so far I've been too lazy to come up with a permanent fix.... Scott's is aware of it, but to this day, I'm not sure there's anything they can do to change it.

B

Happened to me this weekend. A quick jiggle and it was all good. No problems since...

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
New battery - still no juice - possible wire scuffs

My dealer was wonderful and overnighted a new battery to me. Filled it - charged it - installed it. No power to the ignition and no red flashing security light.

I have the Ohlins steering damper - will check it but three local dealers/shops have all suggested it would not be an issue.

I did notice that with the enlarged gas tank - the support piece that helps to hold down the tank and also holds down the wires on both sides of the tank - had caused some abrasions in the wires on the left side (facing the bike). Several had the protective sock wrapping and the actual plastic from the wire cover abraided. Careful inspection showed some "black" around the area which makes me think that the metal bracked wore through the wiring and shorted the system.

Anyone have experience with that?

Lee

1 - 9 of 9 Posts