Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Hyper 821 problems

79K views 192 replies 56 participants last post by  Fryortuck 
#1 ·
I have not had any major issues with mine. It stalled 1 time while coming to a stop when riding in some elevation. And my gas cap makes a weird sound every now and then from pressure (which I believe is common, but maybe not normal) but I keep hearing there are a lot of problems out there. I assume dealers are covering the issues under warranty? What issues have you had and what was the outcome.

I have heard of:
- stalling issues
- chain o rings wearing out
- console failing
- error messages
- kinked fuel lines

Just trying to get ahead of the game in case I run into Any of these down the road.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#3 ·
good to hear.

#5 ·
Had my SP 3 months (6000 Km's), warranty claim on stock exhaust due to poor welds, RBW failure twice and front forks are currently being replaced due to damping failure in both fork legs.

#8 ·
RBW = ride by wire.
Dealer had spoken to the warranty guys at Ducati in Italy, and apparently I'm this first guy on the planet to have to warranty the forks, and here's hoping for the rest of you guys, the last.

#9 ·
Well. Sounds like they are taking care of it for you. What happened with RBW? Just stopped working? Stuck?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

#11 ·
when the RBW failed dropped to about 10% power, if that, didnt have enough power to rev past 6k. Error logs both times pointed to the RBW, but Ducati wont warranty any hardware changes unless mechanic can recreate problem. So far he has been unable to do so. FYI the RBW seemed to reset after turning the bike off and restarting, back to full power.

#17 ·
My bike was stalling too and dealer uploaded the latest map but my bike still stalls - time to remove evap canister I guess. Also, wanted to ask this, how does the failed front fork feel like? Mine is pretty rough over the bumps, like it's not compressing any.

#18 ·
Because of the evap canister, the tank gets pressurized. It's because of vacuum lines back to the motor to be burned off. I have had the stalling issue a multitude of times. Random shutoff when it was hot out or at a stop light. I removed the canister and all those problems went away. Plugged the vacuum line with a screw and silicone and extended the fuel line below the bike with the atmosphere hose and a 1/4 inch nylon coupler with clamps. Solved laggy throttle, stalling and multiple cycle starts. Hope this helps you.

#20 ·
Issue I just started having for a week, maybe 20 minutes into riding an error message will flash then go away but my rpm is limited to 6k. Can still shift and ride but revs will stop at exactly 6k. Turn off bike then back on it works fine. Does it almost every other day, but since error message just flashes quickly and is gone, it doesn't show up on the error menu.

#21 ·
is that all?

had my forks replaced, the wbw is bad, the clutch switch created a situation that prevented it from reving past 8400 rpm, I found a kinked hose behind the evap can that caused noise, and my clutch cable snaped too. I've got 7500 miles on mine. I've used it to run Dark Dog Moto Tour Part Deux - ADVrider twice. well, aside from the front forks which nearly killed me before I could figure out what was going on , its been an amazing ride. oh yeah, the panniers were replaced too. (stiching) and I think the clutch is shit for really hard starts.

#23 ·
8100km's on mine in the past 12 months, no issues at all beyond the odd stall when coming to a stop (this stopped after ~1500km's or so) and the odd false neutral between 5th and 6th (I think this is more rider than bike to be honest, if I concentrate on shifting firmly the problem never happens).

Had the steering tube seal fitted as a recall as well, overall very happy with reliability and performance, awesome machine.

Goes in for it's 12 month service in a couple of weeks, will be up for a new rear tyre as the current one is pretty much toast (incidentally the current rear tyre has been plugged for the last 7000km's due to an early puncture, happy to get the full wear out of the tyre - kudos to Safety Seal!)

Fingers crossed the good run continues!

#25 ·
Hey Motoman,

Have the dealer replace the entire throttle assembly. Once my dealer did this on mine the issue went away. It is a known issue. The service bulletin didn't come across for them the usual way. They found and old email from Ducati about this issue and the resolution was to replace the RBW throttle.

Getting close to 3k miles on mine, and this was the only issue. Fixed under warranty of course.

Very happy with the bike so far!!

Cheers!

#49 ·
What's involved in the entire throttle assembly? I just had the part where the actual throttle is replaced for a stalling issue.

Drive out the dealership, bike stalled a few kms later, again. Pretty dangerous to have this happen when riding fast.

Now checking if the kickstand sensor is maybe a little loose causing random stalls. This has been happening for a month now and no solution - quite frustrating.

#27 ·
5.000 miles, 10 months old, 2014 sp and a few issues

-recall >dealer fixed
-milage count went blank, ------ it was fixed by the dealer, reset computer.
-O2 sensor > replace by the dealer under warranty
-headlight bulb (just now) > no waarranty on this

Nothing mayor. Other than this i still love it! So much fun!

#31 ·
I'm having 2 problems with my Hyper 821... Hopefully someone can chime in before I head to the dealer.

First, the bike is hesitating on the highway when at constant speed. At about ~90-94mph and ~6200-6300RPM with just partial throttle to maintain that speed, the engine feels like it's dying. I then give it slightly more gas, and it feels like it dies even more. Then I give it slightly more gas and it then accelerates. I can do it repeatably over and over, and it basically feels like it isn't getting enough fuel. Can anyone try this and see if you experience the same?

Also, my clutch makes a high pitched groan as I just start to engage it. It's loud enough to hear over the sound of the engine. Doesn't matter cold, warm, or hot.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.