Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,
in the last month I have been experiencing difficulties to start my Hyper 821 '2013.
The starter motor begin to spin and then it looks like it finds too much counter-pressure from the main engine and cannot rotate it any more and stops.
If I continue to keep the start button pressed the starter motor begin again to spin and is able to rotate the main engine but the engine doesn't start as if it nevers reach the correct RPM .
I have read around the forums that one reason could be the deterioration of the copper inside the cheap cables running from the battery to the starter motor.
I think that another possible cause could be from the Neutral sensor that tells the CPU that the engine is in Neutral.
Sometimes when I turn the ignition key I can see the green light of the neutral is off even though I am positive that the engine is in Neutral; as you know if the CPU thinks that the engine is not in neutral the only option to start the engine is to engage the clutch lever.
So my thought is: "what if, while the starter motor is beginning to rotate the engine, the neutral sensor begins to send wrong intermittent short signals to the CPU which decides to stop intermittently the flow of electricity to the starter" ?
I will try to see if this problem occurs as well while starting the engine and keeping the clutch lever engaged ( as to bypass the hypotetical intermittent wrong neutral signal ).
I will try to upload a video as well

·
Registered
946 Posts
Starter motor

Ducati updated the part recently to a DENSO brand motor. You can find this for ~$200 on eBay, or perhaps find the Denso part number.

·
Registered
174 Posts
They may replace for free, even if out of warranty, as it's a known issue. Ducati is pretty good about this stuff, so it's worth asking about at your dealer.
I wouldn't say they're "pretty good" about this stuff, but if you politely but firmly push them, they will more than likely replace it.

·
270 Posts
They'll replace it, my dealer of course tried not listening to me. I told them the starter motor is going and it's like they automatically assume we know nothing about our bikes! I got the "Well how do you know that?" "Well, the solenoid is fine, the grounds are fine, the battery is fully charged, no hot cables (bad ground or connection), and no breaks in the wires or frays, the starter motor was tested with a different battery separately only to reproduce the same symptoms. That's how I know it's the starter motor." I dropped it off and the mechanic comes out and I started it in front of him and after 5-7 seconds it struggles and turns over after constant revolutions. "Yeah... it's the starter motor... I'll go replace it now" That was with a Shorai lithium battery too. I was back on the road in 2 days and because of this event, extended my warranty another 2 years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And here is a video where you can hear the noise...

https://youtu.be/N2_zETNF3XA

BTW even if I keep the clutch lever pulled, I still get the starter issue so I can rule out a bad neutral sensor signal.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Kind of defines "pretty good".:smile2:
Well when my dealer tells me "Ducati NA said no, we aren't going to ask again", and I have to call them myself a few times over a period of a week (and send a very long winded email about how they know they're in the wrong) just to get them to finally replace it, I wouldn't constitute that as "pretty good".

My 2 cents.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Well when my dealer tells me "Ducati NA said no, we aren't going to ask again", and I have to call them myself a few times over a period of a week (and send a very long winded email about how they know they're in the wrong) just to get them to finally replace it, I wouldn't constitute that as "pretty good".

My 2 cents.
I definitely hear you - I'm in the same boat with my bags. I do think the company should be more forthright about this stuff - part of luxury service - but they're not. About on par with the other Euros, and not a great way to do business.

The other side of the equation is the dealer. They have to push for you, some do and some don't.

But yeah - everyone shouldn't have to play pretend - It should be: Our starter motors suck, here's another one.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

My 2 cents.
Hi monocog007. May I ask you if you have any emails from your interaction with Ducati NA that you could forward to me so that I could use them as a precedent case in order to have also my starter motor replaced ?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Hi monocog007. May I ask you if you have any emails from your interaction with Ducati NA that you could forward to me so that I could use them as a precedent case in order to have also my starter motor replaced ?
My "long winded" email was actually in regards to the panniers having the seams pull at the zippers with very light use. But basically, all I did was say that the part number changed, and I knew the reason as to why it changed (they added reinforcement stitches at the zipper's seams), and I want the new part because mine failed for the same reason that they updated it for. Make sense?

Email corporate telling them that the part number change is the reason why you're upset that they won't acknowledge the problem you're having. Tell them that if there was no problem with the starter motor that you have (original part #), why did they change the part number and move to a new manufacturer for the part. That should put the ball in their court. But be sure to be respectful, yet firm.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys! When did they change the starter engine? I have a 2014 and if I let the bike stand for 3-4 days it struggles to start. If I charge the battery for half an hour it starts without a problem so it might be a bad battery also but the bike only has done 3000 km so it would be strange with a faulty battery already.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the starter motor issue on my 14'.

It would start immediately when it was cold but once it warmed up and I went to start it it wouldn't turn over. Your issue sounds like it's probably battery/alternator related?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi everybody,
in the last month I have been experiencing difficulties to start my Hyper 821 '2013.
The starter motor begin to spin and then it looks like it finds too much counter-pressure from the main engine and cannot rotate it any more and stops.
If I continue to keep the start button pressed the starter motor begin again to spin and is able to rotate the main engine but the engine doesn't start as if it nevers reach the correct RPM .
I have read around the forums that one reason could be the deterioration of the copper inside the cheap cables running from the battery to the starter motor.
I think that another possible cause could be from the Neutral sensor that tells the CPU that the engine is in Neutral.
Sometimes when I turn the ignition key I can see the green light of the neutral is off even though I am positive that the engine is in Neutral; as you know if the CPU thinks that the engine is not in neutral the only option to start the engine is to engage the clutch lever.
So my thought is: "what if, while the starter motor is beginning to rotate the engine, the neutral sensor begins to send wrong intermittent short signals to the CPU which decides to stop intermittently the flow of electricity to the starter" ?
I will try to see if this problem occurs as well while starting the engine and keeping the clutch lever engaged ( as to bypass the hypotetical intermittent wrong neutral signal ).
I will try to upload a video as well
I am having this problem, how did you resolve yours?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts