Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

181 - 193 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Thanks mate. No issues at all?
Had all the recalls done including the TCU. The TCU put me in limp mode on and off for a couple of days. The repair was free and "while you wait". Other than that it has been totally reliable. I usually ride fully loaded, rain and shine with some dirt thrown in. I have a lot of confidence in the machine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm curious to see how everyone is tracking along with their 821's?

I was dead set on picking up an 821 SP but to be honest all the stories of dodgy starters, RBW issues, and other electrical faults are really turning me off. I have a few bikes to get around on, but doesn't mean I want to be stranded up in the hills an hour from anywhere.

I think the 821 is the better bike for 2up riding which is a big part of my brief, but thinking a 1290 SDR or Hyper 1100 SP may be a better bet.
I just traded my 2014 hyper SP om a 2017 Super Duke R. I had a lot of issue with my Duc. Starter replaced twice, warped rotors, replaced ABS, double pump M4s, neutral safety switch twice, leaking air box seal. The biggest issue was the time to repair. 1 week to diagnose, 10 days to order parts and 1 week to repair. Being down 4 weeks in a short season was unacceptable to me. Of course my KTM may not be any better for service. Will have to wait and see.

I was very attached to my Duc, but I feel the KTM is twice the bike. The only exception is the suspension, which may be a little better on the SP. At least with the Ohlins in the rear.

They are 2 different bikes. The hyper is a little more practical, the long travel is great for country roads and you will have less worries for speed traps. The R is silly fast and the handling is almost telepathic. I already have some points and a fine. So if you get the R watch the speed.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I just traded my 2014 hyper SP om a 2017 Super Duke R. I had a lot of issue with my Duc. Starter replaced twice, warped rotors, replaced ABS, double pump M4s, neutral safety switch twice, leaking air box seal. The biggest issue was the time to repair. 1 week to diagnose, 10 days to order parts and 1 week to repair. Being down 4 weeks in a short season was unacceptable to me. Of course my KTM may not be any better for service. Will have to wait and see.

I was very attached to my Duc, but I feel the KTM is twice the bike. The only exception is the suspension, which may be a little better on the SP. At least with the Ohlins in the rear.

They are 2 different bikes. The hyper is a little more practical, the long travel is great for country roads and you will have less worries for speed traps. The R is silly fast and the handling is almost telepathic. I already have some points and a fine. So if you get the R watch the speed.
Thanks very much for the feedback mate. It really does seem like there was some poor QC going on with the 821's, as some people seem to be almost trouble free (or as close to as you can with a Euro bike), while others such as yourself have what I believe to be a completely unacceptable amount of issues with a bike made in the last few years. I'd be pretty dirty if my bike was off the road for a month at a time in a limited riding season.

The Hypers really excite me and make me feel like a hoon every time I jump on one, plus I think they're probably better for a pillion with the one piece seat, but the SDR is near-perfect. My concern with it is, as you've said, that controlling the speed is an issue. It's so bloody fast that you can't use that much of it on the street. I prefer having 100hp or so and wringing it out for a few gears and feeling like I'm working the bike a little more. That's the quandary that I'm in...good problem to have, I know :)

An 1100 SP, 821 SP and a '15 SDR are all a similar price here so for me its coming down to excitement, pillion accommodation, and reliability. All great bikes no doubt.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks very much for the feedback mate. It really does seem like there was some poor QC going on with the 821's, as some people seem to be almost trouble free (or as close to as you can with a Euro bike), while others such as yourself have what I believe to be a completely unacceptable amount of issues with a bike made in the last few years. I'd be pretty dirty if my bike was off the road for a month at a time in a limited riding season.

The Hypers really excite me and make me feel like a hoon every time I jump on one, plus I think they're probably better for a pillion with the one piece seat, but the SDR is near-perfect. My concern with it is, as you've said, that controlling the speed is an issue. It's so bloody fast that you can't use that much of it on the street. I prefer having 100hp or so and wringing it out for a few gears and feeling like I'm working the bike a little more. That's the quandary that I'm in...good problem to have, I know :)

An 1100 SP, 821 SP and a '15 SDR are all a similar price here so for me its coming down to excitement, pillion accommodation, and reliability. All great bikes no doubt.
If you can find an 1100sp Corse it may even be collectable one day.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Tricky to assess things from forums as people write in both with problems and issues due to unfamiliarity with the bike.

Didn't read the whole thread, but if 2 up is your thing, the strada will probably be better than the sp. The sp is very tall, and the engine mapped for aggressive response. The strada can be aggressive, but assuming your chain is in good order, and your wrist has some discipline, it can be ridden quite smoothly. It has genuine touring potential.

Never ridden the air cooled motards, but generally, water cooled engines are more durable, built to tighter specs, and the the scheduled maintenance is much wider spread.

Whatever you choose, try to get a service history, and size up the owner. Most issues the bikes have had were resolved by ducati as part of recalls and/or good will repairs. They're pretty good with this.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Tricky to assess things from forums as people write in both with problems and issues due to unfamiliarity with the bike.

Didn't read the whole thread, but if 2 up is your thing, the strada will probably be better than the sp. The sp is very tall, and the engine mapped for aggressive response. The strada can be aggressive, but assuming your chain is in good order, and your wrist has some discipline, it can be ridden quite smoothly. It has genuine touring potential.

Never ridden the air cooled motards, but generally, water cooled engines are more durable, built to tighter specs, and the the scheduled maintenance is much wider spread.

Whatever you choose, try to get a service history, and size up the owner. Most issues the bikes have had were resolved by ducati as part of recalls and/or good will repairs. They're pretty good with this.
Very true. I usually take what I read on forums with a grain of salt, though the 821 does seem to have a disproportionate amount of people with issues with the RBW and electrical gremlins. One guy I was speaking with acknowledged the issue, and though his 821 was yet to experience an issue it fell within the VIN range so he did the change himself as Ducati OZ don't recognise the issue. That's the type of bike I'd want to buy.

I was originally going down the 'strada path but the lack of ground clearance and money I'd want to put into suspension made me think the SP may be the better option. I'm 6'4" so seat height is no issue for me, though it may be for my pillion. There's a nice 'strada here with Marzocchi forks which may actually be the perfect combo, giving some ride height, but having all of the 'strada benefits as well. Thrown a nice rear shock in it and it'd probably be the perfect thing.

·
Registered
2014 Ducati 821 Hpermotard, 2007 KTM 525xcw Dakar, 2003 Suzuki SV1000S 1994 BMWR100GS
7 Posts
OMG my bike's starting issues are getting worse and worse.

Half the time it starts right up in <1 second
The other half the time it takes like 5 tries to get it started. Today it took almost 10 seconds. Wasn't sure if it was gonna start. This happens when it's warmed up usually.

Those of you who got the starter replaced did it fix it permanently still?
Mine is doing exactly what you describe. After 30 or so km’s its hard to start!

·
Registered
2014 Ducati 821 Hpermotard, 2007 KTM 525xcw Dakar, 2003 Suzuki SV1000S 1994 BMWR100GS
7 Posts
That's how mine acts too, and had a few others who experienced the same symptoms we are having. The starter is what's causing the problem. Not the starter clutch or anything else. When mine starts, the LED plate light and dash dim like the battery is low, when my battery is always fully charged. Our starters are drawing too much current and not starting the bike the first time as it should. The solenoid works just fine, and also bypassed it to make sure. The starter still cranks over slow and laborious, even when direct power is connected to it. It should spin free and fast to start the bike, comes nowhere near close.
My starter after hot sounds like it’s dying a torturous death!

·
Registered
7 Posts
It's obvious the Audi ownership has been positive. The latest Ducatis are better performing and more advanced than ever before. And the new Multi DVT is a game changer.

About the clutch. I've ridden a lot of bikes. There is nothing wrong with the Hyper clutch. It doesn't feel any more grabby than a 450 motocross bike. The only different effect is that if you romp on the throttle before full engagement it will grab more quickly due to the ramping mechanism in the slipper.
Love your analogy! I just sold a Yamaha YZF450 and I bought a 14 Ducati Hypermotard.Riding it today reminded me of the 450, but on the street! So much fun, love this bike!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I
No problems here! :) love the clutch and no problems with the throttle
really have come to the conclusion that these complaints come from the lack of knowledge on how the traction control works on these bikes! My 14 Hyper is amazing ,love how I can gear down with no chance of rear wheel lock up! Ducati made me a fan.

181 - 193 of 193 Posts