Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
270 Posts
I just got my bike back yesterday from the dealer, bad starter as well. Was a long process getting it fixed between working, traveling and nothing having time to bring it to the dealer. They finally saw it and replaced it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've had my '14 SP since August, about 3500 miles with no issues other than a couple hard starts early on (hasn't happened since). It looks like most folks started having problems between 1-3k miles. I wonder how isolated these cases are...

·
Registered
73 Posts
You guys spooked me with all this starter talk. After the dash/coil issue over the last month, my Hyper sounded like it was straining to turn over this morning. It was probably just the cold, but I accelerated my planned trade-in process and went out and got a brand new 1200s this afternoon.

So long Hypermotard. I'll try to remember the good times instead of the bad.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well Fuck !!!! I'm beyond mad, I actually don't even know how to feel anymore. I got the bike back today, they replaced the starter motor this time, so it has a new starter clutch and a new starter motor, I went riding today to test it, rode for an hour or so, the bike seemed unusually louder, motor noise, not exhaust, just clanky, went back home, let it sit for ten minutes or so, tried starting it, this time, even worse than before the fix, the dash dimmed and then turned black, then the words M.Q.E electronics. appeared on the dashboard, along with rev.7??? rev.???? What the fuck do I do now ??

·
Registered
99 Posts
I am getting my replace now I hope my won't get me that problem, i hope ducati will do some recall about it i planing to get extend warranty or trade it if the new one got all the problem resolve.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well Fuck !!!! I'm beyond mad, I actually don't even know how to feel anymore. I got the bike back today, they replaced the starter motor this time, so it has a new starter clutch and a new starter motor, I went riding today to test it, rode for an hour or so, the bike seemed unusually louder, motor noise, not exhaust, just clanky, went back home, let it sit for ten minutes or so, tried starting it, this time, even worse than before the fix, the dash dimmed and then turned black, then the words M.Q.E electronics. appeared on the dashboard, along with rev.7??? rev.???? What the fuck do I do now ??
wtf...

shop definitely screwed something up. The starter motor is pretty intensive - requires draining oil and coolant and removing the whole engine cover.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Warped rotors replaced at about 2800km under warranty. I did not overheat them. Starter replaced under warrantee. Started to screw up at about 7000km. Neutral switch also done under warrantee. Bike would not crank with kick stand down.

Had the double pump front brake lever that drove me crazy. Ducati NA refused to replace the M4s. I did it at my own cost. I justified it by doing GP4 RX as an upgrade. FK'n expensive. I hope it was worth it. Will not know till spring now.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Warped rotors replaced at about 2800km under warranty. I did not overheat them. Starter replaced under warrantee. Started to screw up at about 7000km. Neutral switch also done under warrantee. Bike would not crank with kick stand down.

Had the double pump front brake lever that drove me crazy. Ducati NA refused to replace the M4s. I did it at my own cost. I justified it by doing GP4 RX as an upgrade. FK'n expensive. I hope it was worth it. Will not know till spring now.
i'd say the brake master double pump problem is my biggest complaint. However - I think the issue is with the master and how it routes to the ABS unit. Not the calipers (remember, they use these same calipers on many many bikes with no issues)

·
Registered
141 Posts
i'd say the brake master double pump problem is my biggest complaint. However - I think the issue is with the master and how it routes to the ABS unit. Not the calipers f(remember, they use these same calipers on many many bikes with no issues)
Sorry you have the same problem. It sucks! It seems to affect a small % of M4 bikes including Ducati and Aprilla. Changing the calipers resolved it for me 100%. Now I just completed the work and it is below 0 C here now so I am not riding. Come spring I will be back on the twisties. The problem may sneek back in but I do not think so. I had it 100% before the change and it stopped immediately after.

It's been quite an adventure. The dealer I purchased the bike from was content to keep bleeding the brakes and charging for it. After getting a second dealer involved the following were replaced with no solution: full bleed from ABS, master cylinder and ABS unit. Then after the caliper pistions were cleaned and lubed the problem was reduced by about 50%. At that point I came across a guy who did it a few times and it seemed to work better each time. He started doing it as part of his regular maintenance. At that point I just decided to replace them.

My theory is piston retraction based on the seals. The seals just pull 1 or more pistions back a little further.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Sorry you have the same problem. It sucks! It seems to affect a small % of M4 bikes including Ducati and Aprilla. Changing the calipers resolved it for me 100%. Now I just completed the work and it is below 0 C here now so I am not riding. Come spring I will be back on the twisties. The problem may sneek back in but I do not think so. I had it 100% before the change and it stopped immediately after.

It's been quite an adventure. The dealer I purchased the bike from was content to keep bleeding the brakes and charging for it. After getting a second dealer involved the following were replaced with no solution: full bleed from ABS, master cylinder and ABS unit. Then after the caliper pistions were cleaned and lubed the problem was reduced by about 50%. At that point I came across a guy who did it a few times and it seemed to work better each time. He started doing it as part of his regular maintenance. At that point I just decided to replace them.

My theory is piston retraction based on the seals. The seals just pull 1 or more pistions back a little further.
Ah good to know! I'm sure there are many owners here with the same problem.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious to see how everyone is tracking along with their 821's?

I was dead set on picking up an 821 SP but to be honest all the stories of dodgy starters, RBW issues, and other electrical faults are really turning me off. I have a few bikes to get around on, but doesn't mean I want to be stranded up in the hills an hour from anywhere.

I think the 821 is the better bike for 2up riding which is a big part of my brief, but thinking a 1290 SDR or Hyper 1100 SP may be a better bet.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts