Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, not the best forum for this, but I figure I'll get a more relevant response here.

Basically, I'm looking for a good boot in general and specifically for the Hyper. Which originally meant, for me, something less race oriented simply because you're not canted forward too much on this bike.

That said, I'm having a hard time finding something that fits my scrawny feet. I've sent back two pairs of Sidi Vertigo Airs because the 10's were falling off and the 9.5's, though they fit the top of my foot better, were just too tight length-wise.

So I'm looking for something with good protection and ideally a good bit of adjustment: something that just slips on without any way to get the boot tight around my foot isn't gonna work. About the only option I see is to get a full on race-type boot like the Sidi Vortice which has a tightening system of 3 belts.

Anyone else know of any other good options along those lines (adjustments, not just a slip on boot, good protection without going too far overboard for a street boot)?

TIA!

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have the Sidi Discovery boots. Not a full road race boot and nor are they to much like a motocross either. Perfect boot for this bike IMO.

·
Registered
865 Posts
You should probably go with a race to semi race boot just for the extra protection especially in the heel and ankle.. when I see some of the regular boots its just leather with barely any real protection...

As for fit first you have to go try a couple different types of boots, my Alpinstars fit more comfortably than my Sidis they seem wider. Secondly, put a "air gel insole" Dr. Scholl type insert.. they make the boots feel like tennis shoes and snug up a loose fitting boot...once you've done that you won't go back to stock insoles.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I didn't want a race boot either, and some street boots were barely better than hiking shoes. The MX shorty style boots are nice but look goofy at work. Despite the fact that they get a bad rap for being too bulky, I tried the Icon Field Armor boots and promptly bought them. Since I'm only a size 9, they are not a problem and a shifter adjustment was all that was neccessary. I walked the dog in them a few times and they broke in fine. A very sturdy boot your feet feel safe in, including good heel protection, but comfy enough that you can still wear them all day at work. They are vented so not waterproof if thats an issue. A lot of guys with sport bikes hate them due the the toe height but they can work on the Hyper.

FWIW, I also got the leg armor and a pair of kevlar Draggin Jeans I wear with 661 bomber shorts from my off-road gear bag. A nice setup with great protection when overpants or leathers are not practical.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Boots are pretty personal so take this with a few grains of salt. I need a boot with good protection but I also need to be able to walk comfortably because sometimes, where I ride in the Rockies, rides mix with hikes. I like Oxtars, Frey Daytonas and Sidis but always buy Sidis. The Oxtars run wide for me, the Daytonas are freakishly expensive and the Sidis are just right. My current pair are Sports that are waterproof and very plain looking. I can wear them anywhere, they offer great protection and are completely waterproof. All for under $200.

The tip about replacing your insoles is a good one too. Sidis have removable insoles which give you some flexibility. I'm prone to bouts of achilles tendinitis so I wear insoles (google "superfeet") with a lot of my shoes. Superfeet make insoles of various thicknesses so you can custom fit insole and boot to some pretty strange foot sizes. If you can't find an out of the box boot that fits, this might be worth a try. I use Superfeet greens in my Sidis and can walk for miles.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Boots for the hyper

Greetings,

I picked up a pair of brand new Astars-SMX5's from a member here for short cash. I rode to a large resevoir here with a group and hiked with them. The boots seemed fine for a short hike (about a mile in/out for a total of about 2 miles..) no blisters on my feet or excessive soreness anywhere.

To tone down the look, when I ride around town I run with my jeans over the boot. When running a long ride, I wear a 2 piece and the leathers of course tuck inside the boots.

My only comments so far is that people have said that the outfit looks hard core (2 piece teknics suit, Astars gloves and boots with an AGV lid) but my standard response is dress for the crash, not the look.

Best regards

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still looking around, but I just saw a good review of the A* S-MX Plus boot (vented) and the big upside for me is that its got an internal lacing system. Unfortunately, I fall in the middle of the EU sizing (10US is a 44.5 Euro, which they don't make, so I'll have to try a 45). But hopefully the lacing system does the trick. I think I'll give them a try as soon as my credit for the Vertogo's is issued!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I picked up a pair of sidi vertigo air boots which were nice, but I decided that I wasnt quite "hyper-motarded" enough to rock those with the jeans tucked in. I say pick yourself up a pair of HH jump boots and call it a day.

Superfeet are a good idea too... the bright green ones...

peace

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm still looking around, but I just saw a good review of the A* S-MX Plus boot (vented) and the big upside for me is that its got an internal lacing system. Unfortunately, I fall in the middle of the EU sizing (10US is a 44.5 Euro, which they don't make, so I'll have to try a 45). But hopefully the lacing system does the trick. I think I'll give them a try as soon as my credit for the Vertogo's is issued!

I have these exact boots and I really like them and would recommend them for riding. They are great for warm weather and I have run them comfortably with a heavier pair of socks down to low 40s (a little cool, but not bad). The lace system is great and the zipper is good, but occasionally you have to give it a good tug to get it past the ankle where it bunches a bit.

The only complaint I have is walking in them produces a lot of squeeking from the leather and plastic rubbing. Rolling into a restaurant to grab a bite usually attracts some attention. My dog also freaks out with the sqeeking. They wouldn't be good for walking around much, but are comfortable for minimal walking typically associated with a ride.

Out!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
FWIW: I bought two pairs of Sidi Vertigo Airs, and returned them both. I didn't like how either fit, nor the overall feel. It felt like wearing a pair of Wellies: not very form fitting, no padding, falling off. The leather was extremely nice, but that ain't gonna cut it for me.

Those got exchanged for some A*'s SMX Plus Airs, which were only about $25 more. There's no comparison in my eyes, the A*'s destroy the Sidi's: the leather isn't quite as supple out of the box, but they have an inner boot to snug the fit, better ankle protection, they feel like boots rather than flip flops. The list goes on. No comparison.

·
Premium Member
1,399 Posts
You should probably go with a race to semi race boot just for the extra protection especially in the heel and ankle.. when I see some of the regular boots its just leather with barely any real protection...

As for fit first you have to go try a couple different types of boots, my Alpinstars fit more comfortably than my Sidis they seem wider. Secondly, put a "air gel insole" Dr. Scholl type insert.. they make the boots feel like tennis shoes and snug up a loose fitting boot...once you've done that you won't go back to stock insoles.
+1.... I have narrow heels also and the Dr Scholls "air gel inserts" + a double thick pads made my Sidi Corsa airs super comfy. I'm using my custom insoles and double thick pads in my Sidi ankle height boots and they also fit awesome now.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts