Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I'm on the hunt for a 950 SP, but have come across a 950 at a good discount. I have not been able to find any info on the Factory offered Quickshift upgrade. Has anyone any info on cost/availability and can I DIY it or is a reflash required?

I'd really like the Forged wheels and Ohlins forks but Quickshifter is non negotiable....

Appreciate the thoughts!

Cheers,

Rex II

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So found the part number under a factory update bulletin
Ducati Quick Shift 96580161B
looks pretty straight forward but the interwebs do not address how to activate the functionality.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I just ordered one for my 950 base. I THINK it was 334 bucks? I only glanced at the invoice so I'm not 100% sure. If it puts it into perspective how easy it is, my dealer is installing it for free...so...yeah. Dealers dont do anything for free lol so, it must be easy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@Magsz I Found a reference that it is plug and play no software flash required. I'm being offered $10,995 for 19 base model. Hard not to consider it. Thank you for your reply. Any regrets Not getting the SP? do you like the Marzocchi forks? 5K off the SP and It's local! Personally I preffer the 950 looks over the SP but do love me some Ohlins.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Meh, I thought long and hard about the whole FOMO issue (fear of missing out) and the reality of the situation is, I'm not a good enough rider to care about the Ohlins. I'm too old to worry about the dick measuring contest and having to have the "best".

I'd rather save the five grand and spend it on the wife, or myself or whatever else I might want. I bought the bike for the engine, not because I think having Ohlins is going to turn me into a track star. I also thought about it this way. You can get a cartridge kit AND a rear shock for WAY less than five grand. Not to mention, that cartridge kit will have springs tuned to your weight. The rest of the shit on the SP is all fluff to me. Yes, the wheels are nice but again, I'm not a good enough rider to notice.

I am enjoying everything about my base model, especially the simplistic red paint and black forks. The only thing I'm not loving is the horrific seat...its bad...lol.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I felt the same way and that's why I opted to go with the base. I ordered the quick shifter almost right away after it became available. Th install is pretty straight forward except for taking the front sprocket cover off which is a little jammed in there. You won't have much room to maneuver. This is necessary because in order to remove the shift rod connector, the front sprocket cover has to come off. All in all not too bad but it was much simpler on my SF848.

You will need the dealer to activate it and therefore they do have to plug into the diagnostics. That should be a freebie depending on your relationship with your dealer. I happened to have them activate the quick shifter during my first service. Unfortunately it's not a function you can turn on through the instrument cluster functions on your own. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well thank you guys, great points and info all around. I sent off an Email this morning looking for a best quote with the quick shift installed. Thank you for the nudge in the right direction!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Def an item you can tackle yourself. It is plug and play except for the final function which needs to be turned on by the dealer. Honestly there is some kind of software update for ABS and the battery recall so if it goes in for that they should be able to turn that function on for you at no charge.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I ordered a QS for my bike through dealer to be installed during first service . Thanks to COVID-19 it’s still on back order . I have 550 miles on the bike now and don’t wanna go too far over first service interval. But don’t wanna make two trips to the dealer .....
I have several thoughts on the SP vs Base subject .... First of all is the SP a kick ass bike ? Yes!!!!! But so is the base . All media outlets review these bike as though the base can’t be ridden on the track ... That’s laughable .. I considered the SP a lot . And I think if you have one that’s awesome ... Except for the Öhlins forks you can get pretty close to an SP equipped bike with the base fairly easily . I plan on going with carbon fiber BST wheels so the Marchesini wheels weren’t a big deal to me . Like some here I do prefer the solid red paint . However , I think the SP is still gorgeous . Sport seat vs regular seat ? No comment .. I have ordered the comfort seat from Ducati ... Had to return it because like almost anything you order these days first shipment has to be returned because manufacturers try to push off imperfect items to combat cost of defects . Didn’t Marzocchi forks previously come standard on the SP version ? Point is they’re not bad forks we are getting on the Base model ..... Love both versions . But the base can easily be a track weapon as well .......

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm no track star. I barely understand what preload, rebound and compression are.

Having said that, I can feel the difference between different suspension types and settings, I just dont know how to qualify the differences.

I pushed my base 950 pretty hard this past week right after getting it and I will say for base level suspension, it felt pretty darned good and pretty darned planted.

As I mentioned prior, you can get a shock and a cartridge kit that will probably surpass the Ohlins in quality for less money than the difference between the base and the SP and still have a wad of cash left over.

As this thread is originally about, the only real MUST HAVE between the two is the quick shifter. To the OP, let us know after its all said and done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts