Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Haven't been on this site for years...good to be back.

I got a 2010 Hyper1100 and my battery won't hold a charge anymore. Hooked it up to my car battery and left it running for hours and nothing. Not a big surprise as for the past couple years I've frequently have had to jump start it with my car or use a battery tender.

I need to order a new battery....would love to get any opinions on what to get (Brands, Types). I've heard about lithium batteries and I'm wondering if those are worth getting. Please let me know what you guys think....

Thanks

·
Premium Member
727 Posts
Hey guys,

Haven't been on this site for years...good to be back.

I got a 2010 Hyper1100 and my battery won't hold a charge anymore. Hooked it up to my car battery and left it running for hours and nothing. Not a big surprise as for the past couple years I've frequently have had to jump start it with my car or use a battery tender.

I need to order a new battery....would love to get any opinions on what to get (Brands, Types). I've heard about lithium batteries and I'm wondering if those are worth getting. Please let me know what you guys think....

Thanks
Shorai.

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
I opted for EarthX in mine. They are just as light as any other lithium ion. They also come with built in circuitry to self balance whereas most lithiums need a special charger to balance the cells. Also, EarthX has a good warranty and they stand behind their product. Excellent customer service.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I appreciate your input guys...I got a few more questions:

Will a lithium ion battery fit in the stock battery compartment? I ask because I know they are lighter which means they must be smaller, correct?

And lets say a lithium battery is dead....can i simply hook it up to my car battery and start it up...just like a normal battery or even connect it to a battery tender?

·
Sophomore Member
3,192 Posts
The battery will be smaller. They typically come with various sizes of foam pieces to put around the battery.

As for jumping and charging- you can still jump the bike the same as if it were a lead acid or AGM battery. As for chargers, you cannot use a charger that has a desulfurization mode. A typical battery tender is ok. The only issue is most lithium ion batteries will need balanced from time to time. This is why Shorai offers a battery charger for their batteries. The EarthX doesn't need a balancing type charger.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I appreciate your input guys...I got a few more questions:

Will a lithium ion battery fit in the stock battery compartment? I ask because I know they are lighter which means they must be smaller, correct?

And lets say a lithium battery is dead....can i simply hook it up to my car battery and start it up...just like a normal battery or even connect it to a battery tender?
You can buy lithium Antigravity batteries that come in the same size package as a stock battery but still weigh next to nothing. Thats what's in my hyper, and Shifttechcarbon usually has them on sale. I would guess most brands offer stock size cases with lightweight internals...

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just replaced my battery with a Lithium Shorai battery. It weighed 2.7 lbs vs the old battery at 9lbs.
The battery is very close to the original size and it comes with foam pads to raise the height to fit the battery box. This lithium battery will work with the Deltran battery Tender. Starts the bike up better than the old battery for sure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
What’s the CCC suggested for the 1100?

·
Registered
155 Posts
IF i were to buy a lithium battery for my hyper 1100 i'd be inclined to go with one that has the "self balancing circuitry" built in like the EarthX. I could be wrong, but isn't the recharging characteristics/alternator on the hyper designed for an old school lead acid battery (like the yuasa) where it supplies a constant charge? As opposed to a lithium battery which requires a balancing charge for the different cells? I'd imagine while you are riding the hyper is recharging the battery at a constant rate, and not balance charging the separate cells at the same time (which i think is required for lithium batteries.)

I only bring this up as I've gotten into RC cars that use lithium polymer batteries and those do require a balance charger. Otherwise the batteries go bad quickly as some cells get charged and other's don't. The cells that don't get charged, and drop below a certain voltage level, go bad.

Might not be an issue with a battery like Shorai if you are using a balance charger (at least a few times during its life.)

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've got Shorais in multiple vehicles over years with no issues. What is the difference with the EarthX?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got Shorais in multiple vehicles over years with no issues. What is the difference with the EarthX?
I had a couple Shorais on previous bikes but I didn't like having to worry about balancing cells (I had their charger/balancer too).

Stolen from EarthX's website:

–Over discharge protection (#1 killer of all batteries and other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)

–Over charge protection (Other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)

–Built in cell balancing technology (Other brands must use a special balancing charger in order to level the charge of each cell. Your vehicle is what charges the battery most of the time, if you do not have built in cell balancing technology, how is your battery balanced while using it?)

·
Registered
136 Posts
–Over discharge protection (#1 killer of all batteries and other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)
I have heard of this issue but never experienced it in person, I don't personally own any vehicles with significant parasitic draw. I did have my charging system fail while riding my 900SS and completely drain the battery, once charged it was fine.

–Over charge protection (Other brands do not protect against this and void the warranty)

–Built in cell balancing technology (Other brands must use a special balancing charger in order to level the charge of each cell. Your vehicle is what charges the battery most of the time, if you do not have built in cell balancing technology, how is your battery balanced while using it?)
So are these real things or just marketing nonsense speak? Again, from real world experience, I have no idea what unbalanced cells or overcharging would translate to. My shorai batteries run my bikes without issue, this is all I know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Good questions.
I never experienced over-discharage with my Shorais because I rode them often and used the Shorai charger. Nice to not have to worry about this though it may never be an issue.

I also used to do R/C cars and trucks (hi Joe) and built a number of A123/ LiFePo4 packs and balancing cells was definitely a "thing".
I'm the kind of guy who worries about such things though :nerd: .
A normal person would probably not care so much about built-in cell balancing.

I'm definitely not knocking Shorai or any other brand, I guess the EarthX marketing just works on me.:smile2:

Reactions: joeR6
1 - 17 of 17 Posts