Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 Hyper with around 300 miles - I just got it. I take it out on the weekends and it sits in my garage Mon - fri. Lately every Sat when I go to start up the bike it won't kick over cause the battery doesn't have enough juice - I have to jump it off another battery I have. I am going to go buy a trickle charger this week, but was wondering if others are having this same issue.

Also if I pick up the trickle charger how long do I keep the bike hooked up to it. I heard people say keep it hooked up all the time but was wondering if that is worse for the lifespan of the battery.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I have an 08 Hyper with around 300 miles - I just got it. I take it out on the weekends and it sits in my garage Mon - fri. Lately every Sat when I go to start up the bike it won't kick over cause the battery doesn't have enough juice - I have to jump it off another battery I have. I am going to go buy a trickle charger this week, but was wondering if others are having this same issue.

Also if I pick up the trickle charger how long do I keep the bike hooked up to it. I heard people say keep it hooked up all the time but was wondering if that is worse for the lifespan of the battery.

Thanks.
Make sure your trickle charger has a "float" state. Most name brand chargers (Yuasa, Deltran Battery Tender) have this feature.

·
I Wear The Silver Badge
117 Posts
I have a Deltran charger hooked upto my Hyper when I am not riding it, it might sit for a while. It has been hooked up all winter and I just cranked it over last week. I think it would've started ok if I had my new O2 manipulator hooked upto the right cable. :eek: Once I figured it out (read a post) it kicked right over. On a side note, I have then same type of charger hooked upto an Suburban LAV that gets used 3-5 times a year, and I have never had issues of a dead battery.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I dont have this problem and my bike sat pretty much all winter off a tender and started up fine, bike & battery should be under warranty, have it replaced, buy a charger just because its nice to have in a pinch but dont make that your solution.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I've been using a Battery Tender for many years now and it's extended the life of my batteries. I've never had to replace a battery in any of my motorcycles. The longest I've kept a bike was 8 years (a 1993 CBR900RR) and that battery was still working fine when I sold the bike.

I keep my DR-Z400SM and the Hyper on Tenders whenever I'm not on them.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I dont have this problem and my bike sat pretty much all winter off a tender and started up fine, bike & battery should be under warranty, have it replaced, buy a charger just because its nice to have in a pinch but dont make that your solution.
Agree with this 100%, battery charger is effectively the sticky plaster, go have the stealership sort it out.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Even if you charge it and the bike starts, I've been told that a automotive battery never reaches it's capacity again once it is run down completely. It certainly shouldn't on a bike with 300 miles on the clock.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts