Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Mine started the ----- nonsense a few months ago. I called the dealer and after speaking with whoever he said they could hook it up to the computer and resolve the problem. I've been to lazy to make the trip to get it fixed yet.

The glass in my right mirror has come loose also. He said that they would replace it with an OE piece. What aftermarket mirrors would anybody recommend?

·
Registered
38 Posts
So I went out for a rip today, cold/windy/drizzly, but I needed my fix for the day, stopped to get gasoline and when trying to start the bike....wouldn't crank, it took like four attempts, finally got it going, but now my mileage meter/counter its just blinking (------) . I guess I need to take a trip to the dealer soon. *sigh*.
Did it also reset your clock?
I know the meter does ------ if you're looking at the fuel consumption when the bike is stopped.
Have you had a load test done on your battery?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Did it also reset your clock?
I know the meter does ------ if you're looking at the fuel consumption when the bike is stopped.
Have you had a load test done on your battery?
It didn't reset the clock, just the mile counter, not it reads; TOT --------- instead of TOTAL 3******. I haven't had the battery tested, the damn thing is practically new, bought it last December and it only has 3900 miles.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Mine started the ----- nonsense a few months ago. I called the dealer and after speaking with whoever he said they could hook it up to the computer and resolve the problem. I've been to lazy to make the trip to get it fixed yet.

The glass in my right mirror has come loose also. He said that they would replace it with an OE piece. What aftermarket mirrors would anybody recommend?
Here's what I use - I've used them on 2 bikes now and they're just very good mirrors:

using ktm mirrors - great at a fair price - Ducati Hyperstrada Forum

For me the stockers were too narrow, and kept shifting so I ended up looking at my knee instead of the tractor trailer coming up behind me. These have a better angle of view, and stay put.

·
Registered
406 Posts
It didn't reset the clock, just the mile counter, not it reads; TOT --------- instead of TOTAL 3******. I haven't had the battery tested, the damn thing is practically new, bought it last December and it only has 3900 miles.
You have a starter problem and it's putting a load on your electrics/electronics. This is a known problem, and my guess is it's causing the other problems. I'd get it replaced - do a reset and go from there. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
660 Posts
To those of you that have had the starter motor replaced, what was your approach when taking it to the dealership ? How long did it take them to replace it and were they aware of the problem from previous owners bringing their bikes in for the same problem ?? I have two track day weekends coming up and I don't want to leave the bike there for too long.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Throttle failure

After reading some of the nightmare's people have been going through, I thought I had dodged a bullet with my 2013 821SP, that is until the other day when the throttle became unresponsive. Nothing appeared on the dash for the first 2 miles or so of traffic. I hit a stop light and was able to key off/on the bike which resolved the issue for a short amount of time. When the error occurred again, the dash flashed "errors" and then after a minute or so the dash returned to normal, but the throttle problem persisted. Heading in next Friday morning to have the recall done.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To those of you that have had the starter motor replaced, what was your approach when taking it to the dealership ? How long did it take them to replace it and were they aware of the problem from previous owners bringing their bikes in for the same problem ?? I have two track day weekends coming up and I don't want to leave the bike there for too long.
Took me 3 trips, had to make videos as every time I took it, they said they couldn`t reproduce it. Then they said i was letting the starter button go at tdc (they are full of it)... kept trying till they fixed it.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Well, I took the bike to the dealership last Wednesday, I had spoken with the tech about it the day before that, I had to ride the bike there ( 110 miles ) after doing some paperwork, he went out to inspect the bike as usual, tried starting it, no luck, so the problem was reproduced immediately. The Duc tech has to inspect it and determine the problem and hopefully Ducati covers it under warranty in a TIMELY manner

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, I took the bike to the dealership last Wednesday, I had spoken with the tech about it the day before that, I had to ride the bike there ( 110 miles ) after doing some paperwork, he went out to inspect the bike as usual, tried starting it, no luck, so the problem was reproduced immediately. The Duc tech has to inspect it and determine the problem and hopefully Ducati covers it under warranty in a TIMELY manner
my dealer had seen many bikes with the same problem. The service writer told me they did 6 hypers within the past 2 weeks alone. He noticed it real quick and they didnt question doing the warranty work.

·
Registered
660 Posts
my dealer had seen many bikes with the same problem. The service writer told me they did 6 hypers within the past 2 weeks alone. He noticed it real quick and they didnt question doing the warranty work.
The service manager told me that he'd never heard of that problem with the new gen Hypers, I guess they don't sell many Motards or Stradas around this area.

·
Registered
660 Posts
So the tech finally inspected the bike yesterday, he took it all apart and determined that the part at fault was the clutch one way, he said he tested the starter motor and it was working as it should, eventhough I told him that I believed the main problem is the starter motor, he said Ducati wont warranty a part that is not defective, hmmm. Hopefully the part they are replacing will fix the issue, I doubt it but, then again, I'm not a Duc tech.

·
Registered
946 Posts
So the tech finally inspected the bike yesterday, he took it all apart and determined that the part at fault was the clutch one way, he said he tested the starter motor and it was working as it should, eventhough I told him that I believed the main problem is the starter motor, he said Ducati wont warranty a part that is not defective, hmmm. Hopefully the part they are replacing will fix the issue, I doubt it but, then again, I'm not a Duc tech.
They have had the starter clutches fail, fwiw. My dealer told me Ducati asked for pictures of the starter clutch before they would approve a new starter motor. Mine checked out okay, so they replaced the motor and that was that.

·
Registered
660 Posts
They have had the starter clutches fail, fwiw. My dealer told me Ducati asked for pictures of the starter clutch before they would approve a new starter motor. Mine checked out okay, so they replaced the motor and that was that.
Well, they replaced the starter clutch and that did not work, I got the bike back and its doing it the same thing as before, I took it back to the dealership and as soon as I walked in, the guy at the counter told me that he can't replaced the stater motor if it isn't broken. The shop manager told me that he was going to speak to a Ducati representative and go from there. I told them that this isn't an isolated problem, its happening to owners across the states and Canada, and obviously Ducati has to be aware of the problem. What the hell do I have to do for them to replace the starter motor ???? :mad:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Well, they replaced the starter clutch and that did not work, I got the bike back and its doing it the same thing as before, I took it back to the dealership and as soon as I walked in, the guy at the counter told me that he can't replaced the stater motor if it isn't broken. The shop manager told me that he was going to speak to a Ducati representative and go from there. I told them that this isn't an isolated problem, its happening to owners across the states and Canada, and obviously Ducati has to be aware of the problem. What the hell do I have to do for them to replace the starter motor ???? :mad:
Find a new dealer? Submit a complaint via the ducati website?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Find a new dealer? Submit a complaint via the ducati website?
I ended up taking it back and told them I was beyond pissed with their customer service, left the bike there Wednesday and they called me back today, they said Ducati agreed to send a new starter motor, even tough according to the tech, there is nothing wrong with mine. So hopefully this new one will last more than 4K miles this time.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Good luck on the bikes boys.

My second hyper now has the same problems.

I'm urging everyone to pressure Ducati's social media, I know I will be. I'm fed the fuck up.

Video will be out tomorrow at 8 AM PST.

youtube.com/snowcatxx87
No, not another one!!! I've pretty much come to the conclusion that as great as it is to ride, it isn't worth the fear of breaking down all the time. I'm still waiting on parts from Italy, but hopefully it'll be back together early next week. It's tough to find something comparable to trade it in for without compromising what I like about the Hyper. Sucks...

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I have not seen the starter issue causing problems with the 15 SP , besides snowcat, mine is fine so far , are most of these starter problems with the 14 hypers ??

141 - 160 of 193 Posts