Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i pulled the bike apart in the fall to check the valve clearances. I'm at about 6800 miles and its the first time I've attempted this. All in all it wasn't too bad. I have the Desmotimes manual and my clearances were within the ducati spec listed, but not all of them were within the author's "prefered" specs. I put her back together and figured I wait till the spring to decide if I wanna swap some shims out or ride it a few more miles and check it again.

Anyway I was wondering what method you guys used to tension your belts? As per Ducati they should be set with a harmonic frequency thing. I didn't want to spend the $$ at the time for one (i thought the method was pretty ridiculous) and I tried a few apps on my iphone but I couldn't get any reliable results. The desmotimes manual says you can use a 5mm and a 1mm hex key to measure the deflection of the belts so thats what i did and thats how she currently sits. I turned the motor over several times to check for any binding and went out for maybe a 5 mile test ride with no problems.

So I have been thinking about it most of the winter and with riding season getting close I am getting slightly paranoid. How do you guys set the tension?

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had the same experience as you. The apps (basically guitar tuners) weren't giving me reliable results. I used the allen key method instead, test rode it a bit and then proceeded to put 3000 miles on it over the next 5 months with no problems.
I think you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I use an old corded pc microphone that I removed from its plastic casing. It looks like a silver pill with a wire coming out. I have used different programs and tuners all with similarly good results. Courroies from DucatiDiag works well.

t_bare

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
On the Multistrada, I've used an app called Panotuner (sic). I hold the phone right by the belt as I pluck it and get consistent results. For the Hyper, I've used the allen key method. This method has been used by many for years.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I use the Motoreva MT-112. Tried other apps and methods but this tool gives me the most accurate reading.
Now that I have a really good shop I work with, this will be going up for sale in the near future.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I own the MotoReva tool also, and it is a very quality tool worth the price asked. I bounced the same question about tensions to my local Ducati Master Tech, and his reply was..........If you were supposed to tension the belt with a allen key then that's what the service manual would say to do. I guess the end result is do you want to play it safe, I don't want a belt failure to ruin either of my Duc's engines over buying a $250 tool. I can wind it up and not worry that it's not done right. Just my .02

Uli-

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Courroies from DucatiDiag works well.
t_bare
+1 I found it works very well. Not only does it give consistent readings, but it gives you a visual so you get a sense of the quality of the reading.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I just replaced my Belts tonight used LT's Specs
4mm for Vert. and 1mm for horizontal. Checked
the Horizontal with CBMT Tool and it was at
109 LT's Spec is 110. CBMT worked great and
is free as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey hypermo, sorry to sound ignorant...lol...but can you decode your acronyms for me.
I'm gonna be giving the belt change a go next week
Thanks, sorry again if I sound like a doofus, cheers Rob

·
Registered
662 Posts
Hey hypermo, sorry to sound ignorant...lol...but can you decode your acronyms for me.
I'm gonna be giving the belt change a go next week
Thanks, sorry again if I sound like a doofus, cheers Rob
LT = 'LT Snyder Maintenance Guide', unofficial bible for Ducati maintenance. Clicky.

CMBT = 'Cam Belt Measuring Tool' for Ducati engines, the app you can see in the screenshot in hypermo's post - available from here.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Ah ha, thanks Spex, that all makes perfect sense now, thanks for the links, much appreciated, cheers
Rob

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ah ha, thanks Spex, that all makes perfect sense now, thanks for the links, much appreciated, cheers
Rob
I used California Cycle works exact fit belts they were as advertised
an exact fit. They also have a nice cam holding tool that keeps the
cam from moving when the belt is off. If you are a tool junkie its
a nice inexpensive tool that works great but you can do it fine w/o
it. It's a very easy job to do took no time at all.
2V Cam Lock Tool | ca-cycleworks.com

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
I was messing around with a PC mic today & some tuner apps on my Android phone...htz reading were a bit too inconsistent...probably gonna go with the 5mm Allen key trick.
Does anyone know why the EVO hypers don't have any dots or pulley marks on the inner belts covers?
I only find marks on the crankcase that align with the drive pulley.
For reference points, what do most of you guys do...make your own marks on the covers?
Also if I don't have the cam locking tool for the vertical cylinder, is it a mission to fight with the vertical cylinder pulley or not?
Looking at the tool, it looks almost as if I could fab one from a relevant size bolt
Thanks Rob

·
Registered
33 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts