Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We rode out the storm, and survived relatively unscathed. We had to evacuate due to the house being unlivable, so for the time being, we are going to collect our thoughts in Daytona.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
981 Posts
From a fellow retired boom

Glad to know you're alive and well. I thought about trying to find out if you were okay when I saw the damage to Tyndall. So sad to see that. I survived Hurricane Opal there back in the mid 90s. That came ashore as a Cat III, and while the damage was servere, it was no where in the same league as what I saw on the AF Portal.....sean

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was very therapeutic to be on the bike today.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
We got pretty lucky; lost three windows in the living room and master bedroom, no trees near our house. Damage from the windows and water coming in but nothing to make the house unlivable. Power came back on last night, so that was a pleasant surprise. Garage doors dented and banged up from a ton of shingles but both bikes survived just fine!

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
Glad you all survived. I live in Port Charlotte part time and decided long ago I will NEVER try to ride out a hurricane. What’s the point ? I have insurance and I could use a new roof anyway.

·
Registered
981 Posts
We got pretty lucky; lost three windows in the living room and master bedroom, no trees near our house. Damage from the windows and water coming in but nothing to make the house unlivable. Power came back on last night, so that was a pleasant surprise. Garage doors dented and banged up from a ton of shingles but both bikes survived just fine!
Glad you are okay and your house is not too bad off. I lived in Calloway when I lived there. When we evacuated for Opal, I looked around the apartment complex I lived in, and found the tallest tree there. I took a wag at what direction the wind would hit from and parked my car under that tree. When I returned a week later, tree still standing, car undamaged. Not 100 feet from the drive that lead into my apartment complex, trees down, a couple through houses, shingles and sheet metal everywhere. Odd how some places got whacked while others, mere yards away stood unscathed.

I worked about 5 minutes from Mexico Beach, but still on Tyndall.....the shop where I worked was destroyed inside. Storm surge ripped the roll up doors off, took everything on the windward side of the shop and piled it all up on the other. Tool boxes, paint lockers...jacks, jack stands....all of it. There was a water line about 6 ft up the walls. Anything bolted down was completely wrecked. Electric motors for compressors and lifts were filled with sea water. It was a mess. I was only back to work for a couple of weeks before I PCS'd out. I was kind of relieved as I didn't have to deal with the aftermath for long.

There was one other member here who also worked on the Navy base....have you heard from him or know if he's okay?.....sean

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Glad you are okay and your house is not too bad off. I lived in Calloway when I lived there. When we evacuated for Opal, I looked around the apartment complex I lived in, and found the tallest tree there. I took a wag at what direction the wind would hit from and parked my car under that tree. When I returned a week later, tree still standing, car undamaged. Not 100 feet from the drive that lead into my apartment complex, trees down, a couple through houses, shingles and sheet metal everywhere. Odd how some places got whacked while others, mere yards away stood unscathed.

I worked about 5 minutes from Mexico Beach, but still on Tyndall.....the shop where I worked was destroyed inside. Storm surge ripped the roll up doors off, took everything on the windward side of the shop and piled it all up on the other. Tool boxes, paint lockers...jacks, jack stands....all of it. There was a water line about 6 ft up the walls. Anything bolted down was completely wrecked. Electric motors for compressors and lifts were filled with sea water. It was a mess. I was only back to work for a couple of weeks before I PCS'd out. I was kind of relieved as I didn't have to deal with the aftermath for long.

There was one other member here who also worked on the Navy base....have you heard from him or know if he's okay?.....sean
Haven't heard from the other navy base dude yet, hopefully he made it through fine!

I was around for Opal when I was in school; my parents house got flooded. Not a fun process there.

·
Registered
981 Posts
Hope things are going well for you guys....I was thinking I hadn't seen any further posts on this subject in the last week...but I've been at work and don't always see all the posts on this forum. I check in while I'm there, but I don't have a great deal of time to be online. Anyway, once again, I hope you guys are all doing okay and back in your houses....or very close to being so.......sean

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
I've been around; finally went back to work today for the first time since early October so that was kinda nice. Get back into a rhythm and get some normal stuff back. Our house is pretty much fine now, we removed all the wet drywall and insulation so we're rocking some rustic cabin bare stud look at the moment until we get new drywall and paint up but if you can live in your house here comfortably you're doing better than a ton of other folks here.

Hoping that the promises are true and Tyndall does rebuild because that would be pretty much the death of Panama City if they close up shop and move all that to other bases. Just have to see what happens.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm here as well. Don't have service out at my place, so it requires a run into town to get on the interwebs. Being out on the east side of town (off John Pitts, past Harders Park), we were high and dry. But we caught the west side of the eye, and took the shifting high winds.
The house is coming along, and I'm being told that we will be back working in the Air Operations Center on Tyndall by 1 Jan. My understanding is that we will be one of the only units operating on Tyndall for a couple of years.
Attached is a picture of my house during the eye. You can see the eye wall behind my house (looking due west). My shed was tossed off it's foundation through the fence and into the woods. It was sitting on the fence, tipped back when it was all over. Inside looked like it went through the spin cycle.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
All in all, it’s a win. Could have been so much worse. Glad to see you’re getting back on your feet.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I'm here as well. Don't have service out at my place, so it requires a run into town to get on the interwebs. Being out on the east side of town (off John Pitts, past Harders Park), we were high and dry. But we caught the west side of the eye, and took the shifting high winds.
The house is coming along, and I'm being told that we will be back working in the Air Operations Center on Tyndall by 1 Jan. My understanding is that we will be one of the only units operating on Tyndall for a couple of years.
Attached is a picture of my house during the eye. You can see the eye wall behind my house (looking due west). My shed was tossed off it's foundation through the fence and into the woods. It was sitting on the fence, tipped back when it was all over. Inside looked like it went through the spin cycle.
My apologies for not seeing this sooner.....I just got back from vacation and haven't been on the forum at all for a week or so.

Wow. I know Tyndall took a hit, but I didn't think it would be a couple of years before things were up and running. Given what I know about operations there anyway. I worked out at Wright Laboratory....after what that place looked like when Opal struck, I wouldn't be surprised if nothing at all were left out there....or at Silver Flag.

Glad your house is still in one piece mostly. Wishing you guys well in the rebuild effort....sean

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Just checking in and seeing how folks are doing. Currently learning the valuable life skill of dealing with homeowners insurance claims. I hate everything about it. I'd easily pay my hurricane deductible two or three times over to not have to deal with this; we at least still have a home we can live in for this though so I count myself in the lucky part of the area...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
We haven't heard crap from our insurance company. My wife calls everyday. We are hiring a public adjuster to deal with them.
The Air Operations Center is slowly coming back. I've been back to work on a limited basis for three weeks.
My wife and kids are still on the east coast with family. I spent Thanksgiving with them, and brought the MTS home. I can at least miss them...lol

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
I always try to vet the insurance company for hurricane coverage because many have been slow to pay, or did not pay. The advice I received was that it’s better to insure with a big national company, but you still need to check them out. Some of them didn’t pay either. Hint: Don’t insure with a company whose main office is on the coast. Many are. If the main office gets hit, you’re screwed.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
My wife is pushing me to not even get insurance because so many of them in Florida won’t pay after a hurricane anyway .

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
My wife is pushing me to not even get insurance because so many of them in Florida won’t pay after a hurricane anyway .
I know a couple folks here who didn't have insurance and have unfortunately lost pretty much everything; house has to be torn down, everything inside pretty much soaked. The insurance companies are definitely lowballing a lot of folks here but I also know people who are getting pretty fair deals and those who aren't seem to pick up some once they involve a lawyer (too bad it has to come to that though!). Hopefully this is a once in a lifetime event here though. If it's not we've already decided we're moving if another one like this comes through here anytime soon.

·
Registered
6,006 Posts
The weather is changing. I used to figure that since we caught a bad one a few years ago, and the edge of one last year, that the law of averages was on our side. I believe in climate change and I think it’s going to be worse for us, especially those near the coast like you and I. I could use a new roof but I’m hoping a storm takes mine before I break down and have it done. My luck, a hurricane will take off my new roof right after I have it done.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
The weather is changing. I used to figure that since we caught a bad one a few years ago, and the edge of one last year, that the law of averages was on our side. I believe in climate change and I think it’s going to be worse for us, especially those near the coast like you and I. I could use a new roof but I’m hoping a storm takes mine before I break down and have it done. My luck, a hurricane will take off my new roof right after I have it done.
Haha yea, our house is about 11 months old, so our roof is pretty new but now we're looking at possibly a full new roof. At least insurance is covering it!

·
Registered
981 Posts
Checking in.....

It's been quite some time since the members affected the most in this thread have been able to give any updates.

Just wanted all of you to know you haven't been forgotten. Hope you are all well and doing far better than before.....sean

1 - 20 of 26 Posts