Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi !

Is there alternatives for OEM rear sprocket on Hypermotard 1100 that would look like OEM sprocket ? Small thing, but looks like many of the aftermarket sprockets are "plain" without the weight saving holes. I don`t care about weight saving, but those solid sprockets without any holes (IMHO) look dull.

OEM sprocket cost +130$ and I might wanna try bigger (43-45) rear sprocket.

I would like to go with OEM setup without quick change carrier (if that`s even possible), regular 525 chain and sprocket should be steel.

Or should I just change the chain and front sprocket ? Rear is still in pretty good shape (in my opinion). Just small notch in pulling side.

20191230_204906.jpg 20191230_204927.jpg 20191230_204946.jpg

·
Registered
472 Posts
I pieced together my own kit for like $100 less than the sprocket center kit. Jt carrier from amazon for $60ish, did 520 erv3 chain for about $120, super sprockets front sprocket for $20ish and a Superlite rear for about $60. It was on my 821 but all the parts are the same except for tooth count. I believe I posted all the links on this forum or hyperstrada forum

·
Registered
32 Posts
Also I would go with the 520chain conversion
What's the benefit to this?

I don't believe in changing both sprockets "just because". If there's visible wear, sure, but if I can't see the wear I don't see the point in spending the extra money.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Lighter rotating mass. Makes the bike a little more snappy. OEM chains are notoriously inferior to aftermarket performance chains. Basically the conversion is just to shed weight on the rotating mass.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have read about the 520 conversion, but if 525 last even little longer and adjusting interval is longer I think I`ll stick with 525.

What do you think about that sprocket wear ? I`m not really an expert in this ?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just a little added info..... the 950 hyper sp comes from the factory with a 520 chain. As far as longevity, the actual sprockets I went with are steel. The JT carrier is aluminum which doesnt see any wear. OEM is a solid steel sprocket with carrier cast I to it. The aluminum carrier gives a bit of rotating weight reduction while not sacrificing durability. They will last just as long as OEM and the chain I went with should last just as long as OEM or longer because it is a very good chain.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh, interesting point on the 950. I've sort of settled on looking at the tensile strength of chains when choosing replacements, and that seems to roughly correspond to the displacement they claim to be for (as in "Max CC: 1200", which feels like a weird thing to spec a chain to). DID's 520ZVM-X is rated for 1200cc and 8,745 lbs tensile strength, so I guess that's sufficient for a Hyper 1100, but the 525ZVM-X is rated for 1300cc and 10,408 lbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh, interesting point on the 950. I've sort of settled on looking at the tensile strength of chains when choosing replacements, and that seems to roughly correspond to the displacement they claim to be for (as in "Max CC: 1200", which feels like a weird thing to spec a chain to). DID's 520ZVM-X is rated for 1200cc and 8,745 lbs tensile strength, so I guess that's sufficient for a Hyper 1100, but the 525ZVM-X is rated for 1300cc and 10,408 lbs.

·
Registered
32 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is a pretty strange method to rate chain specs :D I mean that bigger engine doesn`t always mean more power&torque but that`s offtopic.

If you have pictures about rear sprocket setups I would like to see :D I really don`t want to end up to "plain/flat" sprocket like this;

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I've just done my second set from Sprocket Centers for my 08 HyperS, I have bought 6 sets plus several single sprockets from them over the years and their level of customer care could not be better. I highly recommend them. Photo of the old one, new one looks the same just shiny and new.

t_bare

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sprocket center would be very expensive for me because I live in the Europe :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts